Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating mosfet

• 28-08-2013 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭

Hi all... Any of you knowledgable chaps able to give me a reason why my recently wired mosfet starts to get far too hot and basically go the way of burning out as soon as the battery is plugged in..? This is without trigger pulls.. I'm pretty sure it's wired perfect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

It should not heat up as it is a passive device and should only be active when it receives a signal via the trigger switch

I assume that the MosFet is in the negative line (black wire) and not the posative (red wire) as most people think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

DeBurca wrote: »
    It should not heat up as it is a passive device and should only be active when it receives a signal via the trigger switch

I assume that the MosFet is in the negative line (black wire) and not the posative (red wire) as most people think

Should of known you'd have the know how kev.. I have it the same as the bottom pic here.. Left side
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/930/7str.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Very odd, the mosfet should not be even remotely warm when not in use, signal voltage only passes when the trigger contacts meet, I have seen mosfets with incorporated heatsinks, but these are generally homemade.

It may be the result of a poor electrical connection somewhere on the mosfet, if it the cable is soldered then I would look into a weak joint, these can cause excess heat especially at the battery side, other than that it could be a dodgy component or circuit board. Maybe check your battery also.

What brand is the mosfet?, might still be under warranty.

Very odd, the mosfet should not be even remotely warm when not in use, signal voltage only passes when the trigger contacts meet, I have seen mosfets with incorporated heatsinks, but these are generally homemade.

It may be the result of a poor electrical connection somewhere on the mosfet, if it the cable is soldered then I would look into a weak joint, these can cause excess heat especially at the battery side, other than that it could be a dodgy component or circuit board. Maybe check your battery also.

What brand is the mosfet?, might still be under warranty.

Hi mate.. Yeah it is a home made one not by me... with heat sinks, I opened it up...
    But. You may have hit something with the trigger switch, I have one ordered coming brand new.. So am I right in saying that, even if only 1 contact is touching slightly that when batt is inserted that it heats up as if someone's holding the trigger..? Here's a pic of mosfet

Lads...? Oh and kev, posted that postal order there just when we were talking earlier so please god youll get it in the morning

• Advertisement

Can I assume that you connected it as is shown in the photo

fn2a.jpg

DeBurca wrote: »
    Can I assume that you connected it as is shown in the photo

fn2a.jpg

Yep. Spot on

Pics for kevin

Your mosfet does not look like it has a heatsink, unless you removed it. The trigger contact cables or comminication cables, do not carry the full voltage like before, it just tells the fet when and when not to allow voltage to the motor, so I doubt it is the trigger contacts.

You could also have a dodgey transistor, but heat building when idol is strange, has to be a connection or mosfet assembly issue. Am not doubting the person who built it but has he installed these in other aegs and had the same problem?.

Your mosfet does not look like it has a heatsink, unless you removed it. The trigger contact cables or comminication cables, do not carry the full voltage like before, it just tells the fet when and when not to allow voltage to the motor, so I doubt it is the trigger contacts.

You could also have a dodgey transistor, but heat building when idol is strange, has to be a connection or mosfet assembly issue. Am not doubting the person who built it but has he installed these in other aegs and had the same problem?.

It's funny you say that... After looking at it.. I think it might be actually assembled wrong... Been looking at a few diagrams, the MOSFET itself like

• Advertisement

jimeryan22 wrote: »
    It's funny you say that... After looking at it.. I think it might be actually assembled wrong... Been looking at a few diagrams, the MOSFET itself like

Theres no diode either by the looks if it, There should be 2 resistors also, I think.

Theres no diode either by the looks if it, There should be 2 resistors also, I think.

Its hard to tell as what appears to be 2 resistors are under the heat shrink
    As Southern Dandy said there is no heatsink and it could be a faulty tranny
    But one thing for sure it should not be getting hot all on its own just because you connect the battery

Advertisement