Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery connectors - to change or not to change?

• 28-08-2013 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've flown radio control planes for years and so I'm familiar with soldering and using lipo batteries. However, while I'd like to change the Tamiya plugs on my batteries and guns, is this a wise move? I mean, the guns come with Tamiya plugs and so do airsoft batteries. Is this for a reason, ie would alternate connectors be unsuitable for whatever reason? Would fitting say xt60 or deans plugs affect the guns performance or perhaps put people off buying it second hand?

I don't like the tamiya plugs as I've had instances of loose connections causing the gun to stop firing. I feel the plugs mentioned above would be a better solution. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Kashkai wrote: »
    I've flown radio control planes for years and so I'm familiar with soldering and using lipo batteries. However, while I'd like to change the Tamiya plugs on my batteries and guns, is this a wise move? I mean, the guns come with Tamiya plugs and so do airsoft batteries. Is this for a reason, ie would alternate connectors be unsuitable for whatever reason? Would fitting say xt60 or deans plugs affect the guns performance or perhaps put people off buying it second hand?

I don't like the tamiya plugs as I've had instances of loose connections causing the gun to stop firing. I feel the plugs mentioned above would be a better solution. What do you think?

Dean all the way instead of tamiyas, I have never used xt60 connections so I can not really compare, Deans provide a superior electrical connection and will lower you over resistance of the circuit this then can slightly increase ROF (never actually checked this myself but every forum I read seems to say it does), far more reliable than tamiyas.

It is a simple, cheap and efficient upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

I back XT60s, easier to solder than deans and easier to take apart from the get go. Performance wise they definitely wouldn't be worse than the deans and if they are slightly better it's small enough difference.
    I use them on all my skirmish guns and I got two turnigy nanotech 7.4v so I don't have to worry about getting a spare battery.

The only downside to changing battery connectors is if your batteries aren't good enough to last a day and you have to ask someone else for one to borrow. But you can make an adaptor with the old tamiya connector and an xt60 connector so no problem there.

Me friend got an increase in BBs per second by changing battery connectors and deans. Now he uses only xt60s and he is happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and change the connectors on the guns so as I have loads of lipos lying round with xt60 connectors that I can now use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TheHamster

Xt60 all the way here too, but always make adapters from the connectors I remove - it means I can always borrow or lend a battery to people who don't have xt60's

Easy to plug in and out, no working loose, easy to solder and really good connection

Advertisement