Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting crows

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Starlings are not native to the Americas. They are an alien invasive species there and compete with native birds for nest holes. They are native here in Europe and numbers are declining so that is why they are protected.

not declining where i am,hundreds of the little flying rats ****ting everywhere and even coming into my garden in flocks to eat the dogs food,tried owl decoy to no effect either,live in built up area so most houses have them nesting in attics etc,any suggestions to get rid of them???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Raven and Chough are crows.

Fallow, Sika, Reds both Stags/Bucks and Doe's are all Deer, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

daveob007 wrote: »
    not declining where i am,hundreds of the little flying rats ****ting everywhere and even coming into my garden in flocks to eat the dogs food,tried owl decoy to no effect either,live in built up area so most houses have them nesting in attics etc,any suggestions to get rid of them???

+1 on that
    They're all over the place were I am. Too many of them. Seen them sittin on hawk decoys. They cop on to it after a while. They're dirty rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Cass wrote: »
    I've seen them alright. When doing the motorway around Cullahil to Cashel there was a field with them and the locals told me that they started coming in a few years ago.

I thought they were domestic, but he told me they were wild. As for Canadian geese. Never seen them but have heard reports about them being in very specific areas.

Cullahill fair close to me lad see them in the V formation as well im not sure but i think im seeing sea birds up in laois :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The Aussie wrote: »
    Ireland has Geese ???

Never seen one in 12 years.

I know its the uk , but they get pretty much what we have here.

http://youtu.be/XKqaDv2Y7Rk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Over in the Nature and Bird Watching Forum you might get into semantics, over here a Crow is a Crow, a Grey Crow is a Grey Crow, a Raven is a Raven etcetera etcetera etcetera...

couldn't disagree more.
    we have rooks..shoot em
    Jackdaws..shoot em
    hooded crows..shoot em
    magpies..shoot em

choughs and ravens are easily distinguishable and should not be shot. if you can't tell the difference or worse don't care then you shouldn't be shooting imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

couldn't disagree more.
    we have rooks..shoot em
    Jackdaws..shoot em
    hooded crows..shoot em
    magpies..shoot em

choughs and ravens are easily distinguishable and should not be shot. if you can't tell the difference or worse don't care then you shouldn't be shooting imo.

Thats what he said.

syklops wrote: »
    Thats what he said.

Sorry if i picked him up wrong.
    I thought he was saying that a crow is a crow (ie jackdaw, rook and chough = crow)

Sorry if i picked him up wrong.
    I thought he was saying that a crow is a crow (ie jackdaw, rook and chough = crow)

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not so I will break it down further for you.

Over in the Nature and Bird Watching Forum you might get into semantics, over here
    a Crow is a Crow,
    a Grey Crow is a Grey Crow,
    a Raven is a Raven
    etcetera etcetera etcetera...

Get back to me if its still difficult, I can do up some stick figures for you, or maybe try reading first and posting second, it normally works a treat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

magpies..shoot em

Magpies are horrid horrid creatures.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not so I will break it down further for you.

Get back to me if its still difficult, I can do up some stick figures for you, or maybe try reading first and posting second, it normally works a treat...

pull them knots out of your knickers there and calm down. you said a crow is just a crow. well your pain wrong there because rooks, Jackdaws and choughs as well as hooded crows are all crows. and if your going around shooting choughs because they are crows then you've no business shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Magpies are horrid horrid creatures.

Agreed id shoot them all day if i could but there aint many left :P

And we were destined to discuss ravens, evermore.

pull them knots out of your knickers there and calm down. you said a crow is just a crow. well your pain wrong there because rooks, Jackdaws and choughs as well as hooded crows are all crows. and if your going around shooting choughs because they are crows then you've no business shooting.

I will just go ahead and quote myself from earlier up the page for ease.
    Fallow, Sika, Reds both Stags/Bucks and Doe's are all Deer, :rolleyes:

Do people just go ahead a shoot the above because its Deer Season?

I fail to see where you are getting caught up on the post, many others easily see where the post went, was it the big words? To many syllables perhaps? semantics and etcetera etcetera etcetera could be fairly imposing to some I suppose, do you still need those stick figures there Champ?
    Or maybe your trying to defend your post because you jumped in without engaging the old grey matter first maybe, baby Jesus wept.

Do you spend everyday life looking to find outrage? Btw I love the following, makes me giggle and says more about you than me... kudos.
    then you shouldn't be shooting imo.
    then you've no business shooting.

1shot16 wrote: »

Loads left.
    They're just dog wide though.
    Smart as fcuk aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

1shot16 wrote: »
    reeding season

there are a half dozen breeding nests within eye sight of my yard this breeding season, next breeding season i hope to get some one to arrive at half nine at night, and blow the nests to smithereens from underneath to get rid of all the family.

flutered wrote: »
    reeding season

there are a half dozen breeding nests within eye sight of my yard this breeding season, next breeding season i hope to get some one to arrive at half nine at night, and blow the nests to smithereens from underneath to get rid of all the family.

I love how you have the exact time decided.

Well everyone knows that half 9 is when all birds are sitting on their nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

being disabled gives one time to be more obsversvent to what is going on areound one.

I will just go ahead and quote myself from earlier up the page for ease.

Do people just go ahead a shoot the above because its Deer Season?

I fail to see where you are getting caught up on the post, many others easily see where the post went, was it the big words? To many syllables perhaps? semantics and etcetera etcetera etcetera could be fairly imposing to some I suppose, do you still need those stick figures there Champ?
    Or maybe your trying to defend your post because you jumped in without engaging the old grey matter first maybe, baby Jesus wept.

Do you spend everyday life looking to find outrage? Btw I love the following, makes me giggle and says more about you than me... kudos.

Ah jesus Aussie are you serious? I said above that I was sorry if I picked you up wrong but instead of being civil you resort to getting your dictionary out to look up big boy words so you can resort to insults and degradation to try to win an "argument". If your getting this excited because I misunderstood you and (then apologised if i did), it leads me to believe you have some issues. So why don't you go have a nap or eat a snickers or whatever you need to do to calm down. It usually works with my 2 year old.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    being disabled gives one time to be more obsversvent to what is going on areound one.

You could have said "after dark". I love that you specified nine thirty at night. Three nests, three cartridges, be back inside for Prime Time.

We still talking about crows??

Ah jesus Aussie are you serious? I said above that I was sorry if I picked you up wrong but instead of being civil you resort to getting your dictionary out to look up big boy words so you can resort to insults and degradation to try to win an "argument". If your getting this excited because I misunderstood you and (then apologised if i did).

In over 30 years of Shooting I've never had my ability to hold a Firearm questioned, not only did you do it twice on this thread but you started a puerile thread in which you took another swipe, you do know there is a Edit function on Boards.ie don't you?
    I don't use a dictionary, the prompting on the iPad works wonders

It leads me to believe you have some issues.

That's Ok, I've witnessed where your conclusions lead you.

So why don't you go have a nap or eat a snickers or whatever you need to do to calm down. It usually works with my 2 year old.

I would never give my Children chocolate to calm down, it does not work that way.

........... sigh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement