Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a spam email address?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I entered a competition by email to a well-known Irish magazine. There was no funny business, just the same old procedure.

But then I got a email from this address: MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com

and it said that: Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<info@stellar.ie>:
    Remote host said: 511 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?98.139.212.165 [RCPT_TO]

--- Below this line is a copy of the message. (but I don't think i'll post this because it is all just a load of random letters, probably coding or something)

This is the first time I have recieved something like this, and I just don't think it is a legit address, because the email name alone "mailer daemon" sounds dodgy enough!!

So what do you think, and also if it is a spam, should I be worried that they are somehow able to block a email I am sending to another address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Possibly your own email address has been incorrectly identified as belonging to a spammer.

This might be relevant: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1826304

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It looks like a legitimate automated mail from yahoo.

It is not spammers that are controlling what you send. It's Stellar choosing a filter that is overzealous in blocking mail.

The issue is that Stellar.ie choose to have an external spam reputation service that has in this case barred incoming mail from a large number of yahoo servers due to the actions of other people.

The block should expire within a day. If you must send the mail before this then you'll need to use an alternative email service just to contact Stellar.

Advertisement