Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uneven garden surface V Small Garden

• 29-08-2013 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

We have a mid-terrace house with postage stamp garden (3 foot x 1) with the shed accounting for quite a sizeable proportion of this area.

No access except through the house.

Have done a complete overhaul.

New shed in more central location.

Dug up grass and tilled and have spent weeks killing out any weeds with Roundup.

We are intending to either re-grow it from seed or get in lawn turf.

One problem! We cannot seem to get it to level out decently - despite weeks of raking etc.

Too small an area to get any machinery to sort out problem.

Should I put in topsoil or could this potentially introduce new weeds? (despite the claims on the packaging to the contrary).

Thanks,
    Olive K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

surely its not 3 foot by 1 foot ? No garden could be that small not to mind fit a shed in it !!

what exactly do you mean by level it out decently ? You should be able to level it reasonably with raking and if your sowing seed a roller that you could buy / rent and easily get through the house will then flatten things out nicely and make sure a good contact between the soil and seed.

if its a case that its massively sloped and your trying to level it then yeah your likely to either need to excavate or go the other way and put down topsoil to level. A photo would probably help you get better advice on what to do TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

It's hard to see your problem - looks pretty level to me.

But with a yard that size (for its too small to call it a garden), I wouldn't bother putting down real grass - too much hassle and its going to get very worn. Better to either pave it or put down some astro-turf style covering, or if you need to let kids out, consider the green rubber tiles that you sometimes see in a kids playground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I would just go for it as is. Now is the perfect time to sow a new lawn. Buy in your seed and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP

I agree your levels are poor but especially the brick edging to the gravel pathway. I would advise that you dig a small trench and set the brick edging in the ground but level and straight. This which will also provide a very useful mowing edge and a fixed reference for grading the soil to get an even lawn level.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OliveK

Thanks for all the help.

Olive

• Advertisement
Advertisement