Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry hopping Cooper's IPA?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

I started off a Cooper's IPA last Friday. Brewed to 23 litres using 1.5kg of LME.

Going off on holidays for a week on Saturday and planning to dry hop when I come back.

That would mean dry hopping a little after 2 weeks then giving it maybe 5 days with the hops before bottling. How does that sound? I'll check that fermentation is finished before adding the hops.

Thinking of using 25g of Cascade hop pellets and putting them into a muslin bag. Too little?

I really like St. Austell's Proper Job so something to the same style might be nice if it could be achieved by dry hopping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Thinking of using 25g of Cascade hop pellets and putting them into a muslin bag. Too little?

I really like St. Austell's Proper Job so something to the same style might be nice if it could be achieved by dry hopping.

Id use 30g-35g ,as proper job very hoppy ,i think citra and cascade are used

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

I used to dry hop my IPA kits with 30-40G of cascade or citra. Makes a big difference to the aroma.

A lot of people say to use cones, but I found pellets fine. I put them into a sanitised muslin bag and stuck them into the fermenter after a week, then bottled after another week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I'm about to crack open a Copper's IPA batch this weekend. I dry hopped it for about 8 days with 50g of leaf Cascade after it had been sitting in the fermenter for two weeks. It has being conditioning for almost five weeks now. I could probably update on the results tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the replies, think I'll be going for at least 35g so.

Be excellent if you let us know how you get on with that Knifey Spoony.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

I started off a Cooper's IPA last Friday. Brewed to 23 litres using 1.5kg of LME.

Going off on holidays for a week on Saturday and planning to dry hop when I come back.

That would mean dry hopping a little after 2 weeks then giving it maybe 5 days with the hops before bottling. How does that sound? I'll check that fermentation is finished before adding the hops.

3 hops in this beer http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-austell-proper-job-bottle/59023/

had a go at a hacking a kit with the 3 hops and it got infected, going to retry it again next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

Here's the Coopers IPA kit i have on the go. At the moment it's dry hopping. I'll bottle Sunday evening.

Coopers IPA kit
    1KG LME
    1kg Dextrose

Hop tea:
    35 grm Cascade boiled for 25min
    25 grm Columbus boiled for 25 min with 1kg dextrose

Dry Hop for 5 days
    35 grm Cascade
    25 grm Columbus

OG 1058`
    FG 1010(when i checked the other day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Update time...

Not too sure what dry hopping added to the beer. It terms of smell, it is very subtle and there is perhaps a subtle grapefruit flavour in the background. Tbh, I would of expected a greater impact, given the amount of hops I used.

I think this could be down to the fact I let the hops float on top of the beer, in two separate hop bags, so there was probably some amount of hops not in contact with the beer. What I am going to do in future in use some sanitized marbles to sink the hops, with some floss to suspend them in the middle of the fermenter.

What will be interesting to see is if there is a more pronounced Cascade aroma in bottles that would have been bottled last and so have beer that would have been in direct contact with the hops.

But still, it's a damn tasty beer!

Advertisement