Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

Options
  • 29-08-2013 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

can some please tell me is my school allowed move me down from the top class to the lowest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Get your parents to talk to your teacher(s)/year-head/principal, find out why the move is being made, make a commitment to work harder and review the situation later in the year etc, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

kevin16 wrote: »
    can some please tell me is my school allowed move me down from the top class to the lowest?

Depends on your exam performance and behavior, if it's justified they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kevin16

ya im leaving school because of this and the results are not back yet or anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have you spoken to the relevant adults about this? Deciding to leave school over an unclear issue is not a clever idea, schedule a meeting to discuss the situation and you will come to some reasonable solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

kevin16 wrote: »
    ya im leaving school because of this and the results are not back yet or anything ?
    You'll have the garda on your back if you decide to mitch school like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll have the garda on your back if you decide to mitch school like that.

His parents will have a visit from various people too.

I heard some of the students in our place chatting saying they were in the 'top' class because it was called XX01 and 'Joe Bloggs' was in their class.

If only they knew.

In fact what we did was sprinkled the top and lowest achieving students among all the classes and then banded them for the main subjects. Every single class group is mixed ability, but yet they persist with this best/lowest class nonsense.

spurious wrote: »
    His parents will have a visit from various people too.

I heard some of the students in our place chatting saying they were in the 'top' class because it was called XX01 and 'Joe Bloggs' was in their class.

If only they knew.

In fact what we did was sprinkled the top and lowest achieving students among all the classes and then banded them for the main subjects. Every single class group is mixed ability, but yet they persist with this best/lowest class nonsense.
    My class is meant to be the best class in our entire school. Ever since we arrived in 1st year, other years are telling us that we are meant to be the best class in the school as we have a good academic standard across all students unlike most classes. I think my class are all bright, but a lot of people are lazy and don't put effort therefore giving the image of stupidity.

In one of the groups from last year, they had only "poor" scoring pupils, why would they group "poor" students together then?

*I know they're poor scoring because 90% of everyone in my year came from my primary school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's the old way schools used to do it. I don't know why your school still does it. It's very counter-productive as in the 'top' class(es) you can get people who are complacent and do worse than they should, in the bottom class(es) you get kids who give up and do worse than they should.

The group where research showed you get an across the board higher achievement level is the 'middle' stream, where many work hard to 'show' the teachers and top stream. You're far better in a class where you find things a little bit difficult than way too hard or easy.

In banding, all the best Maths, English, Irish students etc. end up in the one class anyway, but they are with the mixed group for things like non-exam religion, PE, CSPE etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

'Joe Bloggs'

Used that as my name in the Irish exam on the letter :')

really ?

• Advertisement

well our teachers told us we where the top stream class (my old class )so , but seriously i dont think its fair on me at the end of the day i just cant stand the tought of being in the lower class .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Used that as my name in the Irish exam on the letter :')

In my French exam I was James ;)

Jijsaw wrote: »
    In my French exam I was James ;)
    Hello James! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

The people in my year are hilarious, everyone is basically friends. As for splitting classes we don't really do that, we just have base classes for roll call and IT. We know ourselves what level subjects we are doing and a majority are doing 4 honours ad 3 ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Hello James! :D

I couldn't be arsed putting all the verbs and crap into the feminine so I took my uncle's name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

This thread has got really out of hand :P Our school does it the way Spurious said, although, it just so happens that one class in our year is like the "Retard class" :D In second year, our year head then came into their class to give them letters to the people who had won an award in their class (best in class etc) and he basically told them they were the stupid class because while all the other classes got 16 A's combined Summer and Christmas, their class highest was like 11 or something.

Bluestrike wrote: »
    This thread has got really out of hand :P Our school does it the way Spurious said, although, it just so happens that one class in our year is like the "Retard class" :D In second year, our year head then came into their class to give them letters to the people who had won an award in their class (best in class etc) and he basically told them they were the stupid class because while all the other classes got 16 A's combined Summer and Christmas, their class highest was like 11 or something.

He is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

He is a disgrace.

The way i typed it sounded bad, but it was in a joking kind of way and he never actually said they were stupid. Also i meant the top guys were getting 16 A's and that the rest of the class's average would be around the same as that class but they didn't have any 'top scores' like the rest who did well

Advertisement