Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

Anyone know of any call recorders that work with the Note 3 (kitkat)? I was using ACR and it was doing great but it has stopped working since I did the kitkat system update. When I try to play back a call all I get is a feedback noise. I've tried a good few other call recorders and they all have the same symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Thinking of getting a tablet...not sure if I am wasting my money when the phone is a decent size, do any of you own a tablet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

pinkstars wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a tablet...not sure if I am wasting my money when the phone is a decent size, do any of you own a tablet?
    I have the note 3 and I'm also interested to hear people's views on this because I'm always a click away from buying the tab 3, 8 inch.

I was looking at the 10.1 inch, not sure then if that's too big😂

I was looking at the 10.1 inch, not sure then if that's too big😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I have a Nexus 10 tablet and Note 3.

My Nexus is used for movies/YouTube in bed..Note the rest of the time pretty much.

I did have a Nexus 7 but in all honesty it was too close in size to the Note. The 10" screen on the Nexus 10 is a delight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Anybody else getting the Samsung 'Blurb Checkout' CRappware pushed to their Note 3? I uninstalled it right away yesterday but it got pushed again today. Really bad from Samsung!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Anybody else getting the Samsung 'Blurb Checkout' CRappware pushed to their Note 3? I uninstalled it right away yesterday but it got pushed again today. Really bad from Samsung!

Can't wait for official CyanogenMod port

I'm buying a tab. Should I stay with android tablet if I have a Samsung phone? I'm looking at the ipad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I'm buying a tab. Should I stay with android tablet if I have a Samsung phone? I'm looking at the ipad....

I wouldn't bother with a tablet if you have the note 3. It's the exact same thing with a bigger screen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Conba wrote: »

Yeah I got it today, had no idea what it was so checked the play store. Deleted it immediately.

Well I went and bought an ipad air! With the differing technology android v apple is there any way I can sync apps or mainly photos?

Well I went and bought an ipad air! With the differing technology android v apple is there any way I can sync apps or mainly photos?

User Dropbox. U also get 50GB of space on Galaxy devices too.

I seem to have used all my Dropbox space. How I don't know!! Is there any one as silly as me that use different operating systems?

I seem to have used all my Dropbox space. How I don't know!! Is there any one as silly as me that use different operating systems?

What are you trying to do exactly. Want to of load your photos onto the iPad? Use OneDrive, Google Drive, Box in conjunction if you don't want to pay extra for online storage.

Do you have 50GB of space in your Dropbox? You have to install the Dropbox client on your PC and a couple of other things to get it. Google it if you don't . I got it automatically, but my mum had tick a couple of boxes to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Thinking of switching to a Note 3 (Razr i at the moment), and I've got a couple of questions:

Were I to buy an unlocked N9005 (international version), will I still be able to use LTE on 3?
    Are there any good (near)-stock Android ROMs for the Note 3 that include S-Pen features?
    How does the phone do signal-wise? My house is in a very low signal area. When I had a HTC Desire, my house killed the battery inside six hours. My Razr i manages to last just over a day, in comparison.

What are you trying to do exactly. Want to of load your photos onto the iPad? Use OneDrive, Google Drive, Box in conjunction if you don't want to pay extra for online storage.

Do you have 50GB of space in your Dropbox? You have to install the Dropbox client on your PC and a couple of other things to get it. Google it if you don't . I got it automatically, but my mum had tick a couple of boxes to get it.

Thank you!
    So it's not too big a deal to be using a Samsung Note and an iPad air?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

4.4.2 rolling out for anyone on BTU

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

I'm getting an update right now. Its 409.27MB. My note3 is unlocked.

Thank you!

I doubt it. As said. Don't expect to be able to plug your note into the iPad and manage files that way, but most of pics, videos and documents can be easily managed through cloud storage.

I use Dropbox for pics, OneDrive for documents and YouTube for videos. I just make sure the videos are private after I upload them. Dropbox is terrible for storing videos and trying to watch them after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

ive just had a an upgrade to Android 4.4.2 on my unlocked note 3 but still no 4g LTE option in the settings, any ideas?

edit, 4g is on :D

I doubt it. As said. Don't expect to be able to plug your note into the iPad and manage files that way, but most of pics, videos and documents can be easily managed through cloud storage.

I use Dropbox for pics, OneDrive for documents and YouTube for videos. I just make sure the videos are private after I upload them. Dropbox is terrible for storing videos and trying to watch them after.

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply!

What type of tablet/laptop do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thank you!

Would you not get a Android tablet. So you have two android devices and you can share your apps. Having two different devices you will have to purchase new apps.

chrisbonnie, what network are you on?

That's what I was planning to get I had the Samsung tablet in my hand. And then I fell for what the salesman was selling! *(dumbo!!!)*

That's what I was planning to get I had the Samsung tablet in my hand. And then I fell for what the salesman was selling! *(dumbo!!!)*

I have a Surface Pro. Had the Samsung, Asus and Nexus tablets before. Just didn't see the point of having a big phablet and a tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Serephucus wrote: »
    chrisbonnie, what network are you on?

I'm with 3. I'm in Tallaght and just got 34mb download :-D

I have a Surface Pro. Had the Samsung, Asus and Nexus tablets before. Just didn't see the point of having a big phablet and a tablet.

What is a Surface Pro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

What is a Surface Pro?

Microsoft's Tablet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

anyone having issues with the stock email app after the 4.4.2 update? I have an issue where every time I hold backspace on the keyboard or click it multiple times it jumps up to different works and deletes part of the word until its at the top of the text box. its really driving me crazy and it only does it in the stock email app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Fiddlex wrote: »
    anyone having issues with the stock email app after the 4.4.2 update? I have an issue where every time I hold backspace on the keyboard or click it multiple times it jumps up to different works and deletes part of the word until its at the top of the text box. its really driving me crazy and it only does it in the stock email app!

Have the same thing too. Very similar to an issue that Swiftkey caused last year but in that instance it would delete all the text. Swiftkey drives the stock keyboard so reckon issue may be theirs again.

I am using a Swiftkey Emoji beta and is having exact same issue so thinking its a combination of a Samsung and Swiftkey problem.

Annoys the hell out of me sometimes.. especially when I am so particular about my e-mail etiquette :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

Hi! I noticed that from time to time, without me doing anything the wifi settings re-sets on my phone. So my previously connected wifi settings dont connect and I have to put in the passwords for them again. This has happened twice already and I have had my phone for 3 months now. Any one know whats going on here? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hi! I noticed that from time to time, without me doing anything the wifi settings re-sets on my phone. So my previously connected wifi settings dont connect and I have to put in the passwords for them again. This has happened twice already and I have had my phone for 3 months now. Any one know whats going on here? Thanks!

Mine does this as well. Could happen 2 - 3 times a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

has anyone gone for any extended batteries yet?

just ordered a new 10,000 mAH zerolemon one from the states.

http://zerolemon.com/product/zerolemon-samsung-galaxy-note-3-10000mah-extended-battery-with-nfc-zeroshock-shockproofdustproof-rugged-case/

it looks fecking huge, but should get a few days out of a single charge which is great as the note 3 eats battery when you use it as much as I do.

got it on amazon.com as i couldn't see it on the .co.uk site yet for the N3.

vibe666 wrote: »
    has anyone gone for any extended batteries yet?

just ordered a new 10,000 mAH zerolemon one from the states.

http://zerolemon.com/product/zerolemon-samsung-galaxy-note-3-10000mah-extended-battery-with-nfc-zeroshock-shockproofdustproof-rugged-case/

it looks fecking huge, but should get a few days out of a single charge which is great as the note 3 eats battery when you use it as much as I do.

got it on amazon.com as i couldn't see it on the .co.uk site yet for the N3.

They sound nice on paper, though get annoying fairly quick. Note is big enough as it is, so adding extra bulk gets annoying to carry around in your packet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i wouldn't be using it the whole time, just if i knew i'd be in need of extra juice and not near a power point for an extended period, or using it heavily at a conference or something like that where i need to keep it going regardless of how much i use it. I have a cheap 10,000mAH portable power pack already, but it's significantly bigger than the zerolemon case and the charger cable has a habit of dropping out in my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Is there any news on a 4.4 update for the note 3 with e mobile Notting has been pushed so far ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Samson1

banjobongo wrote: »
    Im having problems with email (oulook) on my new handset. I can send emails from my handset, but not receive them. It all seems to be set up correctly, both my email/web provider (IrishDomains) and my phone provider (Vodafone) have confirmed the problem is not in the email settings. Vodafone are now tryiing to duplicate the problem on a handset they have. No news yet. I suspect its a handset problem.
    Has anybody else experienced this issue?
    (I also set up a gmail account on the handset, its fine, everything else is fine, its just incoming emails...)

This is a known problem for 6 months + & Samsung have not addressed it.
    See forums http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/321972-galaxy-note-3-problem-email-help-3.html
    & http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2474491

Am very happy with Note 3 - but stock email app won't 'push' email.

Have 5 email account settings correctly input - but only one will work / push email. The others will not sync - nor can you make them sync manually.

The only way to force them to receive mail is exactly as thread in above forum :
    "For me I found 2 really dirty ways to get it to manually refresh. May not work for others.

(1) Scroll to the bottom of the mail list and drag upwards. I have a lot of residue email in my mailbox upstream so when I do that it loads more email, and by doing so it seems to get a chance to synchronize with the IMAP account. Of course, I will get more and more old email on the phone.

(2) Change the number of email to download in settings (more settings) and then hit the refresh icon seems to work for me."

Otherwise it will not refresh / sync or receive mail. As the poster - the settings are correct - as forcing "dirty" way makes it receive mail.

For now the answer is use K-9 Mail, which works flawlessly. Cannot see why Samsung cannot sort this bug in over 6 months. Their only answer each time its raised, as in threads, is that "no-one has raised this bug with them before".

I must repeat though - this is some class phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So Scan are selling the Note 3 for £400.

I am humming and hawwing over buying this for the past few days.

I have read the entire thread and people seem to be very happy with the phone.

£400 is a good price so i think i will pull the trigger as the battery life on my HTC One X is very bad.

Got mine last week. Didn't think I'd like a phone this big as much as I do, but I have to say, it's awesome. The only two major problems that I have with it at the moment are Google/Kitkat ones, and not specific to Samsung, or the Note 3.

(Android OS battery drain, and SD card media database updating)

I got mine used for €450 (32GB, unlocked) so I'd say £400 is an excellent price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Just noticed that Amazon.es have this for 475 which is a great price. Seriously tempted to pull the trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Serephucus wrote: »
    Got mine last week. Didn't think I'd like a phone this big as much as I do, but I have to say, it's awesome. The only two major problems that I have with it at the moment are Google/Kitkat ones, and not specific to Samsung, or the Note 3.

(Android OS battery drain, and SD card media database updating)

I got mine used for €450 (32GB, unlocked) so I'd say £400 is an excellent price.

How do you find the size and needing both hands to use it?*

That's the one thing that puts me off the note 3. The large screen is a great feature but I'm wondering if it might get annoying in day to day use.

It's certainly a lot bigger than I'm used to (Razr i - very compact 4.3" phone), and took a few days to get used to, but I don't find it unwieldy. It's the first phone I've ever used where I actually type things in portrait.

There's very little that I ever used one-handed on my phone. I always texted in landscape with two hands, for example. The only thing I did was maybe to read emails/texts/bus times, but in this case you just don't put those shortcuts on the far left of your home screens and you're fine.

There is also a handy shortcut to shrink the screen size in any app, by just swiping your thumb to the left and back. Then you can reach any part of the screen with your thumb

Zagato wrote: »
    There is also a handy shortcut to shrink the screen size in any app, by just swiping your thumb to the left and back. Then you can reach any part of the screen with your thumb

I've managed to do that a couple of times, couldn't replicate it though.

I never use that. I find it a difficult gesture to make with one hand in the first place, and honestly, the phone just isn't that hard to use with one hand that I feel the need to ever use that anyway. YMMV of course.

Edit: So I was just messing around with my dad's 4S there for a bit. First time I've held another phone in over a week. Initial conclusions? iPhones are tiny and I won't be using anything that small in a hurry.

I've managed to do that a couple of times, couldn't replicate it though.

I have to say that since I figured it out, I have never not gotten it to work - not that I use it much; the shortcut for screen capture on the other hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hi all,

I've just rooted (first time I've done it) my Note 3 so I could get rid of all the bloatware.

I was just wondering what happens if an OTA update is pushed out from my provider seeing as I've nuked loads of Samsung and other crud off the phone. (I wouldn't anticipate any in the the next year hopefully as I'm running 4.4.2).

Would I have to restore the phone to the stock firmware and is this easy enough to do or could I just download any updates myself now that the phone is rooted? Also interested to know about possible temporary restoring in case I need to do anything within warranty.

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

There was an update today (I'm with VF) . Mine is now using

Android 4.4.2
    Kernel 3.40-636608
    Updated April 4

There is still no improvement in the battery which seems to be worse though I am wondering if it has to do with the constant searching for 4G (patchy in my area) I have switched to only 3G to see if there is any improvement.

I do think that perhaps there is battery drain from somewhere! But a check of battery stats shows the Android system at 31% by far the biggest.

Screen is next at 12%
    while I also see Android OS at 6%

4.4.3 will be coming in a few weeks. You'll want that, as it's supposed to fix 4.4.2's battery problems (which I'm a huge sufferer of)

If you're anything like me, if you hit Software Update, you'll get a message telling you the device has been modified and can't receive updates (KNOX, most likely). You'll either have to go back to stock (I don't know if stock ROM will work with KNOX already having been tripped though) or grab a custom ROM from XDA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement