Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Opinions

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I've been planning on getting a tattoo for years. I'm finally sure of what I want, where I want it, how long it will take, the price, who is going to do if for me, etc.

The tattoo is of a celtic cross with a banner of words wrapped around it in torn parchment. The words are my first and second names in Hebrew, translated into Latin. Loosely translated they will say 'God is my Judge so who are you to judge me?' Under the cross I'm getting my date of birth tattooed in Roman Numerals. All on my right shoulder blade.

I'm curious as to what people think of me getting a tattoo of my name and DOB on myself? Is it a bit much/self righteous? I've talked to a few people about it and have to admit don't know of anyone famous or otherwise who got their own name/DOB tattooed on themselves although I know its popular thing people do for their kids.

What do you think? I know it's my tattoo and people say that if I'm happy with it then that's all that matters but I'd really like the opinions of people I don't know - as I know you will more honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I wouldn't get it done on myself personally. But you're the one that will have it on your body forever, so nobody else can tell you what to get or not get done!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Personal opinion asked for: IMO "only god will judge me" is the preserve of bell ends. You're not a bell end are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

At the end of the day it'll be your body and your tattoo so the only person who's opinion should matter about it is yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Bambi wrote: »
    Personal opinion asked for: IMO "only god will judge me" is the preserve of bell ends. You're not a bell end are you?
    Only god can judge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I always view the "Only God can judge me" phrase as hypocritical when it comes to tattoos.
    If you want to be ironic about it, may as well get "Leviticus 19:28" tattooed on yourself.

"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

dmullins3 wrote: »
    I've been planning on getting a tattoo for years. I'm finally sure of what I want, where I want it, how long it will take, the price, who is going to do if for me, etc.

The tattoo is of a celtic cross with a banner of words wrapped around it in torn parchment. The words are my first and second names in Hebrew, translated into Latin. Loosely translated they will say 'God is my Judge so who are you to judge me?' Under the cross I'm getting my date of birth tattooed in Roman Numerals. All on my right shoulder blade.

I'm curious as to what people think of me getting a tattoo of my name and DOB on myself? Is it a bit much/self righteous? I've talked to a few people about it and have to admit don't know of anyone famous or otherwise who got their own name/DOB tattooed on themselves although I know its popular thing people do for their kids.

What do you think? I know it's my tattoo and people say that if I'm happy with it then that's all that matters but I'd really like the opinions of people I don't know - as I know you will more honest.
    Getting your name and dob tattooed on you?? Knobish, will you forget your own name and date of birth??

If you do will you suddenly learn hebrew to know how to read it or roman numerals?? Also I see how Irish,HEbrew and roman numerals work soooooooooo well together in the one tattoo. Are you fluent in Hebrew and Latin cos you wont know what the **** the tattoo actually says unless you are.

Also you are literally Saying only god can judge me just in a different way. Thug life brah, musta been hard in the ghetto slinging that dope and rock, doing **** that nobody should have to just to survive! I won't judge you man....I won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I always view the "Only God can judge me" phrase as hypocritical when it comes to tattoos.
    If you want to be ironic about it, may as well get "Leviticus 19:28" tattooed on yourself.

"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

My personal favorite is the whole not wearing clothes of two different materials, ya never see the bible bashers bring that one up

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Sounds like a cliché overload, but fire ahead if you're happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I would have thunk the whole point of that tattoo would be that you're your own man and don't require validation from anyone. ...however, it would appear that you are looking for that very validation right no. :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't do it. It sounds crap as others have said - but, on the other hand, only god will judge you right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jasus were a harsh bunch in here today :pac:, personally no I wouldn't go for it as other have said it's a bit cliche really right up there with tribals imo.

But at the end of the day it's your body it will be your tattoo and if you are truly happy with it that's all that matters really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Wouldn't go for it myself, personally I'd say it'll come out quite tacky.

When I went to get my first tattoo, I went for something I liked the look of.No latin, hebrew or anything like that just a nice image that I thought looked cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

dmullins3 wrote: »

The tattoo wouldn't be my cup of tea at all, but that's neither here nor there - if you like it go for it, it's going to be on your skin not anyone elses.
    I am curious though as to how you reckon your name translated into latin somehow becomes "God is my judge, so who are you to judge me?" That makes no sense. I'd double check that translation before you go getting it inked!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I am curious though as to how you reckon your name translated into latin somehow becomes "God is my judge, so who are you to judge me?" That makes no sense. I'd double check that translation before you go getting it inked!

its a lot cooler than what my name means.my first name originates from greek meaning 'king' or 'crowned one' and my surname is of norman origins and means something like 'peasant folk'....so i guess i'm the king of the peasants.great

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Who cares what other people think? You like it, go for it!
    Seriously if you really care about peoples opinions you shouldnt get tattoed at all. Some people WILL dislike your tattoo,whatever it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

King of peasants?! Not that bad, sounds very Robin Hood.

Do it if you're happy with it. Why do you care what other people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Whatever about a tattoo, King of Peasants is a great name for a debut album. Maybe you should start a band...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Rather be the King of Pheasents myself.

There's more clichés in that tattoo then you can shake a stick at. All it's is missing is some stars and birds flying out of feathers.

Advertisement