Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics or History

• 28-08-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey i started 5th year today and have started rethinking history after the teacher described how vast the course was and was wondering which is easier history or economics?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hey i started 5th year today and have started rethinking history after the teacher described how vast the course was and was wondering which is easier history or economics?:)

I haven't done history so i really don't know! but i really liked economics , the course is very short i did it in a year and managed fine. Which one do you have more of an interest in though? you will do better if you enjoy it. If you like business you might like economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭moleary20

Economics definitely, if you give it the time, its very manageable!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I haven't done history so i really don't know! but i really liked economics , the course is very short i did it in a year and managed fine. Which one do you have more of an interest in though? you will do better if you enjoy it. If you like business you might like economics.

I have more of an interest in business than history and that's what I think I want to study in college is business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 AdamReynolds

Economics is an easier and shorter course, however history is far more interesting(for me anyway). Its worth taking into account the actual leaving cert exam too and the economics paper is far less strenuous with regards to time constraints. I would say unless you have a real interest in history then don't do it! Also if you choose economics make sure you keep on top of current economic affairs, I didnt and lost my A1 because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Economics is all about being observant and aware of the world today, would deff recommend! Easy A1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

yournerd wrote: »
    Economics is all about being observant and aware of the world today, would deff recommend! Easy A1.

I sat through a double class of history today and just couldn't stand it I found it very boring so I'm going to ask to change tomorrow. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I have to disagree, the A1 rate was 1.9% this year and shows that it is not an easy A1 subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rosetiarna

im just wondering does anyone know if an A is achievable in history for eaving certificate or is it very rare?

Rosetiarna wrote: »
    im just wondering does anyone know if an A is achievable in history for eaving certificate or is it very rare?
    If you are good at learning off information and have a great interest then yes you have a good chance of achieving an A. 6.3% got an A1 and 6.2% got an A2 in HL.

Source: http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/results_2013.php?menu_parent_id=2&ed_sub_cat_id=7&course_id=11&course_name=Economics&lc_results_h_2012Order=Sorter_lc_results_c2&lc_results_h_2012Dir=DESC

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I have to disagree, the A1 rate was 1.9% this year and shows that it is not an easy A1 subject.

If youve a decent interest in business and politics and how the system works I'm sure its achievable.

• Advertisement

If youve a decent interest in business and politics and how the system works I'm sure its achievable.
    Achievable yes but not "easy" nothing is easy in the leaving cert

Achievable yes but not "easy" nothing is easy in the leaving cert

I worked my ass off this year and I got it so it depends on the person and the atiitude.

I worked my ass off this year and I got it so it depends on the person and the atiitude.
    Fair play to you, hard work does pay off. Aye it depends on the person's capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

If you're good at essays do History. If not Economics

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

LC History has a lot of writing. Economics is a great subject, some love it some hate it. If you're interested in business its a no brainer in my opinion. Its a smaller course to cover, but takes thought. I'd recommend Economics, but it depends on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

If you are good at learning off information and have a great interest then yes you have a good chance of achieving an A. 6.3% got an A1 and 6.2% got an A2 in HL.
    Just for clarification on this -

You will not get an A in history by learning off information. To get an A in history requires a series of quality essays that answer specific questions backed up by evidence. Having the information is fine - how you use it is what will get you an A grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

History is horrible. No one of my friends found it enjoyable. Even with excellent teachers student struggle to do well. I got A2 in economics with little work.

Advertisement