Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting crows

Options
  • 28-08-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Today i was told it is illegal to shoot crows in ireland, is this true or false because ive been picking them off fairly often.. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mrbrendank wrote: »
    Today i was told it is illegal to shoot crows in ireland, is this true or false because ive been picking them off fairly often.. thanks

This is what I do with them....

image_zps0ae4f7be.jpg

Crows are classed as Vermin.

And the answer is False.
    Do I win anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »

Ireland has Geese ???

Never seen one in 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Ive seen them a couple of times. Flying way up there in their V formation. That's about it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've seen them alright. When doing the motorway around Cullahil to Cashel there was a field with them and the locals told me that they started coming in a few years ago.

I thought they were domestic, but he told me they were wild. As for Canadian geese. Never seen them but have heard reports about them being in very specific areas.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Why aren't magpies classed as vermin ? Nothing but noisy f***ing nuisances of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

rowa wrote: »
    Why aren't magpies classed as vermin ? Nothing but noisy f***ing nuisances of things.
    and starling,dirtiest little bas****s ever,,my area is plagued with them and would love to mass poison them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mrbrendank wrote: »

Who told you this drivel?
    and starling,dirtiest little bas****s ever,,my area is plagued with them and would love to mass poison them all

Starlings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The Aussie wrote: »
    Ireland has Geese ???

Never seen one in 12 years.

Was recently in Southampton and that place is crawling with them now.
    Every field that'll hold a small bit of water they are in. Also the farmers that have just plowed the fields they are picking the seeds. Be a haven for them.
    As for crows I thought they can be shot under derogation act??

Was recently in Southampton and that place is crawling with them now.
    Every field that'll hold a small bit of water they are in. Also the farmers that have just plowed the fields they are picking the seeds. Be a haven for them.

Would like to see that, purely because I've never seen any.

As for crows I thought they can be shot under derogation act??

Yep, the EU one.

Species covered under E.U. Derogation. rook, magpie, jackdaw, pigeon, greycrow. can be shot with shotgun or rifle if causing damage.....

• Advertisement

I couldn't believe it when I seem them.
    Hundreds all along the grass and rivers. And in the middle of the fields walking about like it was no big deal.

IMO magpies shouldn't be protected same as rooks. Ridiculous that they are protected

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

rowa wrote: »

I always thought they were. Along with hooded crows (grey crows), rooks and jackdaws.

Well these 4 are all classed as vermin by the NARGC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

syklops wrote: »
    Who told you this drivel?

Starlings?
    Two species of crow are protected in Ireland, raven and the threatened Chough.

Two species of crow are protected in Ireland, raven and the threatened Chough.

Over in the Nature and Bird Watching Forum you might get into semantics, over here a Crow is a Crow, a Grey Crow is a Grey Crow, a Raven is a Raven etcetera etcetera etcetera...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Sponge25

How is one supposed to defrentiate between the species? Only expert bird-watchers would know the differences of a rook and a raven etc.

Over in the Nature and Bird Watching Forum you might get into semantics, over here a Crow is a Crow, a Grey Crow is a Grey Crow, a Raven is a Raven etcetera etcetera etcetera...
    I'd have no problem with lads shooting Grey crow, magpie, rook and jackdaw. Shooting ravens is a different story and shooting threatened Chough which have around only 900 pairs in the Country is irresponsible.

Sponge25 wrote: »
    How is one supposed to defrentiate between the species? Only expert bird-watchers would know the differences of a rook and a raven etc.
    If somebody can't differentiate between protected species and vermin species, then they shouldn't be shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Chough have a higher pitched squeak and redish feet ..

Can tell them pretty easy and they fly differently to a common crow.

No the size difference is massive. Ravens are huge. Bigger than buzzards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Would like to see that, purely because I've never seen any.

Yep, the EU one.

Species covered under E.U. Derogation. rook, magpie, jackdaw, pigeon, greycrow. can be shot with shotgun or rifle if causing damage.....

Rooks/black crows, magpies, jackdaws and grey crows are birds I don't like. I would not shoot them as I don't agree with this but I would regard crows as noisy and as a nuisance. I like pigeons and all other birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

daveob007 wrote: »

At this time of year they have youngsters in toe so flocks are particulary large. They are protected though and the use of poison against any bird, protected or not, is illegal in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

around my house is full of grey crows and magpies, i have seen them work togeather to raid the nests of the small birds, hopefully next spring i will have a gun of some discription, there were two nests of grey crows, one male used to stand gaurd, while the females nested, i asked a guy with a rifle to get them he refused, as did a guy with a shotgun, why i dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I couldn't believe it when I seem them.
    Hundreds all along the grass and rivers. And in the middle of the fields walking about like it was no big deal.

You'll see something very similar around Dollymount Strand, near Clontarf and up along Bull Island when the geese arrive shortly.

I know starlings are considered pest in America and are controlled.
    Should be same here. They are horrible dirty birds.
    Sh1ting everywhere aswell.
    Plus I reckon with 7 1/2s you'd take out a few in a flock :)

I'd have no problem with lads shooting Grey crow, magpie, rook and jackdaw. Shooting ravens is a different story and shooting threatened Chough which have around only 900 pairs in the Country is irresponsible.

Sorry, I must have misread the thread title, I thought it read Shooting Crows, not Shooting Ravens and Threatened Chough, my mistake..... obviously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

flutered wrote: »
    around my house is full of grey crows and magpies, i have seen them work togeather to raid the nests of the small birds, hopefully next spring i will have a gun of some discription, there were two nests of grey crows, one male used to stand gaurd, while the females nested, i asked a guy with a rifle to get them he refused, as did a guy with a shotgun, why i dunno.

If you could get a larsen trap of some sort with a caller bird in it would be as effective as shooting them with shotgun and rifle.All you need is time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

ace86 wrote: »
    If you could get a larsen trap of some sort with a caller bird in it would be as effective as shooting them with shotgun and rifle.All you need is time and patience.

can one get a fake call bird, i have both the time and the patience as i am disabled, the weanlings will be in in a few months and them scavangers will be annoying the tits off me, also the wan next door lets out food and the are living it up, the trap come next october baited at night ther should be something in it after a few nights, hopefully the king scald crow, as grey crows are known as hereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

flutered wrote: »
    can one get a fake call bird, i have both the time and the patience as i am disabled, the weanlings will be in in a few months and them scavangers will be annoying the tits off me, also the wan next door lets out food and the are living it up, the trap come next october baited at night ther should be something in it after a few nights, hopefully the king scald crow, as grey crows are known as hereabouts.

If there is a Gun Club near you try and get in contact with them they will most likely give you cages with a callerbird and all or if you post something up here where your from and things some fellow might be able to help.

Sorry, I must have misread the thread title, I thought it read Shooting Crows, not Shooting Ravens and Threatened Chough, my mistake..... obviously :rolleyes:
    Raven and Chough are crows.

• Advertisement

I know starlings are considered pest in America and are controlled.
    Should be same here. They are horrible dirty birds.
    Sh1ting everywhere aswell.
    Plus I reckon with 7 1/2s you'd take out a few in a flock :)
    Starlings are not native to the Americas. They are an alien invasive species there and compete with native birds for nest holes. They are native here in Europe and numbers are declining so that is why they are protected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement