Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does AIB's online business access compare to BOI?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello,

I started with BOI's "Business On Line" internet banking service a few months ago.

The application is dated and cumbersome (I cannot paste in passwords, for example, and it requires Windows and Internet Explorer).

Does anyone here have experience with AIB's business internet banking? Do you find it useful (and is there a demo online?)

My main point of interaction with the bank is internet banking, so it's an important factor. Thanks for any help.

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I have been using AIB business banking for years - it's just OK.

Regulary down for maintenance - usually for 12-24hrs - which isn't a crazy amount of time but when self employed and looking to pay yourself it's not ideal.

The core functionality works - transferring money from one account to another.
    The entire package seems some what dated and certainly when compared to UK competition (Obviously no good for Irish customers)

I haven't used BOI banking but if I were starting a new business up I would definitely consider changing as I am less than impressed with AIB - if it were free I couldn't really complain but sadly it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

I have used both AIB and BOI online from a business perspective.

BOI business online is so so so bad that I closed the account and opened another personal account so I could access their 365 which is brilliant. Everything I did was online and it wasn't compatiable with Apple Mac either...I had to fight with the bank manager about using a personal account for business purposes but I just said I'd walk out and go somewhere else if I wasn't allowed.

I opened an AIB business account recently - Their online works pretty well. Is a bit cumbersome and takes getting used to but does the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

I think the AIB version is better from BOI.
    I do Like the fact that BOI can email you to tell you if the EMTS file went or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

BOI takes a lot of getting used to, though once there and know your way around its pretty good.

I ditched AIB as I found their business accounts archaic....

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

I use both AIB and BoI
    The fact that for BOI you must have Internet Explorer is a pain for me (I have a Linux desk top)
    I find the BOI password rules really annoying (and possibly a security risk) - you must change your password every 6 weeks or so - meaning you choose an easy to remember/work out password and they insist on letters and numbers but will not accept symbols.

The AIB system generally works fine - there is a keypad (looks like a calculator) to generate pseudo random numbers for security which you need to have with you to log in.

In general I find the AIB easier to use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

AIB is just ok as said above.

Copy and paste of passwords is a complete no no in my book - i don't think any banking platform would permit that.

Ulster Bank is very good, but best is danske bank, their mobile app is unbelievably easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

@sandin It was a couple of years ago that I used Ulster Banks's personal online banking. They said "We've put a little thought into our Internet banking" which I sarcastically always read as "We've put little thought into our Internet banking" :P

I wonder how much it has changed since.

Regarding copy-paste - it's just as much a security risk in my eyes to force me to display my securely-stored password on screen, plus having to type it in. Not only that, their two-admin rule is a farce. But I digress :)

@TheWaterboy Agreed about BOI's personal banking. I was using that fine with my sole trader business. Assumed that I'd have the same treatment after moving over to a limited company, but sadly found out that I'd have to use Business On Line for the company.

Any other opinions on business banking with Ulster Bank or Danske, including their online services?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We have both BOI and AIB business accounts and our finance team definitely prefer the AIB one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No bank in Ireland offers a "small business" package. Once the "free fees" period runs out they (both AIB and BoI) hit you with fees that can amount to e500+ annually for a tiny 1 man business.

If you are larger company with loads of transactions then this is fine. But for small operations this is e500 wasted. A poster above was very lucky that the bank let him use a personal account - this seems to be at their discretion. In my case the bank (BoI) refused to let me use a personal account for my business, so I took my business elsewhere.

Advertisement