Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No signal from PC.

Options
  • 29-08-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've pulled my old PC from under the stairs and turned it on but the monitor is getting 'no signal'.

I put in a video card and connected to that but no signal either.

It was working fine when I put it away about 18 months ago.

Anyone any suggestions as to what I might try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It probably is was connected to your onboard graphics. You'll have to change your input to your graphics card 1st in the BIOS using the onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

RossieMan wrote: »
    It probably is was connected to your onboard graphics. You'll have to change your input to your graphics card 1st in the BIOS using the onboard.

The BIOS isn't even showing up. I'm getting absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What do you get in terms of lights / fans / sound on the computer.

Can you hear beeps or even windows chime as the pc starts up.

Power supplies can fail after a long period of being turned off.

My first step would be the video card but you tried that (Is its a gaming graphics card that requires power directly from the power supply).

Pull the bios battery (cell battery on mobo) out and give it a try.

Try another power supply if you can.

no, what i'm saying is not to use the graphics card you put in(i'm assuming it wasn't used before).

Try plugging the VGA from the screen into the on-board. then enter BIOS and change it, if it works with the on-board that is.

hearny wrote: »
    What do you get in terms of lights / fans / sound on the computer.

Can you hear beeps or even windows chime as the pc starts up.

Power supplies can fail after a long period of being turned off.

My first step would be the video card but you tried that (Is its a gaming graphics card that requires power directly from the power supply).

Pull the bios battery (cell battery on mobo) out and give it a try.

Try another power supply if you can.

The power supply is working. It's running the fan and the cd drive is opening/closing.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say pull the bios battery. I can take it out but what wil lthat do?

• Advertisement

Yeah take out the battery when the PC is unplugged.

Turn it on with the battery out.

Power supply may still be the cause, it has to produce different voltages for different components so its best to rule it out. Do you have access to a replacement.

RossieMan wrote: »
    no, what i'm saying is not to use the graphics card you put in(i'm assuming it wasn't used before).

Try plugging the VGA from the screen into the on-board. then enter BIOS and change it, if it works with the on-board that is.

I've plugged into the VGA from the motherboard but I'm getting no signal.

If I can't access BIOS, what can I do?

Yeah take out the battery when the PC is unplugged.

Turn it on with the battery out.

Power supply may still be the cause, it has to produce different voltages for different components so its best to rule it out. Do you have access to a replacement.

I'll try removing the battery first and see what happens. I don't have an alternative power supply.

I was hoping to set it up as a pc for my son so it's not worth buying a new supply.

When you have the vga plugged into the motherboard do you have the other graphics card unplugged.

Power supplies are quite cheap but I wouldnt buy one until you know its the fault.

Where are you based.

When you have the vga plugged into the motherboard do you have the other graphics card unplugged.

Power supplies are quite cheap but I wouldnt buy one until you know its the fault.

Where are you based.

I've tried the VGA without the card, nothing.
    I don't think it's the power supply because the machine is running, just no signal output.
    I'm in Dublin.

• Advertisement

seems very strange that the on-board isn't working at least.

How did you connect it up before?

have you ensured its in the screen properly?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried reseating the RAM modules? Could be something this simple

Nick

Advertisement