Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Radio - Music Royalty Costs

Options
  • 29-08-2013 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have recently become very interested in internet radio and would like to one day launch my own station. What's holding me back are my concerns over the cost of broadcasting copyrighted music. I understand that with having your own radio station there would be costs, but I never anticipated the expense of paying royalties for broadcasting music.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but, my understanding is that you need a license to broadcast firstly and you also have to pay for a small fee of €0.001066 per song, PER LISTENER.

These are the licenses, I think, that a person would need for an internet radio station:
    A) IMRO - http://www.imro.ie/music-users/online-and-mobile-music-use/limited-online-exploitation-licence-loel/
    B) PPI - http://www.ppimusic.ie/using-music/tariff-calculator/77

I worry that starting my own station would be far too expensive over time and I am unsure of the licensing and paying royalties mumbo jumbo.
    So, what is the difference between the two licenses? Do you need both?

Has anyone out there got an internet radio station and/or has any advice or experience with paying music royalties?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need both. The Irish (and UK) fees are horrendous which is why the station I was involved with moved playout and hosting to Slovakia

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PatPatterson

How did that work out for you?

Advertisement