Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Default is Chrome if memory serves. If you have more than one installed (I personally like Firefox) when you open a web link it will ask which to use and you can set it to always use this one. You can go to settings, apps and you can reset the default for each browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Ionised wrote: »
    Damn autocorrect! Seidio of course :-)

(slightly off topic.....)
    Frankly Autocorrect, Im getting a bit tired of your shirt....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

A few questions related to using Daydream on a Note 3 -

(1) Is there any fear of screen burn-in by having this on for hours? E.g. all night.
    (2) Is it bad to leave the phone plugged in long after it's charged?
    (3) What Daydream apps/widgets do people like? So far I'm liking DashClock for a night clock
    (4) Any hacks for making DIY docks for bedside lockers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If I recall correctly are vouchers for the Samsung App Store expire tomorrow. Still have about €15 to spend, any ideas, preferably not a game, I'd be more interested in tools/utilities/widgets.

For anybody who has the new Note, a quick question - is there a setting on the phone whereby you can turn off all alerts (eg text, emails) but have the phone call sound still active, so that the user can have the phone left on in case a phone call happens, but not have to be bothered by the sound of the text alerts?
    (My current phone is the Galaxy Nexus and I dont think its possible on this handset....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Zagato wrote: »
    If I recall correctly are vouchers for the Samsung App Store expire tomorrow. Still have about €15 to spend, any ideas, preferably not a game, I'd be more interested in tools/utilities/widgets.

I'd forgotten about the credit - thanks for the reminder.
    Just checked it now & mine expires on 31/01/14 so expiry might depend on when you set up the samsung store?

banjobongo wrote: »
    For anybody who has the new Note, a quick question - is there a setting on the phone whereby you can turn off all alerts (eg text, emails) but have the phone call sound still active, so that the user can have the phone left on in case a phone call happens, but not have to be bothered by the sound of the text alerts?
    (My current phone is the Galaxy Nexus and I dont think its possible on this handset....)

Note 3 (and 2 if memory serves) has Blocking Mode. You can set to allow only certain alerts to sound, even down to individual contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd forgotten about the credit - thanks for the reminder.
    Just checked it now & mine expires on 31/01/14 so expiry might depend on when you set up the samsung store?

I just got a note 3 where do you avail of these vouchers ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I just got a note 3 where do you avail of these vouchers ?

The first 3000 handsets sold in the country were able to register for €30 in credit to use in the Samsung hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Note 3 (and 2 if memory serves) has Blocking Mode. You can set to allow only certain alerts to sound, even down to individual contacts.
    yep, use it myself. turned off notifications for everything except calls from 11pm to 6am so i don't get insomniacs waking me up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

The first 3000 handsets sold in the country were able to register for €30 in credit to use in the Samsung hub.

How do you know if you are in/out of this offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

bogman wrote: »
    How do you know if you are in/out of this offer?

Think I got an email about that, then you click on a link and redeem it. There's really **** all use for it. Mine expires at the end of January.

Bought a couple of games. Still wondering on what to get for the rest of it before it expires.

I presume that as its a new handset and as its a very big handset, that its not really an option to go for a run and use an app to monitor your run, as there are no straps etc yet on the market for the phone and its too large/heavy anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I presume that as its a new handset and as its a very big handset, that its not really an option to go for a run and use an app to monitor your run, as there are no straps etc yet on the market for the phone and its too large/heavy anyway?

I use the samsung Fitness app that comes with the phone to monitor my running while i got a strap for it from amazon a few months ago i dont find it heavy when running just a little big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks for tip re credit.. didn't know it expired. Only ever bought TuneInPro and notice that only occasionally are decent apps available.

Got Runtastic Pro this morning.. 1st of Jan and all that:D - When I go to get Shazam it won't let me use the credit. Something about not allowing gift voucher for the purchase.. same when I tried to get a French translating app.. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks for tip re credit.. didn't know it expired. Only ever bought TuneInPro and notice that only occasionally are decent apps available.

Got Runtastic Pro this morning.. 1st of Jan and all that:D - When I go to get Shazam it won't let me use the credit. Something about not allowing gift voucher for the purchase.. same when I tried to get a French translating app.. Anyone else seen this?

Do note you can also use the voucher to buy or rent movies from their store too. I bought two movies just to kill of the balance before it expires and a handful of apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

Hi,
    I'm due an upgrade from a Galaxy Nexus and I reckon I'm going to go with this phone. However I'm looking to pay as little as possible for the phone + monthly fee as I'm a very light user of phone+data. Does anyone know if there anything cheaper than going with Vodafone (€199 for phone, €35 per month, 24 month contract)?

Thanks

purethick wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm due an upgrade from a Galaxy Nexus and I reckon I'm going to go with this phone. However I'm looking to pay as little as possible for the phone + monthly fee as I'm a very light user of phone+data. Does anyone know if there anything cheaper than going with Vodafone (€199 for phone, €35 per month, 24 month contract)?

Thanks
    Sorry I should have also said that I've had a quick look on the o2/meteor/three/emobile sites as well but nothing is jumping out.... just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks up their sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

purethick wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

did you look at eMobile's pricing?

wernstrom! wrote: »
    did you look at eMobile's pricing?

I did. €569 for the phone! Ouch.

Ended up getting phone from Vodafone as I would have had to wait nearly 30 days until my bill pay period ended before I could switch provider. And I needed the phone sooner than that. (I actually did have a genuine need for it as well!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Does anyone here experience a buzzing sound from their note 3? Last night it was so bad i had to switch of the phone so that i could get to sleep. I thought at first it might be the charger but when i disconnected it the buzzing sound continued. The buzzing is intermittent.

restive wrote: »
    Does anyone here experience a buzzing sound from their note 3? Last night it was so bad i had to switch of the phone so that i could get to sleep. I thought at first it might be the charger but when i disconnected it the buzzing sound continued. The buzzing is intermittent.

My charger can be a bit buzzy (though I don't use it anymore...wireless charging FTW!)
    Other than that silent. Reboot and see if it returns.
    If it continues I'd be getting it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

What colours did ye get yer new Note's in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'm probably going to buy one of these in the next few weeks. Can anyone recommend a good case?

• Advertisement

I'm probably going to buy one of these in the next few weeks. Can anyone recommend a good case?

I have a Spigen NeoHybrid. Seems a good balance between protection and size.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171123875290

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I'm actually trying To sell a trident cyclops. I ordered one of them and a trident kraken ams and in my line of work I need the ams which is a bit overkill really so I still have the cyclops in its box. Pm me if your interested.

Got my wireless charging receiver of Amazon. While the charging pad came a week before that. The QI receiver is only rated for 600ma rate, so useless for a trickle charge, but should be sufficient for an overnight charge, especially seeing as i mostly go to bed with 20-40% most nights left.

Ill have to look into glueing the receiver onto the back of the battery cover, most lads on XDA have done it and it works a treat.

Got my wireless charging receiver of Amazon. While the charging pad came a week before that. The QI receiver is only rated for 600ma rate, so useless for a trickle charge, but should be sufficient for an overnight charge, especially seeing as i mostly go to bed with 20-40% most nights left.

Ill have to look into glueing the receiver onto the back of the battery cover, most lads on XDA have done it and it works a treat.

I got the receiver and charger off Ebay (separate sellers). I have been suprised how quickly it charges to be honest...and that's through a Spigen case.
    From 50% charge it goes to full in a couple of hours.
    The receiver I got had a sticky pad that attached to the batttery pretty securely.
    I had one for my Note 2 previously and it was woeful!

I have a Spigen NeoHybrid. Seems a good balance between protection and size.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171123875290
    I'm actually trying To sell a trident cyclops. I ordered one of them and a trident kraken ams and in my line of work I need the ams which is a bit overkill really so I still have the cyclops in its box. Pm me if your interested.

Thanks lads. I'll bear those in mind. I work as a van driver though, lugging boxes around all day. My phone takes a bit of a bettering, even in my pocket. I'm edging towards a case that covers both front and back - one of the s-view cases. Although I'm a bit afraid they will be too clunky and awkward. A phone with a few scratches on the screen is probably less of a pain in the ass than a pristine phone that is awkward to use.
    Has anyone used this? If so, would ye recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Thanks lads. I'll bear those in mind. I work as a van driver though, lugging boxes around all day. My phone takes a bit of a bettering, even in my pocket. I'm edging towards a case that covers both front and back - one of the s-view cases. Although I'm a bit afraid they will be too clunky and awkward. A phone with a few scratches on the screen is probably less of a pain in the ass than a pristine phone that is awkward to use.
    Has anyone used this? If so, would ye recommend?
    The cyclops in shifting isn't overly bulky it's quite tidy actually. And I'm not just saying that cause I'm selling it.
    It Also has an in built screen protector. Not one of those flimsy self adhesive ones.

I got the receiver and charger off Ebay (separate sellers). I have been suprised how quickly it charges to be honest...and that's through a Spigen case.
    From 50% charge it goes to full in a couple of hours.
    The receiver I got had a sticky pad that attached to the battery pretty securely.
    I had one for my Note 2 previously and it was woeful!

Well as far as charging goes (my estimates could be wrong) but the standard Samsung charger goes from 15-100 in about 2 hours.

So as the previous statement goes, it will do for charging at night, but quick trickle charges will have to go to the plug in. I got a Zens Qi Wireless Charging Plate off amazon. Got it based on reviews, also has to charging coils so its very easy placement as you dont need to hassle with aligning it in a specific way.

Then just got a 10 euro receiver for the phone off ebay. Tried it last night. Works great. Just didnt get to charge it yet. As above, wanted to charge up my phone quick for use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just have to wait for Vodafone to add all their bloatware to it and we'll be golden :D

Just pray they make less of a mess than with the recent S3 update.

So had a bit of a fight with the wireless charger the other night. Put the thing down, light comes on, shows its charging.

I go: This is great. Goes to bed...

5 minutes later....

Hear my phone starting to buzz indicating it just started charging. So had to mess around for 5 minutes trying to place the phone the right way so it would constantly charge. Made damn sure my backup alarm clock was on anyway in worst case scenario :) Anyway all ended well and woke up with a 100% on the battery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

Does anyone know if your note 3 is locked to o2 on their o2i branded ROM can you flash the UK BTU unbranded ROM?

Fiddlex wrote: »
    Does anyone know if your note 3 is locked to o2 on their o2i branded ROM can you flash the UK BTU unbranded ROM?

you can flash the BTU

mine was branded to three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Ive been used to iphones for the past 5 years and just got the note 3 for a change. Whats the story with downloading apps. What comes up is a disclaimer agreement for downloading apps saying that they will monitor, record and time my phone calls. Whats that about? I only want to download tekken and a few other non descript apps. I dont fancy some dude in timbuktu monitoring and recording my ph calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Has the UK BTU 4.4 rom been released yet? I didn't see it listed.

having dome some research I have decided to go for the Note 3 as my new phone. Im with Vodafone and the most suitable package for my needs would mean a monthly phone bill of circa 50 - 55e and the handset cost would be 50e.
    Before I buy the phone from Vodafone, can I buy it from the likes of O2, 3 etc in Ireland, on a bill pay basis?

• Advertisement

having dome some research I have decided to go for the Note 3 as my new phone. Im with Vodafone and the most suitable package for my needs would mean a monthly phone bill of circa 50 - 55e and the handset cost would be 50e.
    Before I buy the phone from Vodafone, can I buy it from the likes of O2, 3 etc in Ireland, on a bill pay basis?

O2 Meteor and Three all carry the Note 3. Haven't got time to check what deals they are doing so might be worth shopping around.

I'll be getting mine with 3. €149 for the handset on a €40 per month package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

^^^ is that not 139 with 3. Thats what i got last week.

Just after flashing the 4.4 update onto my note. Have to say the speed increase so far is welcome. I'll see what the battery life is like tomorrow.

Just after flashing the 4.4 update onto my note. Have to say the speed increase so far is welcome. I'll see what the battery life is like tomorrow.

did you flash the polish 4.4.2 that's on sammobile?

what was your previous, original rom or flashed as well?

assuming you didn't previously have it, did you get a new LTE option in Network or does that still depend on a software push from the network?

just wondering if it's worth flashing my three, now unbranded, 4.3 note or just wait til 27th Jan for the LTE update?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I'm on 4.3 O2
    I put a vodafone sim card in today and the LTE option showed up in the network part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

How do i know if i have a 4G sim card? I last changed my sim november 2012 when i upgraded to note 2. Now i have a note 3. I am not in a 4G area.

did you flash the polish 4.4.2 that's on sammobile?

what was your previous, original rom or flashed as well?

assuming you didn't previously have it, did you get a new LTE option in Network or does that still depend on a software push from the network?

just wondering if it's worth flashing my three, now unbranded, 4.3 note or just wait til 27th Jan for the LTE update?

I was on a custom room before and didn't have LTE option then. Do now, but three has no LTE yet so don't really care.

I think it's worth it. After my 14 day faulty return period was over I flashed it, rooted and working away happy.

Yes it's the XEO ROM from Sam firmware website. Just have to root it now and get my ad block back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

if your into the whole "android rooting/ custom roms" thing i would advise looking into custom kernels. What they basically do is let you overclock your device, get better battery life or flash a custom rom. Which just changes the complete look of the software on the phone.

• Advertisement

if your into the whole "android rooting/ custom roms" thing i would advise looking into custom kernels. What they basically do is let you overclock your device, get better battery life or flash a custom rom. Which just changes the complete look of the software on the phone.

Phone has plenty of performance and battery life with a note 3 isn't a problem. I generally finish my work day on 70%.

Tried plenty of ROMs from stock android to different touchwizz kernels. Never seen any improvements. While stock android is slightly faster it loses the functionality Samsung gives you.

Advertisement