Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's a strange one, did you just leave stock apps on after you reset?

Out of interest, what did you find disappointing? I went from the s3 to this and am loving it.

I just found it seemed to be slowing up and a little glitchy at times. Had more lag than I was expecting. To be honest I preferred the older note 2 after a few weeks use and most definitely the HTC One.

Anyway, got very close on what I paid for it and have a Nexus 5 being shipped so I get to have novelty again soon and cash in my back pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

Have had the same problem as other users with the prevention message because my battery was being eaten at a rate of 30 - 40% overnight and started to lag on even the stock apps since that glitch appeared.....did a reset and restored my apps and now back to normal of 3-5% without use overnight and of course no prevention message either. Also on startup i disabled knox and google now. i am not sure but this really started for me when i installed swiftkey beta with knox enabled and also activating googlenow app after the latest update. My N3 is unrooted which is how i want to keep it for this device anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I got the error the minute I started up phone from scratch. Seems to happen whenever it connects to a wifi network i.e. when I turn on phone or move to new wifi location. Have mine a week now and no sign of it slowing up. Coming from an S3 which is a great phone this is even better. Wish the 4G Update would come out soon. Can find next to nothing on the web about it (on Meteor network).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi, did anybody get the phone sim unlocked?
    I tried different options with no luck. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

iwo wrote: »
    Hi, did anybody get the phone sim unlocked?
    I tried different options with no luck. Any help appreciated.

You might want to list what you've tried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is there a way of checking if the phone is unlocked? I remember there being a code you entered on the S3/4 that would tell you if it was carrier locked..

Zagato wrote: »
    You might want to list what you've tried

1. Box - a guy tried to unlock no luck
    2. Code from Samsung
    a. Guy on ebay
    b. Website online
    c. Place in phone shop
    3. Checked many forums and tools, i was able to unlock many phones such as s3, s4, note and note2...and many others.

I'm stuck with this one and can't use sim. Rooting is an option but only if it doesn't void warranty (knox) I checked x da. ..not an easy process but I could go with it as a last resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

1. Box - a guy tried to unlock no luck
    2. Code from Samsung
    a. Guy on ebay
    b. Website online
    c. Place in phone shop
    3. Checked many forums and tools, i was able to unlock many phones such as s3, s4, note and note2...and many others.

I'm stuck with this one and can't use sim. Rooting is an option but only if it doesn't void warranty (knox) I checked x da. ..not an easy process but I could go with it as a last resource.

Use unlocked.ie. It costs 20 euro but I have gotten two Note 3's unlocked already. Put it in as a Note 2 as they don't have the note 3 option yet.

Both Note 3's I have had unlocked were on O2 network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hi guys expecting delivery of my note 3 tomorrow. I haven't bought a new phone since my Gs2 so just wondering on the battery front. Can I use it away straight out of the box and then charge it for 12 hours after it dies or do I charge it for an extended period out of the box or is it just users differ and batteries die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Hi guys expecting delivery of my note 3 tomorrow. I haven't bought a new phone since my Gs2 so just wondering on the battery front. Can I use it away straight out of the box and then charge it for 12 hours after it dies or do I charge it for an extended period out of the box or is it just users differ and batteries die?
    Mine had about half a battery in it when it was delivered. I used it away and then slapped it on charge that night while I slept (so about 6 hours I guess). Was fully charged when I woke up and I've only completely discharged it once in the week since.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    Use unlocked.ie. It costs 20 euro but I have gotten two Note 3's unlocked already. Put it in as a Note 2 as they don't have the note 3 option yet.

Both Note 3's I have had unlocked were on O2 network.

Thanks but can you confirm the website pls? I don't think the one above is correct

Gel bumper protector arrived in the post this morning. Fits fine and will protect the sides fine, but annoyingly the camera lens is protruding too far so it's still vulnerable when left on a flat surface :(

I really think the major tough case manufacturers are slacking here.
    The phone is out a month now but you still can't order a seidio obex, otterbox defender, griffin survivor, kraken ams or ballistic maxx.
    What gives.
    Get the finger out lads I need an inbuilt screen protector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I really think the major tough case manufacturers are slacking here.
    The phone is out a month now but you still can't order a seidio obex, otterbox defender, griffin survivor, kraken ams or ballistic maxx.
    What gives.
    Get the finger out lads I need an inbuilt screen protector.

Note is a niche device. It will always lack support. Had the same problem on note 2.

Note is a niche device. It will always lack support. Had the same problem on note 2.
    Well I noticed ballistic have their maxx case on their site it just says unavailable and the same with the otterbox defender so hopefully not too much of a wait.
    I got my father a Seidio Obex for his S4 and it is of the highest quality would love one for the Note 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

When i say "pause" " next" and "previous" the music player responds.

"play" however, it doesn't do a tap.

Is this common, or something wrong with my voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone know of any flashlight apps that work with this phone?

I've tried a few, strangely none seem to work. What's with that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

There is the stock assistive light widget you can add to the homescreen. works well.

Power Toggles is a nice widget which has light too. Fully recommend to those who like shortcuts on the screen. Nice and tidy.

Hi guys just got my hands on this beast yesterday and loving it so far.
    Just a few questions.
    Is there an inbuilt screen protector
    Is there a protector over the camera lens
    And is there something I can do to make the screen pop more.? I have it set on dynamic like my s2 but the same pictures seem brighter and clearer on my s2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Found an app called Swiss Army Knife which has a few different options including flashlight, unit converter, compass, spirit level etc!

Got my cheap eBay Class 10 64GB memory card in the post today - 96GB should last me a while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Tried about three different Flash light lamp apps and none worked. Or so I Thought. Quick reboot sorted them though :o

Finally... I got the sim lock removed - 13e on ebay.

Overall I am very happy with the phone.

The things which should not have happened are: knox, moving home button and the silver plastic around the phone. Gadget worth so much should give more premium experience FFS! Ohhh i forgot about this "leather" back... GE-ZUZ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Finally... I got the sim lock removed - 13e on ebay.

Overall I am very happy with the phone.

The things which should not have happened are: knox, moving home button and the silver plastic around the phone. Gadget worth so much should give more premium experience FFS! Ohhh i forgot about this "leather" back... GE-ZUZ!

Glad to see you got it unlocked. You were right the name I gave you earlier was wrong it's actually unlock.ie.

Also, anything other than plastic on a phone is a bad idea. Metal will scratch and will just end up looking terrible, so most people put covers on them, making the materials they are made of useless other than extra weight.

Hey guy's looks like no one can answer my previous queries but I have another one.
    What's the deal with the auto brightness? When I tick it and even set it at +5 it's still really dark and hard to read.
    Any advice?

Check ebay for screen and camera protectors.
    Did you use some screen protector already? Maybe it covers brightness sensor too much? I have mine set up at +3 and looks ok. It is sometimes inaccurate when I'm below spot lights as they give very direct light.

Check ebay for screen and camera protectors.
    Did you use some screen protector already? Maybe it covers brightness sensor too much? I have mine set up at +3 and looks ok. It is sometimes inaccurate when I'm below spot lights as they give very direct light.
    My original query was is there a screen protector fitted out of the box? Sometimes I think I can see an outline around the screen edges. And I had the same question about whether there is one over the camera lens out of the box?
    Also I expected my battery to be much better. I took it off charge this morning at 7 and with just over an hours browsing and tune in radio for 40 minutes I'm already below 70%.
    When I was researching this phone a lot of people were reporting a day and a half battery and sometimes two.
    When I check my battery usage 63% is the screen.

My original query was is there a screen protector fitted out of the box? Sometimes I think I can see an outline around the screen edges. And I had the same question about whether there is one over the camera lens out of the box?
    Answer to the first question is no anyway. And the second part is a yes, but it will fall off fairly quickly (think mine lasted 4 days before it began peeling off the lens).

Battery consumption is all about what you have active - WiFi, GPS, Mobile Data, Air Gestures, Sync, Multi window, Smart Stay/pause/scroll ... they all have varying impacts on the battery consumption. You just need to find what works best for you as a balance between functions and duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

So I've just started getting the prevention information pop up. Bah!

Did anyone find a way of getting rid, or what was actually causing it?

Tick the box and forget about it. I've not had any wierdness since doing that :)

Top Dog wrote: »
    Answer to the first question is no anyway. And the second part is a yes, but it will fall off fairly quickly (think mine lasted 4 days before it began peeling off the lens).

Battery consumption is all about what you have active - WiFi, GPS, Mobile Data, Air Gestures, Sync, Multi window, Smart Stay/pause/scroll ... they all have varying impacts on the battery consumption. You just need to find what works best for you as a balance between functions and duration.
    Cheers hopefully it will fall off sooner rather than later.
    As For the battery, I'm beyond disappointed, it's actually worse than my S2 and I thought that was terrible.
    I have WiFi off, Smart pause off, Smart scroll off, GPS off, most air gestures off and screen dimmed way down and as I type im on 40%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So I've just started getting the prevention information pop up. Bah!

I got it last night for the first time too

I have WiFi off, Smart pause off, Smart scroll off, GPS off, most air gestures off and screen dimmed way down and as I type im on 40%.
    Now that's strange alright. I also came from an S2 (wife is using it now) and so far I've been pretty happy with the battery under similar useage.

Edit to clarify - when I say similar useage I mean similar to the use the S2 used to see. ;)

Cheers hopefully it will fall off sooner rather than later.
    As For the battery, I'm beyond disappointed, it's actually worse than my S2 and I thought that was terrible.

Did you check battery consumption in options?
    Maybe you just playing with it too much doing initial setup etc? My screen consumption is 35% and I'm using it since 6am with battery status 56%

It is similar to my previous note2 on sys version 4.2.1 which was the best.

• Advertisement

Did you check battery consumption in options?
    Maybe you just playing with it too much doing initial setup etc? My screen consumption is 35% and I'm using it since 6am with battery status 56%

It is similar to my previous note2 on sys version 4.2.1 which was the best.

Screen 65%
    Chrome 12%
    Android System 6%
    Android OS 4%
    Mediaserver 3%
    Facebook 3%
    Cell standby 3%
    Outlook.com 2%
    Display battery percentage

Screen 65%
    Chrome 12%
    Android System 6%
    Android OS 4%
    Mediaserver 3%
    Facebook 3%
    Cell standby 3%
    Outlook.com 2%
    What is your screen on time? You can find that by tapping it.

You must have it on all the time with 65% ^_^
    Or your screen is at full brightness at times?

You must have it on all the time with 65% ^_^
    Or your screen is at full brightness at times?

Was thinking the same, it's a pretty high percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

those of you getting the popup message ...

what fw are ye all on?

just arrived home & as soon as I connected to my wifi I got an 'update' icon
    cancelled the update on the phone, connected to kies 3 & got the update message.
    there's also an update to K3 itself

Current firmware version : PDA:MJ3 / PHONE:MJ2 / CSC:MJ3 (BTU)
    Latest firmware version : PDA:MJ7 / PHONE:MJ7 / CSC:MJ4 (BTU)

wonder if this is anything to do with 4G or just a general update

a bit apprehensive about updating for fear of getting the popup

• Advertisement

Screen 65%
    Chrome 12%
    Android System 6%
    Android OS 4%
    Mediaserver 3%
    Facebook 3%
    Cell standby 3%
    Outlook.com 2%
    4 hrs 43
    A long way from being on all day and I have it set at auto brightness on the half way mark.
    Any suggestions?
    Or do I have a dodgy phone?

4 hrs 43
    A long way from being on all day and I have it set at auto brightness on the half way mark.
    Any suggestions?
    Or do I have a dodgy phone?

Hmmmm just checked my own stats.

Phone off charge - 8 hours 30 mins
    Screen on time - 4 hours 20 mins
    Screen usage - 59%
    Battery - currently 21%

Now that's some heavy usage even for me tbh and I'm not surprised that I'm so low on juice.

Those of you with massive battery drain don't use Auto Brightness, untick it and drag it right down. Doesn't look as good but will save you loads of %. Currently I am on 38% with 13 hrs 48mins on battery, with some heavy use. Screen is 5% (On time was 1 hr 20m) Android OS is 26% Index Service 23% Android System 15%. Yesterday I had some major power drain running about twice the normal rate. Never found what the cause was, forgot to check usage. After reset and ram clear it was back to normal. Check your 3G isn't searching all the time this is the curse of any smart phone battery.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Those of you with massive battery drain don't use Auto Brightness, untick it and drag it right down. Doesn't look as good but will save you loads of %. Currently I am on 38% with 13 hrs 48mins on battery, with some heavy use. Screen is 5% (On time was 1 hr 20m) Android OS is 26% Index Service 23% Android System 15%. Yesterday I had some major power drain running about twice the normal rate. Never found what the cause was, forgot to check usage. After reset and ram clear it was back to normal. Check your 3G isn't searching all the time this is the curse of any smart phone battery.
    I reduced my screen brightness to the lowest level like you suggested and to be honest it's terrible trying to read the screen at this level. But here are my readings now, slightly improved but far from acceptable especially seeing as the screen isn't even enjoyable at this level.
    Actually thinking of sending it back.

I reduced my screen brightness to the lowest level like you suggested and to be honest it's terrible trying to read the screen at this level. But here are my readings now, slightly improved but far from acceptable especially seeing as the screen isn't even enjoyable at this level.

You have smart scrolling on and another icon at the top of your screen. I don't what that one is but closing them may help. Click on the screen and see how long it was on for. Something could be keeping on in your pocket or something. Chrome is showing up a high % try using standard browser and see if there is a change, Ultimately it could be a dud battery. I can use this brightness indoors all day, though things like photos and videos suffer so you can bump it up for them. I am at 93% battery with it on since 9.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    You have smart scrolling on and another icon at the top of your screen. I don't what that one is but closing them may help. Click on the screen and see how long it was on for. Something could be keeping on in your pocket or something. Chrome is showing up a high % try using standard browser and see if there is a change, Ultimately it could be a dud battery. I can use this brightness indoors all day, though things like photos and videos suffer so you can bump it up for them. I am at 93% battery with it on since 9.
    Screen time is 4 hours,
    I don't have smart scroll on I have smart stay on and I also had that on constantly on my s2 without a problem.
    I'm not sure what other symbol your on about.
    I must definitely have a dud battery if your on 93% and I'm on 37%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just wondering whats the best way of recording video on the Note 3 as i need to record a few interviews for work on it and i done some recording with the camera app thats on the phone and i found that the video is recording in 4K or Full HD i am not 100% on this as it was 10MB in 2 sec and what is the best app for recording as i will need to transfer the video over to my mac to edit in Final Cut Pro

Just wondering whats the best way of recording video on the Note 3 as i need to record a few interviews for work on it and i done some recording with the camera app thats on the phone and i found that the video is recording in 4K or Full HD i am not 100% on this as it was 10MB in 2 sec and what is the best app for recording as i will need to transfer the video over to my mac to edit in Final Cut Pro

Samsung app is ok for recording.
    Don't do 4k as there are no many tvs out there to display this resolution.
    File type is mp4

Something very strange going on there. Here's mine. Now granted I'm a light user, but I have sync, data & wifi on all day long, brightness set at about 40% and what you can't see beneath Chrome is Voice Calls - 3% and Internet 3%.

279336.jpg

Top Dog wrote: »
    Something very strange going on there. Here's mine. Now granted I'm a light user, but I have sync, data & wifi on all day long, brightness set at about 40% and what you can't see beneath Chrome is Voice Calls - 3% and Internet 3%.

279336.jpg

I went to bed last night with 70% remaining, though it wasn't a particularly heavy day, I have never gotten near that with any smart phone before. If it isn't a dud battery there is something running that is pulling it down. I would force stop each app and leave it to see if anything improves. As I said before anything that searches or uses 3G is most likely candidate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement