Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish babys grandparents raising grandchild in China

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

There is too much emphasis on money in this material world. There is no substitute for something so special as a parent's love

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Xidu wrote: »
    also, in China, it's common that every class has over 50 kids. And if you do not own a house around the school area, you are not allowed to go to this certain school, families in this area are the priority. If you rent a house around the area, you have to put your kids in this school, then you will have to pay certain extra money to get in the school. Schools are trying every way to make money from parents. Not that many schools are really for educating kids.

And a teacher normally have to teach 3 classes, so 150 kids per teacher. No way they can know every single child so well, understand every child's character...it's just too much for them. Parents will have to pay for teacher for extra hours if their kids fail exams...

so it's true almost everything is about money money. It's sick. I feel sad about it as I am chinese. Most of Chinese are still living in poverty. That's why everyone want to make money. I am 31, but when i was a child, i never heard about chocolate, lego, teddy bear. People are living better life now, but they cant get rid of the poverty shadow.

Seeing as you probaby know more than any of us about it would you consider that a child would have a better life being brought up in Ireland or being raised in China where money would be sent?
    Would a child living on the kind of money they average proffessional parent would be able to send from Ireland provide an exceptional style of life to a child?

From what you say life sounds easier in Ireland for a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ciarabear wrote: »
    There is too much emphasis on money in this material world. There is no substitute for something so special as a parent's love
    ^

First . World.

pwurple wrote: »
    ^
    First . World.

Love is universal. It's very noble of any parent to invest financially in their child's future but in the big scheme of things, it's even more important to be present. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

The amount of cultural ignorance on here is quite astounding... I understand it is a leap to some people to understand the norms in culture other than their own.. But to be aghast that extended family are raising a child, so that the mother can work and provide for child's future and extended family.. And the lack of understanding in some cultures whereby if you have no money you have no rights.. I suspect most commenting haven't been close to china... I think people should really focus more on providing for their own families and extended families ( like that is the norm in recent times in Ireland lol) and less making cultural judgements on another mother who is obviously doing what is best for her child and her family, and probably supporting a whole host of people who, she loves and doing her best. Privelidge really is a great place to be casting judgement... I suspect the lady in question loves and cares for her family and extended family more than many.. And provides for them at great sacrifice. That should be commended.

• Advertisement

dharma200 wrote: »
    The amount of cultural ignorance on here is quite astounding

The ignorance assumption when people express an alternative opinion is a lazy one. Just because someone doesn't agree with your perspective, doesn't mean they aren't informed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Love is universal. It's very noble of any parent to invest financially in their child's future but in the big scheme of things, it's even more important to be present. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Adopted parents. Grandparents. Single parent. Doesn't matter. A child just needs someone, anyone.

Above all else are the ACTUAL necessities. Food, air, water, housing, a future.

The hallmark cuddly stuff can be afforded when other basics are taken care of.

The ignorance assumption when people express an alternative opinion is a lazy one. Just because someone doesn't agree with your perspective, doesn't mean they aren't informed

I a, not talking about agreeing and perspective, I am talking about cultural norms, the difference in cultural norms for one culture to another, accepting these as such and not allowing ones own norms to become a universal standard, when no such standard exists.

I a, not talking about agreeing and perspective, I am talking about cultural norms, the difference in cultural norms for one culture to another, accepting these as such and not allowing ones own norms to become a universal standard, when no such standard exists.

Female circumcision is culturally normal in parts of Africa. Just because cultural norms exist does not make them right or that everyone must agree with them

Eh, I'm not saying that.. Female genital mutation has nothing to do with a mother allowing her family to raise her child while she is the breadwinner for said family.. I hate that, when someone brings to a thread total extreme situations that have no relevance to the actual thread. Female genial mutation has nothing to do with I e parent questioning another parents choice of how they support their extended and immediate family. Nothing to do with female general mutation. Gawd.

• Advertisement

Eh, I'm not saying that.. Female genital mutation has nothing to do with a mother allowing her family to raise her child while she is the breadwinner for said family.. I hate that, when someone brings to a thread total extreme situations that have no relevance to the actual thread. Female genial mutation has nothing to do with I e parent questioning another parents choice of how they support their extended and immediate family. Nothing to do with female general mutation. Gawd.

You seem to think that because cultural norms exist, we must all agree with them. My point is an example to illustrate that just because people do something by way of tradition somewhere in the world, it does not automatically make that tradition right and it is other peoples right to hold that view without being deemed ignorant.

I am not suggesting we all agree. I am saying to judge another human being using your own cultural norms, without taking into account their cultural norms, is fairly culturally ignorant. End of. Quite happy for people to disagree, quite happy to share my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A lot of Irish people use au pairs and barely interact with their children. A least the babies grandparents in China are going to hopefully adore and love the child. Unlike many irish people I know that do not in any form interact with their children.

Orion wrote: »
    This is not the first time you're being warned for this type of comment. Next time you decide to flame like this you will no longer be welcome in Parenting.

This is a very overly sensitive modding !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Seeing as you probaby know more than any of us about it would you consider that a child would have a better life being brought up in Ireland or being raised in China where money would be sent?
    Would a child living on the kind of money they average proffessional parent would be able to send from Ireland provide an exceptional style of life to a child?

From what you say life sounds easier in Ireland for a child.

It's much better life in Ireland considering the big space for kids to run around, the clean air... But I partly guess the mom thinks baby is too small to know that much yet, so it's ok to send the baby back to china, but the baby will be brought back to Ireland for education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This is a very overly sensitive modding !!!

If you've a problem with moderation, I suggest you PM the mod in question instead of arguing on thread.

January wrote: »
    If you've a problem with moderation, I suggest you PM the mod in question instead of arguing on thread.

I've no problem with moderation, just over moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That's your final warning. Please stay on topic.

LMAO!!!

I'll be good, I promise. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement