Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firearms licensing (some questions not covered in the FAQ)

• 28-08-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Does one have to store a firearm in his home or is there any shared facilities available?

I live at home atm, and i'm not sure my father would allow me to have a weapon in the house, seeing as the house was broken into before for my dads guns. (He had sold them a few months before)

I miss shooting alot and i'm tired of relying on gun-owning friends to bring me off for a few shots which doesn't happen often.

Also; (This is probably in the FAQ but i'll ask anyways.) Do I need to join a gun club and get permission to shoot on two pieces of land? Is this accurate or changed? How do I approach land owners?

Are the restrictions on shotguns and rifles distinct? IE. Is a licence for one easier to obtain than the other?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Although, i've never held a licence, I would consider myself highly responsible and experienced in the realm of firearms. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Does one have to store a firearm in his home or is there any shared facilities available?

I live at home atm, and i'm not sure my father would allow me to have a weapon in the house, seeing as the house was broken into before for my dads guns. (He had sold them a few months before)

I miss shooting alot and i'm tired of relying on gun-owning friends to bring me off for a few shots which doesn't happen often.

Also; (This is probably in the FAQ but i'll ask anyways.) Do I need to join a gun club and get permission to shoot on two pieces of land? Is this accurate or changed? How do I approach land owners?

Are the restrictions on shotguns and rifles distinct? IE. Is a licence for one easier to obtain than the other?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Although, i've never held a licence, I would consider myself highly responsible and experienced in the realm of firearms. Thank you.

That might be an issue. I know it varies from district to district. But the chairman of our club had his house robbed and 9 guns were taken and never recovered. That was 3 years ago. He still cant get a licence. Like I said, it varies from district to district..... but Id say if your house was robbed specifically for your guns in the past then the super might have some reservations. unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Short answer: no and some (but not many).
    Mine are all stored at the club, for example (and have been in the last two districts I was licenced in). There's no legal objection to it. The Gardai will probably want a letter from whomever's storing them saying that they're there though. And not every club has storage facilities.
    Do I need to join a gun club and get permission to shoot on two pieces of land?
    Short answer, no. You need to either join a gun club who have permissions for land or have your own permissions (or, a third alternative, joing a target shooting club and use their range).
    Varies according to the superintendent I'm afraid. Legally there's no distinction though, the distinction is between non-restricted and restricted (and both shotguns and rifles can fall into either category).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's no law that says a gun must be stored in your home. As long as it fulfils all the requirements that your Super insists on, then there's no problem.

You could store the firearm at a relative or a friends house as long as the Super is happy with the secure storage requirements there.

You do have to put down on the FAC1 form where the gun is to be stored.

As long as you aren't doing target shooting with a rifle or pistol, then you don't need to be in a club to shoot on two pieces of land. That kind of target shooting is only allowed on a range. What you need is a letter from two land owners giving you permission to shoot on their lands.

The simplest way is just go and ask any land owners that you know if you can shoot on their land. It all depends on if you know any. If you don't know any land owners, then this is a bit more difficult as a lot of farmers don't want people on their land that they don't know.

There should be no difference between the process for getting a licence for a rifle or a shotgun but it all depends on the type of shooting that you want to do. If you say you want to shoot pheasant, then you won't be allowed a rifle as it's against the law to shoot pheasant with a rifle. They'd only allow you a shotgun for this. Likewise, if you wanted a shotgun, you wouldn't be allowed to shoot deer with it.

Do you know what kind of shooting you want to do?

Advertisement