Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steps needed to get an A1 license

• 28-08-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey guys .. I was looking into getting a motorbike but I am confused as to the whole system.. Here is what I want to know ; whats the difference between provisional and learner permit licenses? If I booked a Theory Test for the A1 category license and passed it what license could I then apply for and what would I need to get that license(i.e Fee, Driving Lessons?) Also do motorbikes/scooters have NCT like for cars or what? Do not call me an idiot because im pretty clueless when it comes to all this. Just someone go step by step what I would need to do in order to get up on motorbike which does not exceed 125cc legally with the category license of A1 .. Im 16 so full license is not a part of the question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I did an A1 full Licence from having never sat on a bike in 25yrs to where I am now in 9 months.
    Theory test, IBT courses, buy a bike, practice and bloody practice.
    Bike testers take A1 licences very seriously and the test is hard IMO. Observation and road handling are critical.

If I can do it at 48yrs anyone can but it requires utter dedication and hard slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

The information in that sticky post came from MAG Ireland's information sheet:
    http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

At 16 you can apply for an A1 license, but insurance will be difficult - if not impossible - to obtain.

The chart issued by the RSA on this page tells you what you need.

Motorbikes/Scooters are not subject to an NCT style test but that's likely to change soon.

Advertisement