Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 NFL Draft

Comments

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There's a NFL Network version of that also

Down a shot everytime Mayock says "heavy legged waist bender" was one

I would imagine there was a "punters are people to "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This guy could be worth drafting....

7BNxgN.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This years new 'read option'. Throw option.

indeed the quadruple option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Looking at the odds on Paddypower do you guys think Clowney is as big a show in (4/9 fav) as they think he is? I think he probably might be the most talented and best physical specimen in th draft but with a 3-4 defense does he even fit the Texans?

Also one thing i would love to see would be Manziel somehow go to the Raiders. That would be some instant hit, he'd bring the crowds there big time, be very fun to see that. Doubt it will happen though with the Raiders having Pryor now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pryor was traded to the Seahawks.

Manziel to the Raiders? Certainly possible, not sure it would be a great fit for him though.

Was he traded yeah? Must have missed that -- perfect opportunity now :-)

Ah I know it prob wouldn't be the greatest fit but for purely a "fun" aspect I think it would be brilliant if it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It'll never happen but as a Cowboys fan i hope we move heaven and earth to get Manziel to Cowboys Stadium...

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Looking at the odds on Paddypower do you guys think Clowney is as big a show in (4/9 fav) as they think he is? I think he probably might be the most talented and best physical specimen in th draft but with a 3-4 defense does he even fit the Texans?

Also one thing i would love to see would be Manziel somehow go to the Raiders. That would be some instant hit, he'd bring the crowds there big time, be very fun to see that. Doubt it will happen though with the Raiders having Pryor now.

has to be clowney at this stage if the texans stay at one the only other option is Bridgewater but they could probably trade back to mid first at this stage

brinty wrote: »
    It'll never happen but as a Cowboys fan i hope we move heaven and earth to get Manziel to Cowboys Stadium...

as an eagles fan id be happy if you did as well :D

• Advertisement

as an eagles fan id be happy if you did as well :D

Haha. I actually think he'll be a hit in the NFL. I know a lot of dual purpose quarterbacks have come a cropper (Tebow being the big one) but the number he put up in the tough SEC were seriously impressive. he wasn't just totting them up in the MAC or anything. He went into Alabama and put up unheard of numbers.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Haha. I actually think he'll be a hit in the NFL. I know a lot of dual purpose quarterbacks have come a cropper (Tebow being the big one) but the number he put up in the tough SEC were seriously impressive. he wasn't just totting them up in the MAC or anything. He went into Alabama and put up unheard of numbers.

i think he has the potential to be very good but i think he has to sit for a year or so to try to improve a few things and the hype around him (and jerry jones interfering) wont allow that.

he has issues that need ironing out and if he starts day one i think he gets killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Get your mocks up by the way lads! The more the merrier and we can see who gets closest on the day. I'll revise mine before Thursday night. Link to create your own is below, and if you somehow predict them all right the NFL puts you in a draw for a chance to attend the kickoff game:

http://predictpick.nfl.com/?icampaign=hp_hottopic_predictpick_picknow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Really good article from Chris B. Brown over on Grantland (who, imo, is probably the best writer out there currently). On the debate of Bortles vs Bridgewater vs Manziel.

Seahawks brochure that they give to agents of players that they want to sign as UDFA's. There's some nice statistics in there about which teams play their UDFA's the most in preseason, which teams move on failed draft picks the quickest, which teams have most of their players claimed off waivers etc:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2014/05/06/0ap2000000347146.pdf

In other news, Jay Glazer says the Browns are definitely not taking Manziel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

My hastily thrown together mock draft. If I'm honest I think the Rams might trade back with one of their picks, the Bucs or Vikes could trade up.

Edit: And then you manage to break my heart and ruin hours upon hours of work with this news Paully! :pac:
    Paully D wrote: »
    In other news, Jay Glazer says the Browns are definitely not taking Manziel.

alb8.jpg

My hastily thrown together mock draft. If I'm honest I think the Rams might trade back with one of their picks, the Bucs or Vikes could trade up.

Edit: And then you manage to break my heart and ruin hours upon hours of work with this news Paully! :pac:

alb8.jpg

Nice mock mate. I had him in at #4 to the Browns too. Spent about four hours just compiling the list and reasoning on Friday night and was fully convinced the Browns would take him until Glazer said that :pac: Oh well, the hard work is done now I guess, revising it far less time consuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Kiper and McShay both have him at 4, and I think Mayock has mentioned it also. I's still say it has a big chance of happening

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Kiper and McShay both have him at 4, and I think Mayock has mentioned it also. I's still say it has a big chance of happening

I think they all release one final mock either tomorrow or Thursday morning which will be interesting.

2 more sleeps now lads, it's better than Christmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Mack won't drop to seven.

• Advertisement

how did you link it

i think he has the potential to be very good but i think he has to sit for a year or so to try to improve a few things and the hype around him (and jerry jones interfering) wont allow that.

he has issues that need ironing out and if he starts day one i think he gets killed

Ah yeah he has a lot of issues that need ironing out alright and he will get killed if he starts Day 1 but what rookie QB wasnt? Even in his successful year as a rookie Big Ben was basically babysitting the offence. Other guys like the Mannings etc were sacked non stop their first year. Ryan and Luck while making a tonne of mistakes were probably the most successful in terms of passing and Newton to a lesser extent.

I do agree that the number one thing holding him back will be the hype that he generates esp if he heads to the Cowboys. I hope he is successful though as the NFL needs a few characters like him I think.

Seen a few reports from reputable writers that suggested the Cowboys just want people to think they might take him at #16 so someone may trade up to get him and they'll accumulate more picks.

Seen a few reports from reputable writers that suggested the Cowboys just want people to think they might take him at #16 so someone may trade up to get him and they'll accumulate more picks.

They certainly could do with them. Looking by far the worst team in NFC East, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Knex. wrote: »
    They certainly could do with them. Looking by far the worst team in NFC East, and that's saying something.

whys it saying something the skins and the eagles look like they could be two of the better teams in the league next year :confused:

whys it saying something the skins and the eagles look like they could be two of the better teams in the league next year :confused:

Because they look far worse off than the Giants, who's issues are well documented. NFC East is a mixed bag and fairly unpredictable right now, but I would be very confident that they Cowboys won't win the division. You can't say that with certainty for any other team.

Also, big stretch for me to say Eagles and Skins will be two of the best in the league. They won't even be the two best in the Conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Have had a small bet on Kyle Fuller first CB @ 66/1

Pity there is no chance to lay off, into 5/1 now and still listed as Mayocks 1st CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Texans are going to take Clowney and then get Bridgewater at the start of the second!

Balls

• Advertisement

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Texans are going to take Clowney and then get Bridgewater at the start of the second!

Balls

not a hope bridgewater is there in the second if he drops to late first someone will trade up for him or the browns will take him with the colts first rounder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

not a hope bridgewater is there in the second if he drops to late first someone will trade up for him or the browns will take him with the colts first rounder

Unless us Bolts trade our 25 spot to a team wanting to jump in ahead of Cleveland at 26, here's hoping!!.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Unless us Bolts trade our 25 spot to a team wanting to jump in ahead of Cleveland at 26, here's hoping!!.

i think if he does as soon as he gets to about 13 people will start calling about trading back up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Eagles have gone backwards losing DeSean and Foles is still a big question mark. The Skins gave up last year. I don't think many teams will fear playing them next season.

I'm predicting the Eagles to slide this year. They lost against all the decent sides last year; Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Saints.

A lot of people overrating Foles and the Eagles at the minute and same can be said for the Skins too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Theres a great chance he falls into the second judging by reports. Carr is a strong favourite to be taken ahead of him

glued wrote: »
    Eagles have gone backwards losing DeSean and Foles is still a big question mark. The Skins gave up last year. I don't think many teams will fear playing them next season.

I'm predicting the Eagles to slide this year. They lost against all the decent sides last year; Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Saints.

A lot of people overrating Foles and the Eagles at the minute and same can be said for the Skins too.

the eagles have lost desean on offense but got maclin back and brought in sproles also i think ertz will be one of the better receiving tight ends in the league this year. i agree that people are overrating foles he wont do what he did last year again but hes a reliable qb and i think we have a more rounded group of receivers this year and with a good draft and an extra year in the defense that side should improve.
    also bar the saints loss the rest of them where all in the first 4 games of a new regime after that they wend 9-3

with regards the skins there getting a few big names back on defense and suddenly have a very dangerous receiving corp. there key is rg3 (i dont think he will come back the same) if he comes back the same

its to soon to say anything before the draft but i think the eagles will make the playoffs again (although im massively biased) and i think the skins could get a wildcard spot
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Theres a great chance he falls into the second judging by reports. Carr is a strong favourite to be taken ahead of him

i cant see him dropping that far even if carr goes ahead of him i still think he will go i think its all posturing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I don't know! A lot of talk saying that he could! Or maybe that's a smokescreen! Who knows! I wish this draft was over already!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I don't know! A lot of talk saying that he could! Or maybe that's a smokescreen! Who knows! I wish this draft was over already!

its probably one of the tougher ones to predict in years im delighted there not forecasting picks should be a lot of surprises this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Tonight or tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Really good article from Chris B. Brown over on Grantland (who, imo, is probably the best writer out there currently). On the debate of Bortles vs Bridgewater vs Manziel.

Good article. The Manziel decision is pretty fascinating. While, as a fan I'm looking forward to seeing him, as a GM I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to pull the trigger. Reading the article, I'd probably go with Bridgewater. On a rookie salary scale you don't really need them to be brilliant, just need them to be not terrible to give yourself a chance.

Tonight or tomorrow night?

Tomorrow night unfortunately. Still another day to wait :(

• Advertisement

nfl network analysts have a mock draft on the front page of nfl.com (they have a group of "experts" each with 2 or 3 teams to pick) some of the decisions are questionable but its great for getting you in a mood for the draft and if you play the vid for the first pick it plays through all of the vids in order.

As long as the Browns don't take Bridgewater, I'm happy. If they get him and a good WR the AFC North becomes a whole lot tougher.

As long as the Browns don't take Bridgewater, I'm happy. If they get him and a good WR the AFC North becomes a whole lot tougher.

id love to see it the browns have some of the best fans in the nfl and they've consistently sucked itd be nice to give them something

I think this just about sums it all up at this stage:

BnDFmSQCMAEPKyv.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I have a lot of DBs going between picks 10 and 20. Anywhere between 4 and 7. Just between needs, visits, workouts, BPA etc. The unlikelihood of it is making it hard to a mock though :(

I have a lot of DBs going between picks 10 and 20. Anywhere between 4 and 7. Just between needs, visits, workouts, BPA etc. The unlikelihood of it is making it hard to a mock though :(

i had that with recievers and dbs

the eagles have lost desean on offense but got maclin back and brought in sproles also i think ertz will be one of the better receiving tight ends in the league this year. i agree that people are overrating foles he wont do what he did last year again but hes a reliable qb and i think we have a more rounded group of receivers this year and with a good draft and an extra year in the defense that side should improve.
    also bar the saints loss the rest of them where all in the first 4 games of a new regime after that they wend 9-3

with regards the skins there getting a few big names back on defense and suddenly have a very dangerous receiving corp. there key is rg3 (i dont think he will come back the same) if he comes back the same

its to soon to say anything before the draft but i think the eagles will make the playoffs again (although im massively biased) and i think the skins could get a wildcard spot

I'm not DeSean Jackson's biggest fan but the Eagles are losing a very productive receiver. He's a huge loss for the Eagles and particularly Chip Kelly's system who wants to stretch the field. Maclin hasn't shown the same ability and has to be a huge injury concern considering that knee was already dodgy coming out of college.

I like Ertz but a lot of people are overrating him. You have a lot of people suggesting that he's really going to 'break out' next season but as usual it's flavour of the month hyperbole in the NFL.

Foles for me was probably the luckiest QB in the NFL last season. He got off so many times throwing wobblers. As Chip looks to expand his offence I think the worse Foles will get. Let's see how he deals with adversity because I don't think he's anywhere near the player his stats suggest that he is.

With the Skins as you said it's all on RGIII. Nobody bothered with the Redskins until DeSean came into the building. Now all of a sudden they're going to terrorize the NFC East. I don't buy it. Also production on one team doesn't necessarily translate to another team. I'm also not sure of RGIII how RGIII is going to last because he seems to have the wrong attitude and just doesn't look durable at the minute.

You could have a situation in the NFC East where all four QB's could be out of a job come December.

Also outside of the NFC East who did the Eagles beat last year?

They lost all their big games Saints, Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs. They beat a lot of poor teams; Bucs (4-12), Raiders (4-12), Packers (without Rodgers)... excluding the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins. They lost all of their games against the better teams (Chargers, Chiefs, Saints and Broncos) and out of their other games they hammered the Bears and beat the Cards by 3. Lots of people were excited to see this new offence under Chip Kelly and the Eagles seem to be everybody's dark horse for next season. Everybody expects them to do better and go deeper into the play-offs. I don't. They have a much harder schedule this year and I can't see them winning 8/9 games.

I'm guessing by the end of the off=season the dynasty talk will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

With a monster draft the Eagles may challenge in the NFC. They're behind San Fran, Seattle, Green Bay and New Orleans now though and by quite a bit I think.

It would be nigh on a miracle for the Redskins to make that ground up. They were an abomination last year, and it extended far beyond RGIII's struggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

glued wrote: »

You could have a situation in the NFC East where all four QB's could be out of a job come December.

RGIII is locked in for the next few years at least (barring injury of course)

You obviously would be more clued in to the Foles situation than me so I will bow to you here.

Poor aul Tony Romo will have a great statistical season with 4/5 awful game defining mistakes. I still think he is set at QB for the Cowgirls for another few years (the Manziel to Cowboys would be fantastic if true but not happening) if the Cowboys can't sort there D-Line & pass rush in the draft I think they will win the NFC East as Romo is consistently the best QB in the division.

I am fairly concerned by the Giants. As it stands right now Eli has Victor Cruz and a bunch of could be's & nobodies to throw the ball to. If he fails Coughlin & Jerry Reese will fall 1st. I think our o-line is more than good enough if we can get a top notch TE and a decent WR to add to what's there. The RB's should (by default) be better this year than last.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    RGIII is locked in for the next few years at least (barring injury of course)

You obviously would be more clued in to the Foles situation than me so I will bow to you here.

Poor aul Tony Romo will have a great statistical season with 4/5 awful game defining mistakes. I still think he is set at QB for the Cowgirls for another few years (the Manziel to Cowboys would be fantastic if true but not happening) if the Cowboys can't sort there D-Line & pass rush in the draft I think they will win the NFC East as Romo is consistently the best QB in the division.

I am fairly concerned by the Giants. As it stands right now Eli has Victor Cruz and a bunch of could be's & nobodies to throw the ball to. If he fails Coughlin & Jerry Reese will fall 1st. I think our o-line is more than good enough if we can get a top notch TE and a decent WR to add to what's there. The RB's should (by default) be better this year than last.

Giants have a huge problem next year. No option on the perimeter, all they have is Cruz in the slot. No big body to throw to in the middle and nobody outside. No run game either. I'm not confident; Add to that losing Joesph was a stupid decision and what JPP is going to show up next season; the one that was bullied by Tyron Smith or the beast that he has the potential to be? The secondary looks very good though. The most important question is which Eli shows up?

Too many changes and questions about the Giants to really evaluate them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement