Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I'm next to a socket for my two work breaks so I'm just gonna give it a little boost every time I sit down.
    Anyone know if this is a good idea or could I reduce the life of my battery?
    Also if anyone is looking for a tough case I ordered The ballistic gel maxx on Amazon.com for $47.99 with delivery. Their own website wants $102! http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-MAXX-Samsung-Galaxy-Note/dp/B00FKLOM3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383906952&sr=8-1&keywords=ballistic+note+3
    The day after I bought it otterbox released their defender http://www.otterbox.com/Defender-Series-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-Case/sam2-galaxy-note-3,default,pd.html?dwvar_sam2-galaxy-note-3_color=20&start=2&cgid=samsung-galaxy-note-3-cases I think I prefer the ballistic with the replaceable screen protector and it looks slimmer than the otterbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Screen time is 4 hours,
    I don't have smart scroll on I have smart stay on and I also had that on constantly on my s2 without a problem.
    I'm not sure what other symbol your on about.
    I must definitely have a dud battery if your on 93% and I'm on 37%.

Impression I get is that you are using your phone a lot, on the above pick you are looking at battery drain over 3hrs 36mins and you are saying the screen has been on for 4hrs?
    It seems like you are permanently browsing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Top Dog wrote: »
    Got my cheap eBay Class 10 64GB memory card in the post today - 96GB should last me a while :D
    hopefully you won't be unlucky with that, but i really wouldn't be buying memory cards (cheap or otherwise) off ebay.

there's a very good chance that you haven't got a class 10 card. there's also a very real chance that, despite what it says on the packaging and card and despite what the system says is the size of the card, that it is a fake 64gb card and may only be as little as 2gb in size in reality.

the first thing i would do if i was you, would be to download H2testw from here and test it: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

better to find out for sure before you start saving precious memories to it and expect them to all be there when the time comes and find out that they aren't.

ebay is flooded with dodgy memory cards because they are dirt cheap to produce in bulk and cheap to sell and by the time most people realise they have already left their positive feedback and will quite often not chase up a dodgy card even if/when they do figure it out as it's not worth the hassle financially.

stick to places like 7dayshop, mymemory, memoryc, even dabs or elara etc. but steer clear of ebay for memory cards for your own good. :)

the last time i got a dodgy memory card off ebay was years ago when 2gb SD cards were the best thing since sliced bread. it was supposed to be a sandisk class 10 and i got it from a UK based platinum power seller. but it was fake. i questioned him about it and at first he denied it, then made up a story about it being a one off error from his supplier. neither ebay nor paypal were bothered as he was offering to refund me, so i went to sandisk and they were also very 'meh' about the whole thing, so i dropped it in the end, but caveat emptor. now i stick to reputable online retailers who i've dealt with before and i know only sell the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

vibe666 wrote: »
    ... really useful advice ...
    I appreciate the warnings, and I'll have a look at that link tomorrow and see. As it is I've already got 4GB of music, 2GB of photos and a bunch of app's transferred across to it and I can't say I'm seeing any delay in accessing files compared to those on the phone itself. I've gotten a good few memory cards/sticks off eBay in the past (16gb Sandisk arrived in the post yesterday :pac:) and *touch wood* so far I've not had anything to complain about. Class 10 cards for the camera work as fast as I'd hope, and the capacity of any cards bought for the phones has always been accurate.

I'll check it out though as so far all of the files are still on the laptop/online so even if it expired I wouldn't actually lose anything. But best play it safe before there's more valuable memories on there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

Have the note 3 for a few days and really happy with it. Battery life is a huge step up from the Note1. A lot faster as well. Camera starts up instantly. I know its only a matter of seconds/micro seconds.
    The new spen is a step up as well.
    Much smoother I think.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/galaxy-note-3-tips-and-tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So I've just started getting the prevention information pop up. Bah!

Did anyone find a way of getting rid, or what was actually causing it?
    I got it last night for the first time too

I've just joined your gang guys.

Small but irritating issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

I've just joined your gang guys.

Small but irritating issue.
    It's now just a small shield icon in the notification bar, I'm only leaving there so I remember to investigate a solution at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

It's now just a small shield icon in the notification bar, I'm only leaving there so I remember to investigate a solution at some point!

Root the phone and use Titanium Backup to freeze all KNOX apps. That notification was driving me crazy, had to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

dorgasm wrote: »
    Root the phone and use Titanium Backup to freeze all KNOX apps. That notification was driving me crazy, had to get rid of it.

Which are the knox apps?
    Can you not just disable them in Application manager?
    Does rooting not disable knox anyway?

• Advertisement

On Meteor here and just got a notification of a software update, soi this *could* be the 4G update getting pushed out (finally).

watch this space. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

On Meteor here and just got a notification of a software update, soi this *could* be the 4G update getting pushed out (finally).

watch this space. :)

well? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Mine is updating at the moment now too, emobile.

might not be the 4G update after all. :(

279763.png

Yup, same as mine.

well it is the 4G update, but it's broken my data connection. :(

weird thing is, I can do a speedtest fine, but no other data works at all.

no dropbox, no email, no web browsing.

if I disable the LTE option in the phone it works fine again, so I imagine they're still working on getting everything set up properly?

279769.png

still, not bad with (only just) 2 bars. :)

Had to hold it up to the window to get more than one where I am, so that's a pretty good result considering.

will have to find out where the nearest mast is to do a proper test. :D

• Advertisement

With all this update talk I went into my settings to manually check for an update but nothing happens when I click check for updates.
    Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

With all this update talk I went into my settings to manually check for an update but nothing happens when I click check for updates.
    Anyone else have this problem?

They seem to roll out randomly.. myself n the missus got two S4s on the same day, hers would get an update and mine maybe a week later.. was always like that.

Got the update this morning and it does enable 4G... Which is of no use to me as I get 1 bar on the 2G network in my house... and I live in Swords.. And if I stand on the roof of my house I can see the Metor mast down the road from me!

well it is the 4G update, but it's broken my data connection. :(

weird thing is, I can do a speedtest fine, but no other data works at all.

no dropbox, no email, no web browsing.

if I disable the LTE option in the phone it works fine again, so I imagine they're still working on getting everything set up properly?

attachment.php?attachmentid=279769&stc=1&d=1384165181

still, not bad with (only just) 2 bars. :)

Had to hold it up to the window to get more than one where I am, so that's a pretty good result considering.

will have to find out where the nearest mast is to do a proper test. :D

Where are you? I'm still only getting a h+ connection which works fine.

Where are you? I'm still only getting a h+ connection which works fine.
    I'm out in the ar$e end of Mulhuddart at the minute. I get full bars for 3G & H+ but only 1-2 bars on 4G so far and *still* no working data connection on 4G but working fine if i disable LTE in the settings.

going to nip into Blanch for lunch, so I'll try it there, hopefully I can get a better signal. Might swing into the meteor shop too and see if they know why there's no data (other than speedtest.net).

the other thing is, I've tried re-sending the data settings to my phone via the mymeteor website, but not getting anything through, even though I did when I tried last week.

unklerosco wrote: »
    They seem to roll out randomly.. myself n the missus got two S4s on the same day, hers would get an update and mine maybe a week later.. was always like that.

Got the update this morning and it does enable 4G... Which is of no use to me as I get 1 bar on the 2G network in my house... and I live in Swords.. And if I stand on the roof of my house I can see the Metor mast down the road from me!
    I understand that but my phone won't let me search for an update. When I click the button it does nothing, like usually it would tell me that my phone was up to date or that there were no updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I understand that but my phone won't let me search for an update. When I click the button it does nothing, like usually it would tell me that my phone was up to date or that there were no updates.

Depends where you bought the phone the model could be different so the update will be at a different time.

Just did the update and I don't see that stupid error everyone is getting yet. Lte is also selectable now too but no signal where I work. Keep getting new error at start up (was just getting it yesterday) google.apps failed or something. Don't know what is causing it.

Does anyone know what kind of cable or connection I need to hook the note 3 up to an external HDD? The HD has the same usb connection as the phone.

You need a usb host cable. Female usb to male micro usb.

This kind of connection?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-3-0-A-Female-to-USB-3-0-Micro-B-Male-Adapter-Connector-Converter-/150864044709?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item232032a2a5

Basically i want to completely bypass the need for a laptop, i have an External HDD full of movies. I want to be able to just transfer them to the phone as and when i want to watch them via streaming through the PS3.

After reading the above posts I'm actually half-afraid to install the update! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

This kind of connection?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-3-0-A-Female-to-USB-3-0-Micro-B-Male-Adapter-Connector-Converter-/150864044709?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item232032a2a5

Basically i want to completely bypass the need for a laptop, i have an External HDD full of movies. I want to be able to just transfer them to the phone as and when i want to watch them via streaming through the PS3.

You do realise it will kill your battery doing that fairly quick. Also it has to be formatted in a supported format which means only files over 4Gb can't be stored on the HDD.

At least that's what I picked up from the forums. My sticks work fine with an adapter, but my HDD is not recognised.

You do realise it will kill your battery doing that fairly quick. Also it has to be formatted in a supported format which means only files over 4Gb can't be stored on the HDD.

At least that's what I picked up from the forums. My sticks work fine with an adapter, but my HDD is not recognised.

All I want to do is this:

Attach the HDD to the Note, copy a movie from the HDD to the Note. Disconnect the HDD and then stream the movie to the ps3 as I have always done with downloaded shows.

Is that even possible?

All I want to do is this:

Attach the HDD to the Note, copy a movie from the HDD to the Note. Disconnect the HDD and then stream the movie to the ps3 as I have always done with downloaded shows.

Is that even possible?

Would it not be easier to connect the HD to the ps3 and play directly?

unklerosco wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to connect the HD to the ps3 and play directly?

It doesn't play mkv files.

Top Dog wrote: »
    After reading the above posts I'm actually half-afraid to install the update! :o

same here.
    in fact i changed my updates to manual - just in case :D

• Advertisement

Does the N3? :confused: Because I have a few and I didn't think they'd work so never bothered transferrring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

I haven't turned my ps3 on in a while, but I'm pretty sure it used to play .mkv's no problem.

What are you using to stream to the ps3? Just the Samsung app? I'm not sure that supports mkv, so that might be your problem?

charlesh wrote: »
    same here.
    in fact i changed my updates to manual - just in case :D

Why are you afraid? Perfectly good update. Have 4G access now and annoying pop up is gone. What is not to like?

I'm using this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dbubbleupnp to stream from my Note 3 to my PS3 and I haven't come across a file format that it wouldn't play yet.

I haven't turned my ps3 on in a while, but I'm pretty sure it used to play .mkv's no problem.

What are you using to stream to the ps3? Just the Samsung app? I'm not sure that supports mkv, so that might be your problem?

An app called Skifta that someone on here recommended.

This kind of connection?

yep, although if it's a 2.5" laptop sized hard drive rather than a USB key or 3.5" desktop USB HDD (which is powered externally), you may not be able to provide enough power to spin it up. I'm actually not sure if the usb3 port on the bottom of the note 3 would be able to supply enough power or not, but if it were usb2 it would be a definite no no, so you may have to do some digging to know for sure.

*but* even if it could push enough power to a USB HDD to power it, I can't imagine the battery in the Note 3 would last very long doing that. :)

another option would be one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Multi-functional-Connection-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B00E7NW1QM/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1384247336&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=%22hdmi+connection+kit%22+android

it has ports for full sized HDMI out (for playing stuff from your phone directly onto your TV), micro & regular SD slots, a full sized USB and a microUSB for 5v DC power so you can use a USB hard drive and power it via the dongle to transfer stuff to your phone.

the only real caveat is that you will most likely need to have your phone rooted to allow you to install an app with NTFS support for mounting NTFS formatted hard drives as it does not seem to be natively supported in Android as far as I can see.

yep, although if it's a 2.5" laptop sized hard drive rather than a USB key or 3.5" desktop USB HDD (which is powered externally), you may not be able to provide enough power to spin it up. I'm actually not sure if the usb3 port on the bottom of the note 3 would be able to supply enough power or not, but if it were usb2 it would be a definite no no, so you may have to do some digging to know for sure.

*but* even if it could push enough power to a USB HDD to power it, I can't imagine the battery in the Note 3 would last very long doing that. :)

another option would be one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Multi-functional-Connection-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B00E7NW1QM/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1384247336&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=%22hdmi+connection+kit%22+android

it has ports for full sized HDMI out (for playing stuff from your phone directly onto your TV), micro & regular SD slots, a full sized USB and a microUSB for 5v DC power so you can use a USB hard drive and power it via the dongle to transfer stuff to your phone.

the only real caveat is that you will most likely need to have your phone rooted to allow you to install an app with NTFS support for mounting NTFS formatted hard drives as it does not seem to be natively supported in Android as far as I can see.

It has a power supply. Apologies for all the questions, I don't have a clue about things like this.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Why are you afraid? Perfectly good update. Have 4G access now and annoying pop up is gone. What is not to like?

see post #666 :eek: from vibe666 :eek::eek: :D

the :eek is for the 666 not for the post itself :)

lol, i never noticed that, i wonder what the chances are? :)

Also, i managed to (again, just about) get 3 bars of 4G in blanchardstown yesterday lunchtime which gave me a much better speedtest result. :D

279892.png

i wonder how high it would go with full bars?

• Advertisement

I still haven't got a 4g connection :(

I still haven't got a 4g connection :(
    don't feel too bad, all I have been able to do with it so far is speedtests, nothing else data related works on 4G so far, so i have it disabled.

don't feel too bad, all I have been able to do with it so far is speedtests, nothing else data related works on 4G so far, so i have it disabled.

How do you disable/enable it? Is it just the mobile data you have disabled completely :

How do you disable/enable it? Is it just the mobile data you have disabled completely :
    drop down menu > cog > connections tab > more networks > mobile networks > network mode > LTE/WDCMA/GSM (auto connect)

changing it to the option below that of WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) will disable the 4G.

obviously you will need to have already installed the software update that came out in the last day or so which enables 4G/LTE connectivity on the Note 3.

drop down menu > cog > connections tab > more networks > mobile networks > network mode > LTE/WDCMA/GSM (auto connect)

changing it to the option below that of WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) will disable the 4G.

obviously you will need to have already installed the software update that came out in the last day or so which enables 4G/LTE connectivity on the Note 3.

Yeah have it set to the LTE mode but no 4g in Limerick or Clare yesterday or today.

charlesh wrote: »
    see post #666 :eek: from vibe666 :eek::eek: :D

the :eek is for the 666 not for the post itself :)

One person out of thousands. If there were issues everyone would be on here complaining. Anything could have happened while updating, power fluctuation, virus on phone etc. Works fine for me and 4G was working for me on 2 bars. Didn't do a speed test yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Just ran a software update from Three there and no sign of the LTE otpion in the Network Mode? Just the normal two options.

Am I missing something?

anncoates wrote: »
    Just ran a software update from Three there and no sign of the LTE otpion in the Network Mode? Just the normal two options.

Am I missing something?
    At least your phone will let you update my Note 3 with three won't even let me search for an update.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    A valid point - so I ran the update yesterday morning. Saw 4G data connection in Cork city last night :D

Picked up 4G a couple of times today around Dublin.. got 22mb down and 16mb up, never checked to see if my data connection worked while on the network tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

anncoates wrote: »

Am I missing something?

Same here dude.

Shag all different afaics, and definitely no 4G/LTE option either.

Dam you three!!!!
    Where's my 4G you bsdtatds :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement