Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumping Iron

Options
  • 28-08-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'll keep this diary to keep track of my progress and to keep me motivated.

Currently
    • Height: 184cm
    • Weight: Currently about 84kg - need to get a weighing scales.

I want to do bodyweight focused excersises, mainly because I find the gym very awkward to train in. I don't have a training partner so not really confident doing bench press etc and the gym has only 1 power rack and is always in use. The title of the thread is a misnomer ;P My immediate goal is to gain muscle mass, gain strength & lose fat. My longterm goal is to be able to perform the following excersises:
    • 90 degree pushups
    • 1 arm pullup
    • Planche pushups
    • Back lever

Anyways, after weeks of research I decided on the following workout plan:

Workout A:
    Dips - Chest, Triceps
    Pistol Squats - Performed on a chair
    Leg Raises - Abs, Suspended off a pullup bar

Workout B:
    Chinups - Back, Biceps
    Hand Stand Pushups - Shoulders, Triceps
    Pistol Squats - Performed on a chair

Doing these compound excersises will allow me to keep the routine short and simple. I'm missing a decent alternative to the Deadlift but can't replicate everything. Once I can do 8 or so reps I will start adding weight to the excersies and try to get some linear progression.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭theGEM

Workout B:
    • Chin Ups - 4,5,7,5,6 total 27
    • HSPU - Nowhere near to doing a HSPU and trying to progress. Once I get used to being in the upside down position I will get some bands and do some assited HSPU's Anyways completed today: wallwalk & 3*30sec holds
    • Pistol Squats - 2 sets * 5 (my legs nearly exploded, so warmed down by just doing some normal BW squats)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Try hyper extensions instead of deadlifts. Won't have the same effect/results as heavy ass deads but target the lower back nicely.

Best of luck with this BTW :)

Try hyper extensions instead of deadlifts. Won't have the same effect/results as heavy ass deads but target the lower back nicely.

Best of luck with this BTW :)

Yes I might try hyperextensions. I'm going to build a box for the pistol squats and might build a hyperextension add-on, similar to arsebiscuit on here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/132018/265728.jpg

I can really feel the DOMS from the pistol squats today. Once I get good at them I will start adding weight using a sandbag - it will really hit the core too :)

Workout A

Dips (bodyweight) - 5,5,4 (failed on the last rep)
    Normal bodyweight squats - 10,10,10 (legs still in bits)
    Leg Raises - 3*1min static holds (progression)

Bought three 15kg bags of playsand in Argos for c. €12. Looking to buy a army duffel bag and I will have a decent sandbag to use for pistol squats. I also hope to use it for circuit training when I have more time to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

For pistols, will it not be really hard with your centre of gravity is on your back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How many times a week are you training?

JJayoo wrote: »
    How many times a week are you training?

Non-Consecutive days. I've been doing a pullup program on my phone since the middle of July and have been doing that every 2nd day. I started off been able to do 1 and although I havn't done a max test I'd say I could do 11 now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rittr.pullups&hl=en

My current program will be something like this:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    Week 1 A B A B
    Week 2 A B A
    Week 3 B A B A
    Week 4 B A B

For pistols, will it not be really hard with your centre of gravity is on your back?

Idk to be honest. I'll do a review when I get to that stage :)

Anyways it will be something like this (with much better form hopefully!!)

Workout B

Chinups - 5,6,7,6,7 (total 31)
    Squats - 4*10 (normal BW squats - going to ease upto harder versions)
    HSPU - 3*30sec holds

My biceps were bursting after the chinups, it felt great almost like...

Workout A
    • Chest Dips - 5,5,4,3 (failed on the last two sets)
    • Squats - 12,10,14,10,10 (BW Squats)
    • Leg Raise - 10,10,10 (lying on floor)

• Advertisement

Workout B

Chinups - 5,6,7,6,7 (total 31)
    Squats - 12,10,14,10,10 (BW Squats)
    HSPU - 3*30sec holds

Wasn't feeling the best today. I'm going to have to repeat the chinup set again the next workout, just don't feel ready to progress.

Workout A
    • Dips - 5,5,5,3,2
    • Squats (BW) - 14,15,17,13,12 (total 71)
    • Leg Raises - 10,10,10,10 (lying on the floor)

Leg raises burn the abs..love em. Failed on the last two sets of dips. Going to stick with BW squats for a bit more.

Workout B
    • Chin Ups - 5,6,7,6,2 (total 26)
    • Squats - 16,16,18,16,16 (total 82)
    • HSPU - 3*30sec holds

Kept the rest periods between pullups to 45sec and failed on the last set (should have done 7).

Workout A
    • Dips - 5,5,5,5,4
    • Squats - 18,18,20,18,18 (92)
    • Leg Raises (lying on floor) - 10,10,10

This workout should have been done yesterday but went on a date after work instead :p I'm a 3rd of the way through the BW squat program I'm doing on my phone (100 consecutive BW squats), once I finish it I'll move onto doing pistol squat training. In a few weeks I might add a couple of secondary excersises to the above (pushups, planks, flutter kicks or a medicine ball ab workout).

I started Workout B yesterday but again failed on the last set of pullups and I got demoralised. Today I decided to do a max effort pullup test and got 11 pullups which I'm very happy with.

I've got important exams coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm now just going to focus all my energy on them. I have developed a 6 month workout program and I will start it when I have more time.

Advertisement