Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLAR STAR ANYONE??

• 28-08-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Anyone have experience or first hand knowledge of Polar star kits? Is there any actual advantage to aeg that would justify the spend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

I looked into them myself a while back.

Expensive to get it together.
    They are meant to be very consistant and no real moving parts, so less likely to break down.

The real drawback for me was the lack of available HPA locally.

I did look into a proper HPA compressor, but they are very expensive, as in 4 figures:-(
    You can get a handpump for a couple of hundred euros, but they are meant to be very difficult to pump once you get over 1500psi and you really need to get your HPA tank to over 3000psi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Rooky1 wrote: »
    The real drawback for me was the lack of available HPA locally.

I did look into a proper HPA compressor, but they are very expensive, as in 4 figures:-(
    You can get a handpump for a couple of hundred euros, but they are meant to be very difficult to pump once you get over 1500psi and you really need to get your HPA tank to over 3000psi.

I thought the idea with hpa was to get dive shops to refill the tank? Kinda like scuba tanks. Although I don't know how many shops in Ireland offer the service and how easy they are to reach

Indeed.
    But then you need to buy a dive tank ( so more money )
    And then you need a different fill valve to fill your tank from your dive tank!

I tried a couple of shops within an hours drive of my house and they sold the equipment but didn't fill the tanks.

To be honest for me I would love to get a polar star, but I would need to be able to fill the tank myself. No use if I have to travel for an hour or two to get it filled. It would cost a fortune to get out for a game then,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

I love threads like this. Nothing like reading about expensive stuff I would probably break. Very nice website by the by
    http://polarstarairsoft.com/
    Reminds me of the pneumatic guns in Metro 2033
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGbFZWAyuXQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭everest1980

Hmmmm sounds like a bit of an expensive hastle... damnit. I was also unsure of how the joule limit would be enforced with this, i might be wrong but i imagine that there would be little stopping you upping it to over a joule as its powered from the tank... might be wrong. still seems cool though, ill add it to my airsoft wish list that will probably never get fulfilled :(

• Advertisement

Hmmmm sounds like a bit of an expensive hastle... damnit. I was also unsure of how the joule limit would be enforced with this, i might be wrong but i imagine that there would be little stopping you upping it to over a joule as its powered from the tank... might be wrong. still seems cool though, ill add it to my airsoft wish list that will probably never get fulfilled :(

If I recall correctly, the nozzles are designed to only allow a specific airflow and that limits the power, you can adjust BBs per second but you can't go beyong nozzle limited power output. Polar star sell the nozzles in different colours for different fps readings

If I recall correctly, the nozzles are designed to only allow a specific airflow and that limits the power, you can adjust BBs per second but you can't go beyong nozzle limited power output. Polar star sell the nozzles in different colours for different fps readings
    Rooky1 wrote: »
    Indeed.
    But then you need to buy a dive tank ( so more money )
    And then you need a different fill valve to fill your tank from your dive tank!

I tried a couple of shops within an hours drive of my house and they sold the equipment but didn't fill the tanks.

To be honest for me I would love to get a polar star, but I would need to be able to fill the tank myself. No use if I have to travel for an hour or two to get it filled. It would cost a fortune to get out for a game then,

Ok. I saw in a search a few years ago that paintballers and people with airguns would look for diving activity centres and possibly local fire station if you had someone you could call and arrange a filling for the tank.
    I assume a 130/300 bar, whichever one most people recommended back then anyway, is still a lot cheaper than the compressor.
    Also a few years ago to fill a tank would be €5 and it would last 1-2 weeks anyway but that might have been for large tanks for groups so overtime it might be slightly cheaper.
    And I think someone thought that dive equipment had standard valves.

This is all based off of forums from back in 2006/2007 I found in a google search last night so I totally stand to be corrected, just relaying what I found

The air nozzles will restrict the flow so much but you need a regulator to fine tune the fps. It is meant to be set and then locked off with an anti tamper type of zip tie.

Advertisement