Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Zagato wrote: »
    Which are the knox apps?
    Can you not just disable them in Application manager?
    Does rooting not disable knox anyway?

Just saw your reply now!

The KNOX apps are easy to find, there's 3 of them and will be grouped together and all have the word KNOX in the title so easy to search for in Titanium Backup. From there, just select the Freeze option on each of them or else just uninstall.

I don't think application manager lets you disable system apps like these.

Rooting MAY cause the flash counter to be permanently set which will void the warranty but KNOX will still work (it did for me anyway). However, I used the tool on http://www.kingoapp.com/ to root my Note 3 and the KNOX flag hasn't been tripped and I can use all my apps that require root access. I have an eMobile/Meteor Note 3 for what it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorted out my 4G data connection.

turns out I didn't have it set up? :confused:

I had wap & mms APN's configured (how the phone came) and for some reason 3G & H+ both work with the WAP APN, but 4G doesn't.

So I set it up manually as per the meteor website instructions and it's working fine now.

Also, I have a feeling that the meteor shop in Blanch has their own mini cell tower to ensure people get the full experience as I was getting full 4G bars standing in the shop doorway, but anywhere else inside and outside around Blanch SC was 1-3 bars. :)

Anyway, here's the speedtest result. :cool:

647404257.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorted out my 4G data connection.

turns out I didn't have it set up? :confused:

I had wap & mms APN's configured (how the phone came) and for some reason 3G & H+ both work with the WAP APN, but 4G doesn't.

So I set it up manually as per the meteor website instructions and it's working fine now.

Also, I have a feeling that the meteor shop in Blanch has their own mini cell tower to ensure people get the full experience as I was getting full 4G bars standing in the shop doorway, but anywhere else inside and outside around Blanch SC was 1-3 bars. :)

Anyway, here's the speedtest result. :cool:

647404257.png

Still nothing for me in Limerick.

I got on to emobile customer service online chat, i explained that i wasnt receiving a 4g signal and is there anywhere i could see the settings online. The best he could do was offer to show me the coverage map TWICE, i swiftly ended the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Hey guys, just got the Note 3 and what a whopper of a phone, absolutely delighted with it!

Surprised to see the lack of custom ROMs, though, what's happening there, is it due to Samsung's security protocols or whatever?

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong subforum on XDA!

Any roms particularly recommended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

Same here dude.

Shag all different afaics, and definitely no 4G/LTE option either.

Dam you three!!!!
    Where's my 4G you bsdtatds :pac:

Thats your problem right there
    Three is NOT the magic number :D
    I would not touch them with a barge pole.
    YMMV.

charlesh wrote: »
    Thats your problem right there
    Three is NOT the magic number :D
    I would not touch them with a barge pole.
    YMMV.
    I found them to be quite good so far, but everytime someone asks them about 4G on Twitter they'll just point you to a page on their website that has no information whatsoever.

On the other hand, Meteor are doing a 30 day SIM for 30 quid with unlimited everything (including 4G), so I'll give them a go as soon as my Three credit is all gone.

And the custom ROM I installed is 4G ready, no waiting for carrier updates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi,

Can somebody who has:
    * The allshare dongle
    * note three
    * rooted note 3

- tell me if dongle works after rooting?
    - tell me if dongle works after flashing something

I was able to bring flash counter to zero with triangle away but I'm not sure if this will work with note 3.
    I'm not talking about knox btw...

Note 2 wouldn't connect to allshare dongle with stuff flashed. I wonder what is the story with the note 3...

Thanks for info.

Hi,

Can somebody who has:
    * The allshare dongle
    * note three
    * rooted note 3

- tell me if dongle works after rooting?
    - tell me if dongle works after flashing something

I was able to bring flash counter to zero with triangle away but I'm not sure if this will work with note 3.
    I'm not talking about knox btw...

Note 2 wouldn't connect to allshare dongle with stuff flashed. I wonder what is the story with the note 3...

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I believe if your status is not official the dongle doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Have seen my battery duration plummet over the past few days since the software update.

With extremely light use on Thursday it managed to consume 85% battery between 6am and 12am. I made no calls at all, sent 4 texts and had a combined 30mins online between facebook and internet browsing. Left WiFi & mobile data on all day with email syncing every hour. Battery statistics say Android OS used 34%.

So now I'm wondering if the constant toggling between 3G & 4G, or seeking out the best signal, is having a huge effect on the battery life?

Anyone any suggestions as battery consumption has shot up, while useage has dropped, so it just doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Top Dog wrote: »
    Have seen my battery duration plummet over the past few days since the software update.

With extremely light use on Thursday it managed to consume 85% battery between 6am and 12am. I made no calls at all, sent 4 texts and had a combined 30mins online between facebook and internet browsing. Left WiFi & mobile data on all day with email syncing every hour. Battery statistics say Android OS used 34%.

So now I'm wondering if the constant toggling between 3G & 4G, or seeking out the best signal, is having a huge effect on the battery life?

Anyone any suggestions as battery consumption has shot up, while useage has dropped, so it just doesn't make sense.

Apple will sue them for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I have some N3 accessories I don't need which I'd be happy to sell to a fellow Boardsie for €25 see http://www.adverts.ie/4230881

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

On the other hand, Meteor are doing a 30 day SIM for 30 quid with unlimited everything (including 4G), so I'll give them a go as soon as my Three credit is all gone.

are you sure it includes 4g ?
    I cant find any mention of that anywhere on meteors site !
    plus their store staff dont appear to know about it either
    They seem to think its ONLY for bill pay customers :confused::confused:

Im out of contract now, on a 30 day rolling one with all my original package parts, but Id be willing to drop the €30 just to test out the 4g !!

MrTrebus wrote: »
    are you sure it includes 4g ?
    I cant find any mention of that anywhere on meteors site !
    plus their store staff dont appear to know about it either
    They seem to think its ONLY for bill pay customers :confused::confused:

Im out of contract now, on a 30 day rolling one with all my original package parts, but Id be willing to drop the €30 just to test out the 4g !!

Check out the first plan here, the Mega Simo 4G:
    https://store.meteor.ie/4G-plans

1 Month SIM contract, unlimited calls and texts and 1 gig of data, but page also says:
    "Get unlimited data with all 4G plans online until March 1st 2014"

Worth a try, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    IM new to this forum, my own phone (nexus) is out of contract this month and I was thinking of either the new nexus, or the note 3. I did a quick search today on google, o2 and vodafone websites and cant find any telco in IReland selling the note 3 phone handset. Is it available in IReland yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    IM new to this forum, my own phone (nexus) is out of contract this month and I was thinking of either the new nexus, or the note 3. I did a quick search today on google, o2 and vodafone websites and cant find any telco in IReland selling the note 3 phone handset. Is it available in IReland yet?
    Got mine on Three two weeks ago. I was also looking at it on meteor and emobile so as far as I know it's readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

Got mine on Three two weeks ago. I was also looking at it on meteor and emobile so as far as I know it's readily available.

you were having problems with your battery - how did you get on with three's customer service?
    i found them appalling - so i switched.
    i would not recommend three to anyone.

the note 3 is available with most telcos today.

charlesh wrote: »
    you were having problems with your battery - how did you get on with three's customer service?
    i found them appalling - so i switched.
    i would not recommend three to anyone.

the note 3 is available with most telcos today.
    I was to fast to jump to conclusions and slam the battery life.
    I was judging it over my first few days of use which were obviously extreme because I couldn't put it down as I was getting to know the device, so as I've gotten back to my regular every day use I find it great.
    For example I plugged it out Saturday morning used it that day, was drowning my sorrows Saturday night at the rugby so forgot to plug it in and after using it all day Sunday i only got a low Battery warning at 11 that night. Amazing compared to my S2.
    So I didn't have to contact three customer care but I have had my fair share of dealings with them over the past two years and I agree they are infuriating.
    But so far so good so fingers crossed.
    One problem I am actually having and I queried it her but got no replies is that i can't manually check for an update.
    I click the check for updates button and nothing happens. Before on my S2 I would get either no updates available or you have the latest update installed but on this nothing?

I just got some update from Samsung (phone from Vodafone). Did you notice anything or this is just bugs fix and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

iwo wrote: »
    I just got some update from Samsung (phone from Vodafone). Did you notice anything or this is just bugs fix and stuff?

Nothing offered here?
    I got the update last week which for other carriers enable 4G along with bugfixes. I still don't have any 4G option though with Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So 3 have offered me an upgrade a galaxy s4 for 89 an iphone 5s for 169 or a note 3 for 129 any advice on this phone lads

Nothing offered here?
    I got the update last week which for other carriers enable 4G along with bugfixes. I still don't have any 4G option though with Vodafone?

Im with Three so can't check. I checked mobile data and other settings and didn't notice any 4g/lte names etc...

So 3 have offered me an upgrade a galaxy s4 for 89 an iphone 5s for 169 or a note 3 for 129 any advice on this phone lads

You coming from ios or Android world?
    Phone is great. If you can accept its size then i wouldn't think twice.
    Check you tube for note 3 vs iphone 5. It's there in details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

So over a month with the phone and having changed from Iphone I have to say that I am pleased in the main. The battery is far superior but there are certainly a number of quirks which can be annoying.

Chief among them is my ongoing issue with folders. Anytime I create a folder and move the apps into it, all is well for a few days and then suddenly the apps are back in the main menu and the folder is empty again. This is only happening with folders I create. The ones that came with the phone such as the Samsung folder or the Google folder always remain fine. Maybe it might be when the apps update but I am baffled.

The other issues generally relate to the quality of the apps in the Android environment - I get the feeling that most are optimised for IOS. For instance, Facebook works ok if I am looking at my own timeline but it won't load any groups or events that I am subscribed to.

RTE Player loads initially but then gives an error when I try to access a particular programme.

The Heineken Cup app us dreadful and rarely loads correctly.

And I still haven't figured out how the gallery organises itself - I get photos from 3 years ago first sometimes and other times it loads in date order!!

Anyone found any apps that work well on Note 3. I have just downloaded Ambient Temperature and Humidity which seems to work really well, and at least makes use of the thermometer and hygrometer sensors. I am just running a test against the digital thermometer/hygrometer I bought last week.
    rsz_screenshot_2013-11-21-12-17-19.png
    rsz_screenshot_2013-11-21-12-17-44.png
    For Comparison (most of the difference as you can see on the graphs occured during the 2mins I was trying to get the screenshot to capture):
    2013-11-21%2012.28.22.jpg

I am particularly interested in a good all in one remote app. I spent about €7 of my samsung app store voucher on 'smart remote for galaxy S4' (I know the title suggest for S4, but it is the same app as smart remote on the play store, which I am told is installed on my phone when I visit the app on the play store). Anyways I am going to email the developer, as from reviews it seems that other people have gotten this fixed and will let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

I am particularly interested in a good all in one remote app. I spent about €7 of my samsung app store voucher on 'smart remote for galaxy S4' (I know the title suggest for S4, but it is the same app as smart remote on the play store, which I am told is installed on my phone when I visit the app on the play store). Anyways I am going to email the developer, as from reviews it seems that other people have gotten this fixed and will let you know how I get on.

Just to follow up on this. It is not very clear from my post, but wasn't able to get that remote app working. I emailed the developer and they replied within 11mins with an updated .apk and license key! Works really well now, and am really impressed with the support, the problem has been the Samsung App store delaying their updates.
    So I would highly recommend the smart remote app. I would never spend €7 on an app and only did because of the voucher, but it's a damn sight cheaper than buying a logitech harmony remote to control my HE set up.

Just to follow up on this. It is not very clear from my post, but wasn't able to get that remote app working. I emailed the developer and they replied within 11mins with an updated .apk and license key! Works really well now, and am really impressed with the support, the problem has been the Samsung App store delaying their updates.
    So I would highly recommend the smart remote app. I would never spend €7 on an app and only did because of the voucher, but it's a damn sight cheaper than buying a logitech harmony remote to control my HE set up.
    It's got shocking reviews so I'll hold onto my €7. Anyway what's wrong with the watchon remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Got the firmware update yesterday which adds LTE/4G access to my network options (Vodafone) - however nothing down this direction (Tramore) !!!

Only other change I can see id that the keyboard appears different!!

It's got shocking reviews so I'll hold onto my €7. Anyway what's wrong with the watchon remote?

The shocking reviews are on the Samsung App Store, because the version that is available is essentially not compatible with the Note 3. I bought the the Samsung store to use my voucher. The version I was emailed works very well.

The Watchon remote is ok I guess, there are a few things that I find annoying with it:
    Has to be connected to the internet all the time. It does not have enough buttons on it to usefully use my AV Receiver, it will switch on my projector, but will not switch it off. I do like the way you can put it into the drop down notification panel though.

If the WatchOn remote is working well for you, obviously do not spend money on another remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Got mine today...Android 4.3 / BBand:N9005XXUBMI6 / Kernel:3.4.0-1628120
    Don't have / see any of the past listed here issues !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

Got mine today...Android 4.3 / BBand:N9005XXUBMI6 / Kernel:3.4.0-1628120
    Don't have / see any of the past listed here issues !

Yep you are lucky to escape the main issues of late because there were issues with Google Services running 'amuck' on this device and others on 4.3+ and what seemed to be the 'Knox issue message verification' which persisted unless you hit the remind me in 30 days. Anyway Samsung so far have fixed the latter and today i have had a play store app update that has fixed the former. So all in all battery life has resumed to normal which means getting about or nearly 2 days with very moderate use. My build number etc. is different because it was a German bought model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got my Note 3 on Saturday. So far seems a nice improvement coming from Note 2, a tiny one coming from the S4 (bar the bigger screen its the same).

One thing disappointed so far is the speaker. Note 2 seems to have a far better speaker with richer tones and bass.

Otherwise I wont comment on the battery life till I finish messing with it and let battery life settle to its normal pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is it my imagination, or is flash working on this device?

I'm able to play u tube videos on boards no problem (ie it plays directly on browser in the mini screen)

Is it my imagination, or is flash working on this device?

I'm able to play u tube videos on boards no problem (ie it plays directly on browser in the mini screen)

There might be a more accurate way to put this together but most videos are embedded in html5 which works fine.

So..... Rooting? How hard is it for a complete idiot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

So..... Rooting? How hard is it for a complete idiot?

First I will say I have not rooted my Note 3 (but have done every other Android device I have owned) but this video makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCH0gmRT0A

Another option..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2466423

As with everything like this...be careful! I've never had a single problem rooting my phones and tablets, installing custom ROMs etc but then I am very ocd about reading and following instructions.
    Rooting your phone CAN cause it to become unusable.

A question...why do you want to root your Note ?

Ionised wrote: »
    First I will say I have not rooted my Note 3 (but have done every other Android device I have owned) but this video makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCH0gmRT0A

Another option..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2466423

As with everything like this...be careful! I've never had a single problem rooting my phones and tablets, installing custom ROMs etc but then I am very ocd about reading and following instructions.
    Rooting your phone CAN cause it to become unusable.

A question...why do you want to root your Note ?

I have a hard drive full of movies (3tb) that can't be read by the phone. If I root I can install an app that will allow the phone to read ntfs, my laptop is crap so I'm trying to completely negate the need to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I have a hard drive full of movies (3tb) that can't be read by the phone. If I root I can install an app that will allow the phone to read ntfs, my laptop is crap so I'm trying to completely negate the need to use it.

I have a network drive with my movies / music and BSplayer can stream from it over the wireless network, if thats any help.

Ah...I had a similar issue with my Note 2 and ended up rooting that (and then playing with a multitude of custom ROMs) in order to install stickmount.

I haven't rooted the NOte 3 yet (too busy messing around with my Nexus 10 still) but I have no doubt I will in the near future.

Let me know how you get on and what method you use.

Ah...I had a similar issue with my Note 2 and ended up rooting that (and then playing with a multitude of custom ROMs) in order to install stickmount.

I haven't rooted the NOte 3 yet (too busy messing around with my Nexus 10 still) but I have no doubt I will in the near future.

Let me know how you get on and what method you use.

I'm probably gonna use that Kingo method, despite the imei number issues.

• Advertisement

markad1 wrote: »
    I have a network drive with my movies / music and BSplayer can stream from it over the wireless network, if thats any help.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to computers etc.

What I am trying to achieve sounds simple

External HDD connected to note 3 through an OTG cable
    Read the files from the HDD through the phone
    Copy the movies I want to watch to the phone memory
    Stream to ps3 using Skifta.

Whether or not it's simple is another matter

I'm completely clueless when it comes to computers etc.

What I am trying to achieve sounds simple

External HDD connected to note 3 through an OTG cable
    Read the files from the HDD through the phone
    Copy the movies I want to watch to the phone memory
    Stream to ps3 using Skifta.

Whether or not it's simple is another matter

Why not use Airdroid to copy the files? It will save the hassle and risk of rooting.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

Why not use Airdroid to copy the files? It will save the hassle and risk of rooting.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

My laptop is ancient, I think it's 7 years old. I'll give this a go though

My laptop is ancient, I think it's 7 years old. I'll give this a go though

Just uses the browser on your lappie so I'd say it should cope ok

Would a raspberry pi work for you -for €30-40 instead of rooting your phone -if that is the only reason you are rooting.

Just looking up how to do that -looks quite complicated :confused:

Just uses the browser on your lappie so I'd say it should cope ok

Very very slow transfer times, considering I am on 100mb BB.

Very very slow transfer times, considering I am on 100mb BB.

Nothing to do with your bb speed. Its the router that's giving you slow transfer rate. Cable is always faster

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Anyone suffering from a problem with the Note 3 freezing and then rebooting? Has been happening me a few times in the last few days.

I bought mine sim free on amazon. I have seen carrier updates mentioned on here so I am wondering if I should be getting an update direct from Samsung? Current build is JSS15J.N9005XXUBMJ1

lemeister wrote: »
    Anyone suffering from a problem with the Note 3 freezing and then rebooting? Has been happening me a few times in the last few days.

I bought mine sim free on amazon. I have seen carrier updates mentioned on here so I am wondering if I should be getting an update direct from Samsung? Current build is JSS15J.N9005XXUBMJ1

Latest Firmware is MJ7 as far as I am aware, have you downloaded Kies and checked for firmware update with that?

• Advertisement

lemeister wrote: »

No frezzing here. I have a three branded N3 on UDMJ4.

I did receive an update OTA the minute I turned it on though.

Try starting the phone in safe mode and use it that way for a while, wouldn't be surprised if it was a rouge app.

Plenty apps out there that can cause chaos. Especially freemium games.

Advertisement