Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Die Beautiful 1993 Uncirculated 10P Coin.

Options
  • 29-08-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey Guys. I have acquired this coin and would like to know what you guys think. I found it unusual to find it in such brilliant condition (Cleaning out my grans house) but what I found even more unusual was what appeared to be a double die pattern.

Here's some pics, Let me know what you think.

Many apologies for my camera skills :)

IMG1094_zpsafc32b15.jpg

IMG1097_zpsd0e997b0.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

It's quite common to find these 10p coins double struck I'm afraid. I've seen loads of them myself and didn't even bother to put them aside. It would be another story if the second strike was way off line to the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jackb45

Ahh I see. Isnt that a shame :)

At least I know what to not look out for in the future.

Thanks Blade!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well keep it aside anyway, it is still a double strike after all but because it happened a lot with that particular coin it's just not really sought after by collectors. However it's just really that coin and a few other decimals that it happened a lot with so it would be rarer in my opinion if you found a similar Euro coin. So don't let me put you off double strikes in general.

The more dramatic the error the better, for example someone on this forum posted up a Euro coin that was triple struck and each strike was way off the others. That was pretty rare and valuable also because the quality control is much better now with the Euros. I tried to do a search for that post but can't seem to find it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

How can you tell it's double struck?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

You can kind of see that the number ten and letter p are a bit odd looking, also the dots along the bottom luck a bit mashed at the bottom, for years i had 2, 2 euro coins that were unstruck, until my mum mixed them up with change and gave them to the bank.

• Advertisement

How can you tell it's double struck?

Well it looks it on the fish side at the '10p' part and if you look closely at the beeding at 12 O'Clock you can see the underlying beeding from the first strike.

for years i had 2, 2 euro coins that were unstruck, until my mum mixed them up with change and gave them to the bank.

You should be able to pick up some Euro blank planchets fairly handy, if you want I'll help you find some. I bought some quite cheaply at one of the coin fairs years ago, think I bought a load of 10c coins, can't remember exactly now. But I've seen them all available at one stage or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jackb45

Thanks for the info Blade.

I'll keep it aside anyways, its very nice to look at because of the brilliant looking condition. I never understood why people collected coins before but I totally get it now.

Advertisement