Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Is it worth getting the LTE version? Out of a choice of the 16gb LTE or the 32gb non Lte which would you choose. Non LTE is 20 euro cheaper.

lte version is better equipped(for example better processor) ... Check google for comparison between them.

Internal Storage is nothing as you can get sd card cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Well guys.

I ended up meeting some guy last night and buying a brand new note3 from him, it was in a sealed box, which I witnessed him open, (yes plastic wrapper and everything) and put in sim etc. Phone had still all the plastic covering on the screen, up the side, covering headphone jacks etc. In short, it definitley was brand new, and had never been opened before last night, of that I am satisfied.

It was a phone from VF, complete with receipt.

I popped my sim in, and it didnt ask for unlock code, but the fella had an unlock code written on the receipt which he got from VF.

The phone has been grand, had a strange problem yesterday, in that everytime I pressed the letter 'S' on the keyboard, 2 x S's would appear, so school would become sschool etc, no big deal.

However, I have made the phone my own tonight, installed aviate, whatsapp, viber, hullomail, AIB app, (basically nothing dodgy) but the phone has started to go a bit mental on me.

I first noticed today, that when using it to brose, the slightest touch of the screen would make it zoom in or out randomly, but then later this evening it went mad altogether. Its like the phone is posessed, randomly switching screens through avaiate, scrolling up and down etc.

The phone did download a firmware upgrade last night, and the current satus is :

version 4.3
    baseband N9005xxudmj4
    kernel 3.4.0-1937874
    bulid number jss15j.n9005xxudmj6

I'm considering downloading an official 3 Ireland firmware and seeing if this helps (as I'm with 3, but the phone is VF branded) or alternatively, rooting and throwing on a custom ROM.

Apart from doing this, has anyone any ideas or suggestions? I just hope I havent bought myself a dud phone. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

You have the same firmware/baseband etc as myself. Bought mine direct from Vodafone.

From your description it sounds like these problems started AFTER you installed a heap of apps. Try uninstalling all of them to see if this cures your issues..if so then just install one at a time until you find the dodgy one.

If I was to guess I'd say Aviate might be the issue as it's still in beta...have you checked their support forums (I imagine they have one) to see if anyone else has been having issues ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Do a full phone factory data reset.
    Take off the sdcard, use it few days without any applications.
    Don't use any backup/restore apps process either.

Good luck.

Ionised wrote: »
    You have the same firmware/baseband etc as myself. Bought mine direct from Vodafone.

From your description it sounds like these problems started AFTER you installed a heap of apps. Try uninstalling all of them to see if this cures your issues..if so then just install one at a time until you find the dodgy one.

If I was to guess I'd say Aviate might be the issue as it's still in beta...have you checked their support forums (I imagine they have one) to see if anyone else has been having issues ?

I had aviate running on my old note 3 for 6 weeks or so with zero problems tbh.
    But in saying that, I've just did a clear cache /data on aviate and things have improved abit. Still getting the double ss problem though.

Odd indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well guys.

I ended up meeting some guy last night and buying a brand new note3 from him, it was in a sealed box, which I witnessed him open, (yes plastic wrapper and everything)

As far as I'm aware they don't come with a plastic wrapper. They have a small sticker that you rip. I could be wrong as I don't have a note 3 but I remember reading on here before with older phones people used to say people were selling phones on adverts as brand new but had heat shrinked a plastic wrapper around box to make it look brand new.

As far as I'm aware they don't come with a plastic wrapper. They have a small sticker that you rip. I could be wrong as I don't have a note 3 but I remember reading on here before with older phones people used to say people were selling phones on adverts as brand new but had heat shrinked a plastic wrapper around box to make it look brand new.

Sorry, to be clear, I meant plastic wrapper on phone, up the front/sides etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

No offence here but sometime people get the phone in contract, pay upfront for a month or two then stop paying at all.
    You having the phone as been under contract with the supplier, may risk to end up with a locked / dead phone.
    I had it checked up with O2 before buying from a third party and even here on Boards, they confirmed the story...

If I'll be you, before "root-ing" I'll go and check with Vodafone, as the phone is completely covered by manufacturer warranty doubled by the receipt !

Regards

rolion wrote: »
    No offence here but sometime people get the phone in contract, pay upfront for a month or two then stop paying at all.
    You having the phone as been under contract with the supplier, may risk to end up with a locked / dead phone.
    I had it checked up with O2 before buying from a third party and even here on Boards, they confirmed the story...

If I'll be you, before "root-ing" I'll go and check with Vodafone, as the phone is completely covered by manufacturer warranty doubled by the receipt !

Regards

Hi. How do you mean?

Are you saying to take phone back to VF now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hi. How do you mean?

Are you saying to take phone back to VF now?

I think he's saying it might be worth ringing to check that Vodafone don't actually own the phone before you physically hand it to them, but provided that they don't it should be under warranty.

Uninstalled a few Vodafone apps and phone flying along.

Think I'll Flash either a 3 branded firmware, or rooted non bloated stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Finally after 10 days straight working, i got a chance to sit down and root my phone. Followed a simple video on Youtube and all done :)

Now i just need to see if it will allow me to do what i rooted for in the first place.

Finally after 10 days straight working, i got a chance to sit down and root my phone. Followed a simple video on Youtube and all done :)

Now i just need to see if it will allow me to do what i rooted for in the first place

Which is............:confused:

Which is............:confused:

Attach my external hd and let it allow me to view the movies that are on it. No joy so far.

Attach my external hd and let it allow me to view the movies that are on it. No joy so far.

Ah. Thought you were maybe like myself. Looking to try and enable lte/4G.

I know I'll not be able to latch on to it (on 3) but would like to try and suss out its coverage potential.

• Advertisement

Ah. Thought you were maybe like myself. Looking to try and enable lte/4G.

I know I'll not be able to latch on to it (on 3) but would like to try and suss out its coverage potential.

Nope, I have 4g already with emobile. It's amazing :)

Actually while I'm here and now that I'm rooted, when will I be able to get KitKat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You don't need to root in order to be able to see movies from your HDD. The HDD must be formatted correctly in order for your phone to see it.

I think you might be able to do so by flashing a custom kernel, but in my own experience custom kernels are messy most of the times.

I've messed up my S4 trying to do the same thing your trying to do.

Only thing I find rooting useful for these days is ad block and backup apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

You don't need to root in order to be able to see movies from your HDD. The HDD must be formatted correctly in order for your phone to see it.

I think you might be able to do so by flashing a custom kernel, but in my own experience custom kernels are messy most of the times.

I've messed up my S4 trying to do the same thing your trying to do.

Only thing I find rooting useful for these days is ad block and backup apps.

Why don't you just stream from external HDD with xbmc?

(Xbmc on PC) yatse stream on phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

my note 3 has just died on me.

it had 20% left on the battery but its just not turning on.

Ive taken the battery out and its been charging for the last 40 minutes now but still nothing.

Its still under warranty so ill just get a new one, but has this happened to anybody else?

my note 3 has just died on me.

it had 20% left on the battery but its just not turning on.

Ive taken the battery out and its been charging for the last 40 minutes now but still nothing.

Its still under warranty so ill just get a new one, but has this happened to anybody else?

These modern batteries can be a bit funny sometimes. To make sure it's knackered charge it overnight then hold down the on button for at least 30 seconds. If still nothing then it's warrenty time!

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Why don't you just stream from external HDD with xbmc?

(Xbmc on PC) yatse stream on phone.

I don't like leaving the PC for no reason. Plus the wireless router isnt fast enough to stream HD movies, never mind transferring them over WiFi.

I just wanted to be able to transfer the odd movie from and to the phone to the HDD.

You may need to root as I will assume your external drive is NTFS formatted. You need root to install stickmount to read an NTFS drive (unless things have moved on from the last time I needed to do this).

You may need to root as I will assume your external drive is NTFS formatted. You need root to install stickmount to read an NTFS drive (unless things have moved on from the last time I needed to do this).

Stick mount is not working for me unfortunately, maybe the other guy can get it working though.

Has anybody noticed how rubbish the camera is? My s3 was always excellent but I just don't like the camera on the note at all, the pictures are always poor quality when I take them indoors, very bloory and just poor quality. Is it just mine?

When I look at the camera at the back of the phone, it seems to be sitting slightly crooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anyone else find that MMS messages are broken since the 4G update rolled out?

I double checked the settings with meteor over the phone and everything looks good, but I can't send or receive MMS messages at all. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

vibe666 wrote: »
    Anyone else find that MMS messages are broken since the 4G update rolled out?

I double checked the settings with meteor over the phone, and everything looks good, but I can't send or receive MMS messages at all. :(

Are you using the Hangouts app to handle the MMS/SMS?
    A lot of people are complaining that Hangouts doesn't handle MMS properly.
    I had a problem where the MMS(eses?) wouldn't download at all through Hangouts, was driving me bonkers.

Then I went back to the Messaging app to handle them and presto, no more problems, everything coming through nicely!

Has anybody noticed how rubbish the camera is? My s3 was always excellent but I just don't like the camera on the note at all, the pictures are always poor quality when I take them indoors, very bloory and just poor quality. Is it just mine?

When I look at the camera at the back of the phone, it seems to be sitting slightly crooked.

All good here. The camera does lack some saturation, but no different from the S4. Only thing that annoys me is the low field of view. Also make sure that auto night mode isn't on. In most cases night mode just makes pictures look worse.

Then again its no Nokia Lumia.

Are you using the Hangouts app to handle the MMS/SMS?
    A lot of people are complaining that Hangouts doesn't handle MMS properly.
    I had a problem where the MMS(eses?) wouldn't download at all through Hangouts, was driving me bonkers.

Then I went back to the Messaging app to handle them and presto, no more problems, everything coming through nicely!
    no, normally handsent sms our the stock app, but both are failing to send or receive MMS messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

I was thinking about ordering the note 3. Anyone ever hear or order from this website? http://eglobalcentral.eu/samsung-galaxy-note-3-n9000-3g-32gb-sim-free-unlocked-classic-white.html

vibe666 wrote: »
    no, normally handsent sms our the stock app, but both are failing to send or receive MMS messages.

Stupid question maybe, are you trying over wifi or 3/4g?

• Advertisement

leemaree wrote: »
    I was thinking about ordering the note 3. Anyone ever hear or order from this website? http://eglobalcentral.eu/samsung-galaxy-note-3-n9000-3g-32gb-sim-free-unlocked-classic-white.html

I have no experience of that site...but I'd be dubious just based on it's name. It's probably fine...it just sounds like a generic scam site :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

can I ask if anybody has bought the new Note3 is happy with it as a business user?

banjobongo wrote: »
    can I ask if anybody has bought the new Note3 is happy with it as a business user?

Mine is primarily used in my job and it does everything I have asked of it. Great battery life. Bluetooth excellent when I'm on the road. No issues with synching calendars. Only thing I haven't needed is to access any kind of corporate email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

banjobongo wrote: »

Yep, good for business. Big screen mean lots to look at. Great battery life easily lasts whole day.

Stupid question maybe, are you trying over wifi or 3/4g?
    3G.

worked perfectly until the 4G update.

i had to create a new APN when the 4G came out as I only had WAP & MMS set up (and the WAP settings still seemed to work for 3G data, but not 4G).

I didn't change anything in the MMS settings or the WAP ones, I just added a new data APN using the settings on the meteor website and 4G data started working properly straight away then.

my old settings were still working for everything when there was no 4G signal, but the minute i was in range of a 4G mast and it connected, all my data connections (except the speedtest.net app, oddly) disconnected.

once i'd added the data settings 4G worked fine, but MMS sending and receiving stopped working. i've tried deleting the old WAP APN just in case that was causing something to fail, but it made no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guy's,

I've a spare battery, desktop charger and a bumper case I don't need as I ended up having a row with Vodafone and am going to run down my contract next year before switching network and buying a new phone (I jumped the gun when they told me I was due an upgrade :o ) so if anyone wants to pimp their N3 these will do the trick for ya!

See http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/accessories-for-a-samsung-note-3/4230881

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

just got a notification of an update ... vodafone network

stock rom .. says its a 94mb update .. after the embarrassment with the s3 jellybean update im a bit wary of updating .. anyone else get this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I don't like leaving the PC for no reason. Plus the wireless router isnt fast enough to stream HD movies, never mind transferring them over WiFi.

I just wanted to be able to transfer the odd movie from and to the phone to the HDD.

It works super for me. How about ftp transfer?

So anyone else out there getting their 4G? I called VF other day and changed my business plan to a 5GB option. Now getting 4G signal much of the time - coverage a little sketchy though. Didn't need new SIM.

Think battery life may be slightly less, since LTE upgrade, but still easily getting full day out of it.

• Advertisement

So anyone else out there getting their 4G? I called VF other day and changed my business plan to a 5GB option. Now getting 4G signal much of the time - coverage a little sketchy though. Didn't need new SIM.

Think battery life may be slightly less, since LTE upgrade, but still easily getting full day out of it.

Thanks for the info. Awaiting my plan to change to include 4g (thanks to a balls up by Vodafone). Good to get confirmation of no new sim needed...the rep I spoke to insisted a new one was needed.

Thanks for the info. Awaiting my plan to change to include 4g (thanks to a balls up by Vodafone). Good to get confirmation of no new sim needed...the rep I spoke to insisted a new one was needed.

Think I may have got new SIM last year when I got an S3 but definitely nothing new in last 12 months. When I called thru they reckoned no need for new SIM but was not guaranteed. Was happy to see 4G. Coverage not the best on - only see it occasionally so I think this will have some battery drain as it hops around speeds.

Hope you get sorted. FYI did get option of 10GB plan for €40 but did'nt bother as I thought it may be taking the mick out of work bill a bit too much.. cannot see myself using 5GB; but do plan on using Sky Go a little more now:D

Think I may have got new SIM last year when I got an S3 but definitely nothing new in last 12 months. When I called thru they reckoned no need for new SIM but was not guaranteed. Was happy to see 4G. Coverage not the best on - only see it occasionally so I think this will have some battery drain as it hops around speeds.

Hope you get sorted. FYI did get option of 10GB plan for €40 but did'nt bother as I thought it may be taking the mick out of work bill a bit too much.. cannot see myself using 5GB; but do plan on using Sky Go a little more now:D

Thanks for the info.
    I'm mostly connected to wifi. I can see myself using bluetooth music streaming in the car more maybe (finally properly use those 20,000 tracks I uploaded to Google Music).
    Be handy for a little Netflix in work too ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hey guys anyone looking for a tough case for their baby I'm selling one of these, just PM me if interested.
    I ordered one of these and the tougher kraken ams from the states to see which one I preferred and for my line of work I need the ams but the cyclops is still a serious bit of gear.

Hey guys anyone looking for a tough case for their baby I'm selling one of these, just PM me if interested.
    I ordered one of these and the tougher kraken ams from the states to see which one I preferred and for my line of work I need the ams but the cyclops is still a serious bit of gear.

The lime green is subtle!
    Pity this wasn't two weeks ago, before I got a Seiko case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

The lime green is subtle!
    Pity this wasn't two weeks ago, before I got a Seiko case.
    That's the only colour he had at the time. Anyone that saw it actually preferred it to my all black ams.
    Never heard of seiko cases.
    Not seidio no?

• Advertisement

That's the only colour he had at the time. Anyone that saw it actually preferred it to my all black ams.
    Never heard of seiko cases.
    Not seidio no?

Damn autocorrect! Seidio of course :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I see on the Newstalk website, on the Hook Show, the NOte 3 is currently leaeding the vote for the tech gadget of the year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Anyone else find their battery life significantly worse since the 4G update on Vodafone? In Galway and the phone has yet to connect to 4G even though I'm set to auto connect for LTE. Just wondering if anyone else found a change in their battery life lately as I'm considering just leaving 4G turned off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I am just setting up my new note 3. How exactly do i set a default browser? What is the current default browser?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I am just setting up my new note 3. How exactly do i set a default browser? What is the current default browser?

• Advertisement
Advertisement