Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Edenmore like?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I'm thinking of buying a house in Edenmore Avenue. Does anyone know if the area is ok to live in?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The short answer unfortunately is No. It is a terrible place riddled with drugs and guns due to a small element who think they are in the cast of Goodfellas.

Sorry to be so negative here but avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 begood20000

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The short answer unfortunately is No. It is a terrible place riddled with drugs and guns due to a small element who think they are in the cast of Goodfellas.

Sorry to be so negative here but avoid at all costs.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

i grew up near there and went to school with a lot of the muppets. AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It would be one of the worst areas in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How do you know this?

I grew up in an estate nearby. Hung around with a few lads from the Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I wouldn't recommend Edenmore at all.

The area isn't in a great state snd looks quite run down in parts. A lot of graffiti, especially IRA/32CM graffiti around the place. Plus a lot of overflowing bins and rubbish everywhere.

Bus service is fairly unreliable and not much choice with shops.

Avoid.

How do you know this?

Are you just trying to gauge where you actually currently live?

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Are you just trying to gauge where you actually currently live?

No, I just want to know if there actually was some sort of criminal gang. I'm looking at a house there but the responses don't seem positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I'm sure they're s nice people living there but they'res also a lot of scummers and some junkies. If you are a scummer too though you'll be grand!

No, I just want to know if there actually was some sort of criminal gang. I'm looking at a house there but the responses don't seem positive

if you still buy there after the unanimous responses you have received, you deserve everything you get.

there was a good house on the greendale road (foxfield end) that recently went for 120k. i suggest you look there instead

only guessing that 120k is edenmore budget. have no idea the price of the gaffs there cos you couodnt pay me to live there

• Advertisement

Have you lived in Dublin long? Even visiting the house you must have noticed the area is very run down?

if you still buy there after the unanimous responses you have received, you deserve everything you get.

there was a good house on the greendale road (foxfield end) that recently went for 120k. i suggest you look there instead

only guessing that 120k is edenmore budget. have no idea the price of the gaffs there cos you couodnt pay me to live there

Everyone here is probably right and I'll take everyone's advice. I found a conflicting forum below. I know it's from 2006 but I'm wondering why one crowd is saying it's ok and you guys are saying it's really bad?-

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=31743

Everyone here is probably right and I'll take everyone's advice. I found a conflicting forum below. I know it's from 2006 but I'm wondering why one crowd is saying it's ok and you guys are saying it's really bad?-

would be intrrested in a link to the place you were thinking of. who knows, maybe there is a quiet end. but the shops area is a disaster. haloween is coming up, count the burnt out cars the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That Iceland didn't even bother reopening there speaks volumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

In 2006 everyone was clamouring to get a foothold on the "property ladder" and ANYWHERE in Dublin was fair game. Nonsense has ended.

There are plenty of nice people who live in Edenmore, but if I could live somewhere other than Edenmore I would. It's just not a great area.

In fairness that is comparing Finglas to Edenmore. It also mentions avoiding being close to the shops or parks in the area. Not exactly a ringing endorsement

In 2006 everyone was clamouring to get a foothold on the "property ladder" and ANYWHERE in Dublin was fair game. Nonsense has ended.

That is a fair point. There was alot of rose tinted glasses around the place then.

It is not often that we reach a consensus in the Accommodation and Property forum so take from that what you will.

Good and bad parts in Edenmore not the worst area in Dublin but some bad parts . Also some quiet areas as well and really think if your looking at a house go around the area in the evening and see what you think yourself rather than taking opinion of few people from their keyboards.

Good and bad parts in Edenmore not the worst area in Dublin but some bad parts . Also some quiet areas as well and really think if your looking at a house go around the area in the evening and see what you think yourself rather than taking opinion of few people from their keyboards.

What are the good and bad parts of Edenmore? I'm going down on friday night afterdark to have a look but I'm not so sure now

The area around the concorde and edenmore house is not great and has a lot of young lads hanging around. Areas further from this area ie nearer the edenmore football pitches which is the round down into raheny and the streets near tonlegee avenue are good bit nicer and quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

There is also a house for sale on Glenwood (just around the corner) and that's a much nicer road, but if you can afford it somewhere in Raheny village itself would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Going into the chipper there once I got some little bo***x, not more than 9-10 yrs old trying to intimidate me into handling over my car keys to him.

I find for me, little things like that tend to speak volumes about an area. Definitely avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

On the plus side , the chicken curry in the Ming Chinese is the best in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I used to live nearby up until a few years ago. There are many of parts of Edenmore than should be avoided. Mainly to the west and north of Edenmore Park. Around Glenwood Road, and maybe to the east of the park towards the Raheny Road would be nicer and you are likely to suffer less from anti-social behaviour (that's not to say there aren't friendly people living in other parts). As has been pointed out in other posts, there are alot of social problems around Edenmore, with anti-social behaviour around the green areas rife. It tended to be more common south of the shopping centre, rather than the Glenwood area, since that is probably too open for kids trying to hide their drinking etc.

It's actually easy enough to spot the reasonable areas from the bad. Go onto google street view, and check which areas have curb appeal. The nicer areas have attractively presented fronts, those with social issues tend to have poorly maintained gardens etc. It might sound stereotypical, but it is true for Edenmore.

Advertisement