Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a cable modem the same as a wireless ISP uses?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the confusing sounding title, but as per usual, I'm asking sbout something akward.

I use RouterOS from Mikrotik on a Routerboard to recieve my wireless from an Access Point from about a mile away. A buddy of mine moved from Digiweb Wireless, I think he said, to Eircom DSL. He took down the wireless gear on his house and gave it to me. I always assumed that all wireless was the same, but I think I must be wrong.

What he gave me was a reciever, which has no electronics. It's a white box, that has a 6" square surface, a booster of some sort, and a cable modem. The booster sits between the reciever and modem and runs on 12v, I think.

My question is, what sort of wireless is this? Does the cable modem pick up a wireless signal just like a laptop would, or is it a different kind? I didn't think a cable modem worked like it could be used in a wireless situtation like this.

Hope this makes sense

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

How do you know it is a cable modem?

I expect what you have is
    1 - antenna ( the white box with no electronics)
    2- downconverter (which may also provide some amplification)
    3 - cable modem

Cable and wireless transmissions use similar modulation. In fact, some operators use DOCSIS CMTS to deliver an input signal to an upconverter/transceiver, so the signal types are identical. Digiweb used to do this, and for all I know, they may still be doing it. So, using a cable modem makes sense.

A laptop will pick up a wifi signal. Wifi & DOCSIS are completely different. I hope that answers your question.
    -FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Ah yeah. That's exactly what I have. It is a cable modem alright, and the thing I was calling a booster is a down converter. You answered me spot on. Now I know. Thanks FoxT

Advertisement