Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower Boxes in Eyre Square

Options
  • 29-08-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

I am sure like me anyone that was in Eyre Square would have seen the beautiful flowers that were in large boxes, they were really blooming, I was in the Square on Tuesday and they are all gone, why take them away they really added to the Square and we are still in August. If they were all dead fine but they were beautiful who is responsible for taking them away the place looks bare without them now.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Maybe its That one again... this time with a bigger shopping bag.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I am sure like me anyone that was in Eyre Square would have seen the beautiful flowers that were in large boxes, they were really blooming, I was in the Square on Tuesday and they are all gone, why take them away they really added to the Square and we are still in August. If they were all dead fine but they were beautiful who is responsible for taking them away the place looks bare without them now.:mad:

Think they were done by Bill Madden. Really brighten up the place alright so a pity if they are gone for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Quick! The visitors have gone. Put away that good china, and take that biscuit out of your gob! We'll put it back in the tin for next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If they were from the same crowd that did provided the ones around the city for the first Volvo Ocean Race, they cost an absolute fortune to the point you would question what gobsh!tes would pay that much.

It seems cheaper to buy your own and plant and maintain them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

wompa, back that up with some figures please. How much is too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I presume the plan was to have them taken away before the students get back. They wouldn't last long after next week.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    wompa, back that up with some figures please. How much is too much?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9217-end-flower-show-200-boxes-go

30k just for the rent for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Redskinsdog

dube,let it be.

Wompa1 wrote: »

Plants are expensive...

6,000 a month to water this garden which are in storage at the moment:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/01/04/citys-6k-a-month-bill-for-sky-garden-plants/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Wompa1 wrote: »

Thanks, yes its alot of money but when you break it down as one box for 150euro, including maintenence for 6 months and its not so bad...That was 2009, i wonder what the tender is worth now.

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Plants are expensive...

6,000 a month to water this garden which are in storage at the moment:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/01/04/citys-6k-a-month-bill-for-sky-garden-plants/
    Thanks, yes its alot of money but when you break it down as one box for 150euro, including maintenence for 6 months and its not so bad...That was 2009, i wonder what the tender is worth now.

I think you lads didn't read the link. It say's 30k just for the plants. Nothing about cost for maintaining. It also doesn't include the cost of the one's they bought. It says towards the bottom of the article that they did not have the total cost and 'it would take some time to calculate'

I wonder what the tender is worth now.

Sorry cannot find Galway - but this might give indication of costs.

"BID spends about €35,000 per year placing and maintaining about 40 such planters around the city city." link

Its all a required business expense though... like cleaning the streets or security. Without it there would be less footfall in the area.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ozmo wrote: »
    Its all a required business expense though... like cleaning the streets or security. Without it there would be less footfall in the area.

seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seriously?

Did you notice how this thread started with someone commenting that it's say they've been taken away 'cos of how much they brighten up the place? They do make Eyre Square look more attractive, and that's A Good Thing for the tourist industry.

And seriously, the money spent on plants is chickenfeed compared to the amount on litter picking.

FWIW, I noticed the other evening that several of the planters were starting to look very ragged. Once the flowers start dying, lifespan is short I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

Pot plants can look "relatively" healthy and die the next, when they've reached the end of their flowering season. The planters were petunias though, I thought, which have a tendency to come back again and again and again. I imagine the suggestion that they're being removed pre-student return is likely on the money, sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I'd say they're gone for the winter. probably to a greenhouse to get them ready for next spring.

But yeah, let's blame the students!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

There is a serious lack of bins around Galway. Late at night I don't know how many times I have tried to put rubbish in a bin that is full and overflowing, perhaps they should think about putting in larger bins in these areas. Would make the cleaning up a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sea_monkey wrote: »
    But yeah, let's blame the students!

Yeah, it probably wasn't the council took them at all.

I bet that student flat all around Galway are now decorated with Eyre Square plant pots in the corner of the lounge. Students are too poor to afford TVs, so will entertain themselves watching the plants grow.

:D

Advertisement