Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haim

• 29-08-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭

This Three piece all sister band (with add on Male Drummer) from L.A seem to be the new "IT" band right now. They've got that Fleetwood Mac 80's Tango in the Night vibe to their sound. They certainly been the hype band of 2013 so far, they are in the NME nearly every week and have done nearly every British Festival so far this summer (even performing some back up Vocals for Primal Scream at their Glastonbury set).

So are they the next Big American Indie pop band or just another Flash in the pan hype band?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Looper007 wrote: »
    This Three piece all sister band (with add on Male Drummer) from L.A seem to be the new "IT" band right now. They've got that Fleetwood Mac 80's Tango in the Night vibe to their sound. They certainly been the hype band of 2013 so far, they are in the NME nearly every week and have done nearly every British Festival so far this summer (even performing some back up Vocals for Primal Scream at their Glastonbury set).

So are they the next Big American Indie pop band or just another Flash in the pan hype band?

Never heard of them! Don't read the NME anymore either; it's like smash hits for emo kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

I think they won the BBC Sounds of 2013, anyone who does well in that usually goes on to do ok. Eg have a look at the 2009 list http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7758169.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

they are so irritating as a band!! typical american cheese pop rock band !!! i absolutely hate their "ooohs" and "ahh's" "uhhh's" they do live and the bassist is so fcukin annoying with the ridiculous faces she makes , yeah theres a thing called being passionate about playing an instrument but theres just taking the p*ss. such a irritating band to watch perform !!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

and no they are not the next big american indie pop band , they will have one highly hyped album that will be a success comercially and then they will fade out with their second album, by the time they bring out a second album people will have moved on and found another 'hype' band to follow and pine over :rolleyes:

yes they do work hard and do play almost every festival,iv seen them postered over many ,but they're doing all this promotion and they have all this hype surrounding them before their debut album is released :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Haven't seen them live myself, but I think their material isn't too bad, Don't Save Me and Falling are two decent quality songs. The hype around their debut will probably work against them though. Plus NME nearly jumps on every new indie pop act - Palma Violets, Peace, Swim Deep etc. They always do.
    A V A wrote: »
    they are so irritating as a band!! typical american cheese pop rock band !!! i absolutely hate their "ooohs" and "ahh's" "uhhh's" they do live and the bassist is so fcukin annoying with the ridiculous faces she makes , yeah theres a thing called being passionate about playing an instrument but theres just taking the p*ss. such a irritating band to watch perform !!!!!

I can't count the amount of times I've heard that said about them when they perform, pulling ridiculous faces right throughout their performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Their new album has got ok reviews in some of the music mags mostly 3/5 and 7/10's. The same negatives have come up the album songs are very samey and their sound lacks bite.

A V A wrote: »
    and no they are not the next big american indie pop band , they will have one highly hyped album that will be a success comercially and then they will fade out with their second album, by the time they bring out a second album people will have moved on and found another 'hype' band to follow and pine over :rolleyes:

yes they do work hard and do play almost every festival,iv seen them postered over many ,but they're doing all this promotion and they have all this hype surrounding them before their debut album is released :rolleyes:

Don't jump on me man :p That's what you read in the music mag's. I don't see them been one of the world's top band's, none of their singles have broke top 20. For a band hyped up like they have you would expect a few top 10 singles. They have promoted the hell out of themselves and certainly got their name out there. I think they be a second tier band who play the Olympia type venues, play the mid afternoon set at festival's, always end up the support act to bigger bands, and have a few top 20 albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

hyped to the last, brutal live going on this (only listened to the first tune it was so bad compared to their very "polished" current single). Put them in a pub and no one would listen to them imo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElYm6DifqY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

There seems to be a major marketing push behind them, but the fact remains that they're a fairly mediocre band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There seems to be a major marketing push behind them, but the fact remains that they're a fairly mediocre band

Massive push before the 1st album , they must have spent 3 months in europe this summer , remember seeing them at various festivals on youtube looking knackered, they seem like nice girls and they can really play, but there seems to be a real push by the PR/marketing people to ram them down peoples throats in real "sure aren't we just great " kinda way.

Anyone who doubts their ability live should watch the BBC session on you tube that has the fleetwood mac cover on it,

As for the album??? I you have heard the single you have heard the best of what they have to offers, love Don't save me , and forever after that ? not a great record.

I'd gladly see them in the academy or where ever they are playing here soon and pray they play those songs 1st so I could leave then :D

Also the girl on bass seems to be making sex faces on very live video I see of them lol

other songs are linked to off this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I saw them last December in the O2, they were a support act for Florence + The Machine. They were ok and weren't on for too long from what I remember. They talked too much to my liking and I'm quite surprised by the fuss over them this year. Must be a good marketing...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 VECTRON

not a bad song .... Dont Save Me ...

but the bass player looks like she's in pain or just trying to weird people out ?

Looked at the 7th Picture on this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/eg5v4f

The singles are certainly their strongest material but this song is a standout on a fine debut but the hype behind them leaves a sour taste in the mouth for some people. I think that second album will have to shut the doubters up but they seem to have build a pretty strong fanbase in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gave these a listen after seeing a bit of fuss on social media and my god they're awful! :eek:

They're lucky they have so much backing because they wouldn't get anywhere on their own two feet with material like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

They are more mainstream than indie imo. Their songs are poppy. That said i find what ive heard of them catchy enough for me to order the album.

They do sound like you might get sick of them pretty quick though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a fan but they seem to be having a laugh anytime I have seen them interviewed or play on tv . The two that aren't the singer definitely don't take it too seriously anyway, the singer gives of the air of being above all that and bit humourless. (couldn't be arsed looking up their names)

Advertisement