Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Romo will need to be a man possessed- that roster is abysmal.

Outside Hatcher who's gone and Lee, who's a crock, their defense was phenomenally bad.

glued wrote: »
    I'm not DeSean Jackson's biggest fan but the Eagles are losing a very productive receiver. He's a huge loss for the Eagles and particularly Chip Kelly's system who wants to stretch the field. Maclin hasn't shown the same ability and has to be a huge injury concern considering that knee was already dodgy coming out of college.

I like Ertz but a lot of people are overrating him. You have a lot of people suggesting that he's really going to 'break out' next season but as usual it's flavour of the month hyperbole in the NFL.

Foles for me was probably the luckiest QB in the NFL last season. He got off so many times throwing wobblers. As Chip looks to expand his offence I think the worse Foles will get. Let's see how he deals with adversity because I don't think he's anywhere near the player his stats suggest that he is.

With the Skins as you said it's all on RGIII. Nobody bothered with the Redskins until DeSean came into the building. Now all of a sudden they're going to terrorize the NFC East. I don't buy it. Also production on one team doesn't necessarily translate to another team. I'm also not sure of RGIII how RGIII is going to last because he seems to have the wrong attitude and just doesn't look durable at the minute.

You could have a situation in the NFC East where all four QB's could be out of a job come December.

Also outside of the NFC East who did the Eagles beat last year?

They lost all their big games Saints, Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs. They beat a lot of poor teams; Bucs (4-12), Raiders (4-12), Packers (without Rodgers)... excluding the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins. They lost all of their games against the better teams (Chargers, Chiefs, Saints and Broncos) and out of their other games they hammered the Bears and beat the Cards by 3. Lots of people were excited to see this new offence under Chip Kelly and the Eagles seem to be everybody's dark horse for next season. Everybody expects them to do better and go deeper into the play-offs. I don't. They have a much harder schedule this year and I can't see them winning 8/9 games.

I'm guessing by the end of the off=season the dynasty talk will be back again.

i guess we will have to wait and see i do think ertz will break out (he just got better and better as the season went on after a few drops to start the year) but its a wait and see, foles is the same i agree he threw a few wobblers and i saw a few defensive backs drop picks in the cards game he actually threw a terrible pick and it was brought back for holding i think. i think he will be a very good qb not a superstar but he has a hell of a lot of weapons around him even with desean gone.

with regards there schedule last year its hard to argue with the fact that they only beat soso teams but i wouldnt pay much attention to the losses the offense was finding itself you cant see it changed a lot after the denver game and vick started all them games.

we will just have to see your right though there schedule is a lot tougher this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watching NFL Network and Heath Evans unsure why Bridgewater will be a bust, he just has a physic feeling telling him so

I watched this show for analysis :/

HigginsJ wrote: »
    RGIII is locked in for the next few years at least (barring injury of course)

You obviously would be more clued in to the Foles situation than me so I will bow to you here.

Poor aul Tony Romo will have a great statistical season with 4/5 awful game defining mistakes. I still think he is set at QB for the Cowgirls for another few years (the Manziel to Cowboys would be fantastic if true but not happening) if the Cowboys can't sort there D-Line & pass rush in the draft I think they will win the NFC East as Romo is consistently the best QB in the division.

I am fairly concerned by the Giants. As it stands right now Eli has Victor Cruz and a bunch of could be's & nobodies to throw the ball to. If he fails Coughlin & Jerry Reese will fall 1st. I think our o-line is more than good enough if we can get a top notch TE and a decent WR to add to what's there. The RB's should (by default) be better this year than last.

i could be wrong but i think elis in a boot thorough training camp as well that wont help i think (again stupid saying this before the draft) the giants could finish last in the nfc east at the moment

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Watching NFL Network and Heath Evans unsure why Bridgewater will be a bust, he just has a physic feeling telling him so

I watched this show for analysis :/

heath evens is probably the worst analyst on any of these shows to be fair i dont know why hes there they really have the b or c team out tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

i could be wrong but i think elis in a boot thorough training camp as well that wont help i think (again stupid saying this before the draft) the giants could finish last in the nfc east at the moment

He is back "running" at the moment, shouldn't miss training camp. I agree that we are set to finish last in the East at the moment. We have huge needs at TE, WR, OG, C, DE, OLB, S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any plans for tomorrow night then fellas? I'm up early on Friday so it's a pretty boring one for me, a few cans and snacks at home.

Paully D wrote: »
    Any plans for tomorrow night then fellas? I'm up early on Friday so it's a pretty boring one for me, a few cans and snacks at home.

im the same exam on friday so i may have a few but cant go anywhere unfortunately unfortunately

how long does it last iv been watching it for about 10 years now and i can never remember

So the 2014 NFL draft is allowing top players to pick "ring walk" music

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24553733/nfl-draft-players-get-choice-of-walk-out-music

Instead of focusing on what they may pick I was wondering what tunes you can think of for current & former players/coaches

JaMarcus Russell - The Lazy Song - Bruno Mars

Mike Vick - Who let the dogs out - Baha Men

Tony Romo - Oops I did it again - Britney Spears

Bill Bellichek

Any other suggestions??

• Advertisement

1st time I'm going to have company watching the draft as my 6 week old son plans to stay up for it ;) Nappy change will surely be required when Giants are on the clock!!!! Working Friday morning but used to no sleep at this point

im the same exam on friday so i may have a few but cant go anywhere unfortunately unfortunately

how long does it last iv been watching it for about 10 years now and i can never remember

Starts at 1am and can't remember how long it takes but I guess 2/3 hours

Good luck with your exam mate. It'll run until about 4:30am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Steve Smith - Ice Ice Baby

1st time I'm going to have company watching the draft as my 6 week old son plans to stay up for it ;) Nappy change will surely be required when Giants are on the clock!!!! Working Friday morning but used to no sleep at this point

Ah, congratulations mate :) I remember last year when you really didn't want Justin Pugh. The Giants pick.......Justin Pugh. I'm sure you'll end up waking the baby if something similar happens this year :pac:

Good luck with your exam mate. It'll run until about 4:30am.

cheers man. well passed the subject already so il def be staying up anyway

• Advertisement

Congrats Higgins!

congrats man with a 6 week old i suppose you would be up anyway hell be making sure you dont dose off:D

Ah, congratulations mate :) I remember last year when you really didn't want Justin Pugh. The Giants pick.......Justin Pugh. I'm sure you'll end up waking the baby if something similar happens this year :pac:

that was a weird pick mayock started reporting it that day but i dont think anyone had him in the first round until draft day

Knex. wrote: »
    Congrats Higgins!
    congrats man with a 6 week old i suppose you would be up anyway hell be making sure you dont dose off:D

Pugh was an odd one as he really wasn't someone I had heard of or considered, that being said he has been outstanding and I think he will only continue to get better. Zach Martin will annoy me if he is the pick this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Paully, being the current draft guru/nerd!, any chance of digging up those top 5 mock drafters again? I assume theyve all done ones at this stage?

• Advertisement

apparently the texans want 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder for the no1 over all not a hope they get that they seem to forget clowneys not a qb looks like jj watt and clowney are going to be on the same team next year wouldnt fancy playing them

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Paully, being the current draft guru/nerd!, any chance of digging up those top 5 mock drafters again? I assume theyve all done ones at this stage?

Majority of them waiting until tomorrow mate but Standig's is here - http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2014/2014-nfl-mock-draft.cfm?writer=10

McGinn's isn't out until tomorrow morning. Boris is usually the same although there was some talk that he moved jobs so may not be doing it any more, I'm unsure if that's true though. Kadar hasn't put one together since near the end of April so I'm guessing he'll be tomorrow as well and Kiper's is being updated in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Legend cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Going to miss the first round aswell due to work early on Friday. 12 hour shift too so no chance of just battling the tiredness for the day.

What time does day 2 picks begin at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Finally...

Draft-Day.jpg

Happy Draft day!

I'll stay up till at least the Giants pick at 12, me thinks, and see from there.

Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Enjoy lads, be back Sat morning. Fair play to those watching with work tomorrow - hardcore!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Fair play to those watching with work tomorrow - hardcore!

The wise football fans booked Friday off work a long time ago :cool:

The wise football fans booked Friday off work a long time ago :cool:

I'd probably have done the same myself but unfortunately there is no day or night off from our twin baby girls. Respect to HigginsJ though - i'd be sleeping every opportunity i could.

Right need to unfollow this now and not get tempted by staying up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Mock I did up last night:

1. Houston Texans - Jadeveon Clowney - DE - South Carolina
    2. St. Louis Rams - Greg Robinson - OT - Auburn
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Johnny Manziel - QB - Texas A&M
    4. Cleveland Browns - Sammy Watkins - WR - Clemson
    5. Oakland Raiders - Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo
    6. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aaron Donald - DT - Pittsburgh
    8. Minnesota Vikings - HaHa Clinton Dix - S - Alabama
    9. Buffalo Bills - Zach Martin - OG/OT - Notre Dame
    10. Detroit Lions - Mike Evans - WR - Texas A&M
    11. Tennessee Titans - Anthony Barr - OLB - UCLA
    12. New York Giants - Eric Ebron - TE - UNC
    13. St. Louis Rams - Justin Gilbert - CB - Oregon State
    14. Chicago Bears - Kyle Fuller - CB - Virginia Tech
    15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Odell Beckham Jr - WR - LSU
    16. Dallas Cowboys - Taylor Lewan - OT - Michigan
    17. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Pryor - S - Louisville
    18. New York Jets - Darqeuze Dennard - CB - Michigan State
    19. Miami Dolphins - Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    20. Arizona Cardinals - Blake Bortles - QB - UCF
    21. Green Bay Packers - Ryan Shazier - OLB - Ohio State
    22. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandin Cooks - WR - Oregon State
    23. Kansas City Chiefs - Marqise Lee - WR - USC
    24. Cincinnati Bengals - Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Louisville
    25. San Diego Chargers - Louis Nix - NT - Notre Dame
    26. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Roby - CB - Ohio State
    27. New Orleans Saints - Dee Ford - DE/OLB - Auburn
    28. Carolina Panthers - Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia
    29. New England Patriots - Rashede Hageman - DT - Minnesota
    30. San Francisco 49ers - Jason Verrett - CB - TCU
    31. Denver Broncos - CJ Mosley - LB - Alabama
    32. Seattle Seahawks - Xavier Su'a-Filo - OG - UCLA

I really like the Manziel to the Jags move personally. There hasn't been talk of the Jags not taking a QB but I'm thinking it could be a smokescreen. Possibly the most irrelevant team in American sport, bringing in Johnny Football and all the publicity that comes with it is a no-brainer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

If you thought Clowney's college tape is great look at his high school tape, it's just insane. He just towers above everyone else on the field!

If you don't have time to watch it all, just watch the first play in, he's like a rabid dog to say the least! :D

4:37 in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

If the rumours regarding the Eagles trading up to get Watkins dont materialise, i would love them to get Odell Beckham, really think this guy is gonna be a Star.

Who do you think is most likely to be looking for a trade? Wouldn't surprise me if Tampa tried to move up and swap with Jags or Raiders in order to take Manziel, for example, if he was still on the board.

As a Giants fan, I really won't be able to guess with any confidence as to what way we pick until I see the way the first 10 pan out.

Probably, either Donald or Martin, judging by the noises. Obviously if someone like Mike Evans or Jake Matthews were still on the board, I think we'd go for them, but I doubt that they will be.

Still think Lovie will get his way and get Donald.

I think the Ravens will trade down, probably with the 49ers, but I hope not. If that sort of trade happens it will probably be for Beckham Jr, and I'd rather we took him ourselves. In any case, one of Ebron, Lewan, Beckham Jr, Dix, Pryor or Ward will be there and I'd be more than happy to take any of them at #17.

Though in fairness it's very hard to be critical of anything the Ravens do at draft time given their record and if we trade down and somehow land one of the above (it would likely be Ward at that slot) then I will be delighted. They're the main guys I want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What time is the number one pick at? Gonna have to stay in the library until then to make up for the late night ahead!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    4:37 in :pac:

Very similiar to his play in the Outback Bowl (but slightly less violent)
    What time is the number one pick at? Gonna have to stay in the library until then to make up for the late night ahead!

Texans will be on the clock at 1am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ebron to Buffalo and Donald to the Giants would be my early predictions.

glued wrote: »
    Ebron to Buffalo and Donald to the Giants would be my early predictions.

I'd be happy with that, to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The following 3 tweets, from the same person on the same day.

For the 49ers, it looks like they can get to the 12-15 range, but they're looking at smaller jumps, too, obviously also targeting WRs.

— Tim Kawakami (@timkawakami) May 7, 2014

49ers are getting trade calls for #30, mostly from teams trying to move up from the 2nd round probably aiming for QBs Carr or Garoppolo.

Sounds like the 49ers explored getting into the top 10 but it would cost them next year's #1 and that's not their style. Won't do it.

The scatter gun approach is evident with some on Twitter. Cover all basis, observe what happens, delete the incorrect tweets, and quote yourself as a footballing, in the know, guru :D

adrian522 wrote: »
    The following 3 tweets, from the same person on the same day.

For the 49ers, it looks like they can get to the 12-15 range, but they're looking at smaller jumps, too, obviously also targeting WRs.

49ers are getting trade calls for #30, mostly from teams trying to move up from the 2nd round probably aiming for QBs Carr or Garoppolo.

Sounds like the 49ers explored getting into the top 10 but it would cost them next year's #1 and that's not their style. Won't do it.

If a team trades into the first to take Jimmy Garappolo then their entire front office should be fired before the end of the night.

If a team trades into the first to take Jimmy Garappolo then their entire front office should be fired before the end of the night.

I kinda think the same about someone drafting Bortles in the first round (well Top 10-15 anyway), especially over Bridgewater.

I want to smash the screen the amount of times I've heard, or read, "prototypical football build", as his prominent trait.

Probably should say how I was late enough to the college scene, so most of my knowledge has been garnered in the last month or so. Only really knew of names before that, without actually seeing any games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Please dont let the Texans take Clowney. Luck will get broken up countless times with our terrible line protecting him. Sly feeling Falcons are gonna move up to the first pick though with 49'ers getting into the top 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Would like to see the Giants trade back and pick up some extra picks.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Sly feeling Falcons are gonna move up to the first pick

That's been in the media the last few days

It's said to move from 6 to 1 will cost the Falcons 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st too.

Even if the Falcons kept their 2014 3rd rounder it's a huge price to pay

They shouldn't trade up imo but it would be interesting to see for sure

That's been in the media the last few days

It's said to move from 6 to 1 will cost the Falcons 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st too.

Even if the Falcons kept their 2014 3rd rounder it's a huge price to pay

They shouldn't trade up imo but it would be interesting to see for sure

Its way too costly but think they really need a player like Clowney. I think the Rams have a massive part to play tonight. They will trade out of the second pick which opens up so many ideas.

Johnny Football to Dallas sending Tony Romo to the Texans?

Going way overboard here, just very excited for tonight :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement