Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Groupon/end merchant

Options
  • 28-08-2013 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I bought a Groupon a number of weeks ago as a gift for someone.

It was for a restaurant and was for a choice of starters and a choice of main courses.

Groupon contacted me earlier today to say that the restaurant had changed the deal.
    They are now only giving 1 specific starter and a limited choice of mains....most of the mains listed when I bought the voucher are not on the new list.

Groupon have given me 2 options:
    1. get a refund
    2. continue to use the voucher

When I gave it to the person they were made aware of the good choice of starters and mains that they were entitled to.
    Now when they go to use it they will be very restricted.

Do I have a leg to stand on by insisting that they honour the original deal?
    Is my contract with Groupon or the restaurant now?

If it was for me I wouldnt be bothered and just get the refund, however as I gave it as a gift I cannot do this.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I honestly don't know but don't put such trust in groupon vouchers as friends/family gifts in future. Treat the experience as a hard lesson is all I can suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

They've offered a refund, that's the max a court would award. So, sorry, nothing more can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

gugleguy wrote: »
    I honestly don't know but don't put such trust in groupon vouchers as friends/family gifts in future. Treat the experience as a hard lesson is all I can suggest.
    I know that Groupon sometimes get a bad press here and, for all I know, they might deserve it.

But in this circumstance they appear to be acting correctly and the party deserving of condemnation is the (unnamed) restaurant that changed the terms of the deal after the vouchers were sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

I know that Groupon sometimes get a bad press here and, for all I know, they might deserve it.

But in this circumstance they appear to be acting correctly and the party deserving of condemnation is the (unnamed) restaurant that changed the terms of the deal after the vouchers were sold.

It's a shame. As I said if it was bought for myself I would just accept the refund and would have no problem with it. These things happen. But because it's a gift it's a bit of an issue.

I agree, Groupon have acted correctly but I wonder why Groupon don't have a clause that specifies that the merchant cannot change the terms of a deal once it has been bought. If nothing else it would be to protect their own brand.

I was in the restaurant myself a few weeks ago and had a great meal, prompting me to buy the deal as a gift for someone.

End result is I'm now reluctant to go back to that restaurant and/or use Groupon again.

It's all about customer experience.

Advertisement