Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools & Playschools in Greystones

Options
  • 28-08-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

We have just moved to Greystones and my eldest will be due to start school next year. I have rang around and the application forms are out soon and I was just wondering could any locals give me some advice on the schools around here please and thank you.

I also have a 2yr old and infant so am looking for advice on playschools too. Not a crèche just playschool please and thanks so much up anyone who can give me some information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I was just wondering could any locals give me some advice on the schools around here please and thank you.

http://www.greystonesparish.ie/schools/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I don't think you'll be sitting down wondering which school to pick, you'll be fortunate to get in to any of them . However things may be looking up as I believe a number of schools have rushed to build additional classrooms.

Nobody spotted all the extra houses and kids in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Chicago Chick

Thanks very much for the information.

When I rang all the schools before moving I was told I could not apply for a place until the September before they were due to join and so to contact the schools in September 2013 and to list them in order of preference then. Is what the schools told me not correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Thanks very much for the information.

When I rang all the schools before moving I was told I could not apply for a place until the September before they were due to join and so to contact the schools in September 2013 and to list them in order of preference then. Is what the schools told me not correct?

What the schools told you is correct. You can only apply a year in advance. Places are tight but there are new classrooms being built. Schools also have their own admissions policies depending on whether you are a member of the parish or within their catchment area etc. It's a bit of a minefield but rest assured all the primary schools in the area are excellent.

Thanks much for that information neets. I really appreciate it.

Are the playschools any good in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Thanks much for that information neets. I really appreciate it.

Are the playschools any good in the area?

Am a little out of touch with the play schools. There's loads of really good ones. It depends on what you want. My guys went through creche/play school, Montessori and now afterschool with Rita Byrne. Her montessori is excellent. She has a few different options in a number of premises in Greystones - Charlesland Grove, Charlesland Park, Shoreline etc. Puroga and Park Academy are also an option. But it's a very personal thing. I would do the rounds and check out a few. It depends on what you want - some are really flexible, others not so flexible but great in terms of the activities they offer.

Thanks so much for all that information, you have been so helpful. I am still trying to get my bearings with the move so am very grateful for all the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Welcome to Greystones. Plenty of good schools in the area. Unfortunately there has been a shortage of places. Hopefully this is being addressed by a number of schools building.

There would appear to be the need for a new school in Greystones.
    http://www.greystonesguide.ie/donnelly-meets-with-department-of-education-on-new-primary-school-in-greystones/

Enrolments
    1. This is the enrolment procedure for the Educate Together
    http://www.greystoneset.ie/enrol-in-our-school/

2. The Gaelscoil: see page two of this link http://www.gscl.ie/Polasaithe/Polasai%20Iontrala%202012.pdf

3. St. Brigid's, St. Kevin's and St. Laurence's (Catholic)
    http://www.greystonesparish.ie/2012/10/parish-schools-enrolment/

4. St. Patrick's (Church of Ireland)
    http://www.stpatricksnationalschool.ie/info/intentiontoapply.pdf

Good luck in your quest :)
    Plenty of child care provision also, but as my kids are older I know less about the current availability.

Son of Jack thanks so much for taking the time to do that, it was very kind of you. Tbh I have 3 and my eldest is 3 and I have found the moving and trying to readjust their lives a bit overwhelming so am so grateful for all the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There is also a Church of Ireland primary school in Delgany, and I believe there is a playschool operating in the grounds of St. Patrick's National School

http://www.delganyns.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If you're eldest is only three now, he/she more than likely won't be accepted into any of the Primary schools in September 14. Four is the absolute minimum age for entry and even then, the schools give priority to those who are five or about to turn five as they must start their schooling then.

With regard to the playschools, definitely get in touch with Rita Byrne. Our daughter is in one of the units in Charlesland Park and is extremely happy. There are loads of activities organised by the staff and she's never bored! It's great too as the kids get older and they're brought out for walks and play on the green too. It really encourages them to get outside. They're actually having an open day today in all the premises, so if you can, you should definitely have a look. Give them a ring on 01-2870719 and have a chat!

My son will be 4 in December so will be 3 months off 5 yrs next September. I am Hoping that would be old enough as I would hate for him to be almost 6 going to school.

Thank you all so much, this information is so helpful and I am going through the school lists and also the playschool.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

My son will be 4 in December so will be 3 months off 5 yrs next September. I am Hoping that would be old enough as I would hate for him to be almost 6 going to school.

Thank you all so much, this information is so helpful and I am going through the school lists and also the playschool.

Thanks again.

Should have no problem being enrolled next September if he is 4 thisDecember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks again.

For your son who will be four, look for eligibility of ECCE scheme. Most playschools run this government funded scheme. +1 on recommending Rita Byrne. Open day for montessori was this morning at Orahova in Shoreline and normal session starts tomorrow.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Thanks again.
    Ah! They'll be grand so.

Just to be aware that Laurence's, Kevin's and Bridget's may all prioritise Catholic kids from the parish ahead of any others applying for places.

You won't have such problems in Educate Together or the Gaelscoil, both of which are in Blacklion, adjacent to Lidl.

Thanks very much, we are catholic and I live less than a 5 min walk from either St. Brigids or St Kevin's. hopefully that will be enough to get him in.

I went to look at Charlesland Montessori this morning and it was lovely and the staff so nice.

I can not thank you all enough. I feel like I have had so much advice in less than 24 hrs. It is great and if all Greystones people are as nice and helpful as all of you are we will be very happy here.

Sorry another question I meant to ask. Is Shoreline or the Charlesland Montessori nicer?

I suppose it's more what you prefer. I like shoreline because of the good size room they have there.

Thanks for that.

Does shoreline have an outdoor space like Charlesland?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JWhitmore

My kids have all gone to Woodlands Montessori and they all loved it - my third child is starting there next week. Dee and Grainne are brilliant with the kids and the place has a very lovely, family feel to it.

Its in the Scouts Hall just across the road from St Brigids (it used to be down in the park and ride) - so it would be very handy for you in terms of drop offs etc (esp with 3 so young - you'll be driven mad with all the pick ups and drop offs - last year, I had pick ups at 12.30, 1.30 and 2 pm!).

welcome to the area - I'm sure you'll love it here - all of us blow ins always do ;-)

• Advertisement

For an outdoor area at Shoreline, they have an area fenced out on the grass beside the building. The exit point is always manned ensuring kids don't go astray and there's normally two other staff playing with the kids as they play.

Thanks so much. I will go to look at the crèche in shoreline tomorrow if I can.

I will also go look at the Montessori across from Brigids.

Thanks for all the information it is calming me down as I feel a little less headless now. :)

Sorry for yet another question but does anybody know anything about Flynnstones Playschool on Church Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Sorry for yet another question but does anybody know anything about Flynnstones Playschool on Church Road?

It's an excellent Montessori and has a very personal feel to it. Drop down and talk to Rachel or Jay.

Thanks so much for that. I am going to give them a ring later on so. Thanks again I really appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I'm a bit late to this party, but wanted to add a recommendation for the Acorns Playschool in the GAA club, excellent facilities & staff are amazing.

Thanks for that I really appreciate all the replies and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

I will second Little Acorns up at the GAA club beside the tennis club. The staff (Margaret & Bernice & Paula) are so nice and helpful and give so much attention to each child. All 3 of my children have gone here. Cannot recommend it enough, super! And I know that they still have availability by the way :)

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. :)

I have to thank you all, it is hard trying to pick a new place after moving and there is nothing like parents and family of other children giving you helpful advice. It really is great and thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

With regards to Montessori schools also try knockeevin Montessori school on church road. Gill, the owner is there in excess of 20 years and is very highly regarded within greystones. Her staff are absolutely wonderful. My little boy had 2 fantastic years there and I can honestly say he loved every minute of it.

Advertisement