Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hertz refuel charge

Options
  • 29-08-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all, looking for any advice on what I can do about this. Just returned from holiday in Spain, got credit card bill this morning and had a charge of €76 from Hertz in Girona Airport - I left the car back full and the can was checked at the airport and everything was ok I was told. I rang Hertz customer services and the said they will investigate with Hertz spain, but asked me if I had a receipt for the diesel (which I don't). Anyone with similar experiences and is it just my word against theirs?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

do you have anything from when you handed it back? How did you pay for the diesel? if CC you will have it on your statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

For some reason, I have been charged €5.50 extra by Hertz after dropping my car back to CDG airport in Paris a couple of weeks ago. I filled it up at the airport and it was choc-a-bloc when returned. The guy who checked it wrote "full" on my receipt but they still felt justified in taking an extra few euros from me.

Did you book through Ryanair?

Sometimes when you book through Ryanair for a rental in Spain, one of the conditions is that you will have to pay for the tank of fuel when you arrive, and are supposed to bring the car back empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 atticus

Thanks for replies. I booked through the Aer lingus site on a full-full basis, paid in cash for the diesel just a few kilometres from the airport. When the car was checked in, the girl in the hertz returns office went over it really well for damage etc., said everything was ok but I didn't get anything in writing. You don't expect to get gouged by a respectable company like Hertz.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

atticus wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I booked through the Aer lingus site on a full-full basis, paid in cash for the diesel just a few kilometres from the airport. When the car was checked in, the girl in the hertz returns office went over it really well for damage etc., said everything was ok but I didn't get anything in writing. You don't expect to get gouged by a respectable company like Hertz.

Ask them for supporting documentation (i.e. amount of fuel dispensed to the car) to support this charge. When you check back in the car, they usually issue you the receipt there and then based on the inspection. It's all typed into the electronic thing they use. Did you get that when you dropped off the car?

It's also possible that this is an error, so you really do need to look for evidence.

Generally, Hertz in the US let you have about an eighth of a tank leeway when returning a car, which is pretty decent. I've only had a refuel charge once, when I couldn't find a flipping petrol station and had to take the hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

byronbay2 wrote: »
    For some reason, I have been charged €5.50 extra by Hertz after dropping my car back to CDG airport in Paris a couple of weeks ago. I filled it up at the airport and it was choc-a-bloc when returned. The guy who checked it wrote "full" on my receipt but they still felt justified in taking an extra few euros from me.

Did you ask them what the €5.50 charge related to? Did you drive through any tolls while in France? Toll charges often get charged later to your card, once Hertz receive the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dudara wrote: »
    Did you ask them what the €5.50 charge related to? Did you drive through any tolls while in France? Toll charges often get charged later to your card, once Hertz receive the bills

+1 It has to be something other than fuel because they normally charge you a 'refuelling charge' on top of the cost of the fuel i.e. they charge you for the effort in topping up the tank as well as the cost of the fuel.

Exanple: Hertz Ireland says 'All Hertz vehicles are rented with a full tank and must be returned with a full tank or a local refuelling charge will apply in addition to the cost of the fuel'.

For the admin it involves, I can't see the agents in the airport going to that amount of trouble over three or four litres of fuel. It has to be tolls and the OP's charge could be a parking or speeding ticket or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

dudara wrote: »

Was assuming it could only be fuel-related. Have not contacted Hertz yet (only found out about extra charge on Wednesday) but will let you know when I get an answer. Certainly paid a lot of tolls while in France (drove from Paris to Alps and back again) but have never seen any drive-through tolls there. Usually, you get a ticket when you join the toll road and pay when you get off.

I'll give Hertz a call this evening or tomorrow if I think of it - need to get my hands on my receipt first.

Advertisement