Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League Cup 2013/2014 Thread

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Only caught the first 20 minutes, thought we looked in total control. Was mortified to find out the result. Loosing twice to West Ham at home is unacceptable, I think that was there last victory too. Players need a good bollockin and to show some character on Sunday before we spiral out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Shocking.. We are a laughing stock

Defoe is so bad he actually annoys me now. He adds nothing to the team yet we persist with him. Wether he goes to the world cup or not, isnt our concern. Sigg and Dembele as center midfield paring??? Jesus, why not play Capoue in there and give Fyers a run out at centre half ( i think thats his prefered position).

In fairness to sherwood, this wasnt just a 1 off, these results have been on the cards all season, but it looks like we need a really experienced manager and coach in there now now to stop the rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

i think people may have set there expectations too high. just because we signed a load of players in the summer doesnt give us the god given right to success! of all the players we signed, who was proven at the top level? soldado maybe! but look at who else we signed, chadli??? lamela??? capoue??? eriksen??? paulinho??? i think we paniced and bought these players despite them not being good enough. we need to lower our expectations. we are not going to finish in the top 4 this season. we need to trim the squad. get rid of walker, dawson, defoe, townsend! if i was manager they would be gone in january. there is definitely some stupid manager out there that would pay 10m a pop for each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

ingo1984 wrote: »
    i think people may have set there expectations too high. just because we signed a load of players in the summer doesnt give us the god given right to success! of all the players we signed, who was proven at the top level? soldado maybe! but look at who else we signed, chadli??? lamela??? capoue??? eriksen??? paulinho??? i think we paniced and bought these players despite them not being good enough. we need to lower our expectations. we are not going to finish in the top 4 this season. we need to trim the squad. get rid of walker, dawson, defoe, townsend! if i was manager they would be gone in january. there is definitely some stupid manager out there that would pay 10m a pop for each of them.

I dunno about that. Admittedly they were all from Europe, so would have required time to bed in, but Eriksen was well known around Europe from his performances in the CL and internationally, Lamela was the top scorer in Italy last season, Soldado scored nearly 30 goals - these are not what you would generally consider risky purchases, these are highly skilled and talented players who, on paper at least, would definitely improve Spurs. Paulinho, Chadli and Capoue were all highly thought of, all with international experience (I think?).

The problem is that none of players listed above have played well, be that through lack of service, lack of experience, being played in the wrong position or simply a lack of confidence. If even 2 of them had played consistently well, we probably wouldn't be in this situation.

That could be down to AVB and his tactics. Maybe he still hadn't figured out his best team. Certainly playing such a strong team in all competitions, even when guaranteed to finish top (Europa League) may have contributed, but at the end of the day if we want to play in the CL we'll have the same sort of schedule.

As has been mentioned in the SF, instead of us buying 6 or 7 players with loads of potential, perhaps we should have bought 2 - 3 top notch players, although I thought we did that with Soldado but haven't seen it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

I remember when we were bottom under Ramos, and everyone was slating our big money buy..Modric, and Gomes for that matter, but we were playing brutal and they were all low on confidence, when we got our mojo under Harry in October, the rest is history...just remember that Modric was classed as far too light for CM!!! Everyone thought this..people were saying that Harry will replace him with the Wardrope that is Papa Boupa Diop!!!

• Advertisement

I remember when we were bottom under Ramos, and everyone was slating our big money buy..Modric, and Gomes for that matter, but we were playing brutal and they were all low on confidence, when we got our mojo under Harry in October, the rest is history...just remember that Modric was classed as far too light for CM!!! Everyone thought this..people were saying that Harry will replace him with the Wardrope that is Papa Boupa Diop!!!

Good point, I thought he was shíte initially. I'm not particularly worried, and I don't really give a bóllocks who comes in either. Players are equally accountable for playing so miserable this season. They've dug a hole for themselves. Time to dig one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I have no issue with any of the players we bought. I think Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue and Lamela will come good. More than good, some of them could become something special.

Vlad will be solid enough. Chadli - I'm not so sure. Decent squad player ... probably not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I have no issue with any of the players we bought. I think Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue and Lamela will come good. More than good, some of them could become something special.

Vlad will be solid enough. Chadli - I'm not so sure. Decent squad player ... probably not much more.

Agree, we have bought very good players, soldado is a proven striker and better than anyone we have, he should be our number 1. I think Lamela will also be a superstar, not sure it will be for us unless we get a manager to have a little faith in him. Also, Vlad will be more than solid, another star.

Agree re Chadli, although he has improved over the last few games, his physicality will prob make him an option.

I've only seen Vlad in two games, the first he was poor and the 2nd he was excellent. Hard to judge him when the defense is at sixes and seven's at the moment.

Chadli has had a fair bit of games time and while he clearly has talent, he looks fairly inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

My worry about Chadli is that he doesn't have that burst of pace to get past a player. A full back would love playing against him because you can control him. Push him inside in to danger or push him outside and knick the ball as he tries to pass.

Without pace he needs to be inventive..... I haven't seen any examples of this so far.

• Advertisement

Yeah, not much pace compared to our other option but ironically he looks like he can deliver better crosses, espically from deep. If we end up playing with a strong/aerial target man then he will be very important for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'm not sure how Spurs lost to West Ham but I thought even at the time that it might have been for the best. I know that's quite defeatist but in terms of maximising the league results (with the current injuries), the last thing needed would have been a two leg tie against Man City!

Martin567 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how Spurs lost to West Ham but I thought even at the time that it might have been for the best. I know that's quite defeatist but in terms of maximising the league results (with the current injuries), the last thing needed would have been a two leg tie against Man City!

I was thinking the same thing last night, wouldn't have been pretty viewing, so glad WH progressed. Negredo was immense.

Advertisement