Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenna cable extenders?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

I'm running an Asus RT-N66U in a part 3 storey Victorian house with 2ft thick exterior walls, one interior wall that is an old gable wall and thus also 2ft thick and 1 interior wall that is 1ft thick brick. ie no stud walls anywhere in house.

I already have to use a wireless access point for our business premises and flat next door and there are about 15 wireless networks in the vicinity detectable by 'inssider', so the airwaves are very congested with channel overlap. Amazing that I can't get full strong reception in all areas inside the house and yet can see other networks through my outside walls aaannddd their walls and however many feet between.

Anyway, I digress. I wondered if rather than congesting the airwaves further with another AP for the front of the house, if instead I could purchase two of those wireless antenna cable extenders. ie the asus in the third storey attic room at the back of the house and then the second and third antenna of the asus cable routed to the attic space over the middle and front of the house. As it stands the asus has no problem transmitting a strong signal vertically 3 storeys through the floors, its the pair of dividing interior walls attic to ground floor that prevent the signal doing very well horizontally or diagonally. ie front middle and back thirds of house each get their own antenna in the attic space with the only requirement being the signal makes it vertically to the ground floor

Advertisement