Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name

Options
  • 28-08-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I would love to call my baby, when she is born, Evie but spelt in Irish. I know Eve is Aobh or Aoibh but how do you change names to include an e sound at the end please? Being from and living in Ireland I'm worried that if I use the spelling Aoibh I might find out later that its Ava or Aoife as some sites say and I have nieces with both these names, Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I found the name Aoibhí on-line. It sounds more like an informal version of a different name though, like Robbie or Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sineadmc2013

Thats a new one, never came across boys names while researching the spelling lol, do u know how to make a name have e at the end, sounding like Charlie, Mickey etc but with Eve please?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thats a new one, never came across boys names while researching the spelling lol, do u know how to make a name have e at the end, sounding like Charlie, Mickey etc but with Eve please?

Did you read my post? I already mentioned Aoibhí. The "í" at the end makes an ee sound.

Out of interest, why would you want to use the Gaelicised version of the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sineadmc2013

Sorry I read it wrong, I love the name but always prefer the Gaelic version of names to English, my Irish is rusty to say the least and just want to ensure I name my daughter correctly, thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You might find this thread useful, some good discussions on baby names:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337887

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

[...] my Irish is rusty to say the least and just want to ensure I name my daughter correctly, thank u

You might be better off giving her an established Irish name already then, rather than making up a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Aard wrote: »
    You might be better off giving her an established Irish name already then, rather than making up a new one.

I agree with this. Giving her a made up Irish name for the sake of having an Irish name is pointless. It contradicts the reasons you want to do it. I'd also advocate going with something long established and not made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

How about Aoibhinn?

That's an established Irish name and not too far from what you are looking for,OP.
    (b.t.w. pronounced "Eeev-een")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I’d probably have guessed girl for Keeva, too, just because of its similarity to Keeva. Of the other names mentioned, I like Fiona, Rowan, Cara, Aoife, Delaney, Maeve and Tallulah.

Muire mháthair. Tallulah! This is a bugbear of mine so forgive me in advance. They are all fully, 100% English names - as English as John, William, Robert, Richard or David, which are all English language versions of originally non-English names but commonly considered to be "English names". For the sake of consistency, we can't be making exceptions for English language names only when they have an Irish origin. If so, is Seán a "French" name (because it derives from Norman-French Jean), and so on?

And the meaningful Caoimhe is a zillion times aesthetically nicer than any meaningless phonetic English name like Keeva, which just gives the impression that the parents had low cultural capital.

Hi I would love to call my baby, when she is born, Evie but spelt in Irish. I know Eve is Aobh or Aoibh but how do you change names to include an e sound at the end please? Being from and living in Ireland I'm worried that if I use the spelling Aoibh I might find out later that its Ava or Aoife as some sites say and I have nieces with both these names, Thanks in advance
    Seasan wrote: »
    How about Aoibhinn?

That's an established Irish name and not too far from what you are looking for,OP.
    (b.t.w. pronounced "Eeev-een")

OP: Aoibhinn sounds like a good option and you could shorten her name to "Evie" informally of course. At least with a correct spelling the name is meaningful and it won't reflect badly on the parents. According to page 15 of Ó Corráin & Maguire, Irish Names (Lilliput Press, 1990) in front of me now:

"Aoibhinn(i-vin') f. 'beautiful sheen, fair radiance'. This name could be anglicised Eavan. It was borne by the mother of St Énna of Aran and by a number of princesses inclusing the daughter of Donnchad, royal prince of Tara, who died in 953."

Please note Seasan's pronunciation as many people insist upon pronouncing it Aiveen. This is incorrect. Think of how you pronounce the Aoi in Aoife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Muire mháthair. Tallulah! This is a bugbear of mine so forgive me in advance. They are all fully, 100% English names - as English as John, William, Robert, Richard or David, which are all English language versions of originally non-English names but commonly considered to be "English names". For the sake of consistency, we can't be making exceptions for English language names only when they have an Irish origin. If so, is Seán a "French" name (because it derives from Norman-French Jean), and so on?

And the meaningful Caoimhe is a zillion times aesthetically nicer than any meaningless phonetic English name like Keeva, which just gives the impression that the parents had low cultural capital.

I wouldn't get too worked up about what they had to say, they were just a spammer from India. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seomise

Eve translates to Éabha (ey-va). Aoibheann is a beautiful name but is mistranslated/mistpronounced into ay veen where it should sound like the word even. I hope that helps.

Quick question: is Diarmaid correctly pronounced with a "J" sound at the start in all dialects? Or is it a specific Munster thing?

It's a great loss that logainm/ie/téarma.ie/ ainm.ie/ dúchas.ie/gaois.ie could not add something like ainmneacha.ie to their superb work with spelling guides to Irish names as there is a huge amount of misinformation online. Pronunciation guides in the three dialects, as exists for instance on Teanglann.ie would be a game changer. Is there any website that I may have overlooked doing this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

The 'j' sound is in Connacht, Ulster and in Gàidhlig and not in Munster.

Advertisement