Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

scout353 wrote: »
    There was an update today (I'm with VF) . Mine is now using

Android 4.4.2
    Kernel 3.40-636608
    Updated April 4

There is still no improvement in the battery which seems to be worse though I am wondering if it has to do with the constant searching for 4G (patchy in my area) I have switched to only 3G to see if there is any improvement.

I do think that perhaps there is battery drain from somewhere! But a check of battery stats shows the Android system at 31% by far the biggest.

Screen is next at 12%
    while I also see Android OS at 6%

I received the update yesterday. I actually think the update has improved the battery life. It's off charge since 8am and I'm at 60%.
    Since updating to 4.4.2 I'd be at 30% by now usually. Still looking forward to 4.4.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was just wondering if rooting my note 3 and installing a different rom might be a good fix for my battery problems?

i've previously rooted my old desire hd, htc one x, a kindle fire and i've done apple tv's and xboxes and such so i'm not entirely unfamiliar with the concept, but i was curious how difficult it is to root the Note 3 (specifically which tool(s) would be best to use)and what the best rom would be with regards to battery life and general performance?

here's what i have currently.

301621.png

I do have my zerolemon extended battery coming either today or tomorrow, but i don't want to HAVE to use that regularly unless i'm going to be out and about for an extended period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I must be the only one with decent battery life by the sound of it.
    With average use I'm getting at least two full days with between 3 and 4 hours screen time.

I don't think I'm a low user, but guess I don't use Facebook :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For some reason, WiFi absolutely murders my battery. To give you an example, in a very power signal area, jumping between no signal, decent 2G, and barely-there 3G, I get about five times longer battery than on WiFi.

I've disabled all the usual culprits - Google Now, location services, Samsung junk, etc. - and nothing's helped, so I'll put it down to generic "4.4.2 problems". Eagerly awaiting a 4.4.3 ROM on XDA.

If I keep WiFi off except when I need it, I manage around two days with about five hours of screen time. That's with all the bells and whistles turned on, using mostly 3G.

Yeah, here's mine. Not a particularly heavy days usage either. :(

Went down to about 33% Before i started charging it again.

301642.jpg

Also, I do wish the touch version if boards.ie would allow you to embed attached images easily without having to switch to the full site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I just got a note 3 yesterday - love the phone but Im having one very minor, but annoying issue with touchwiz. The "apps" button on the dock has defaulted to the right position....and it won't move central if I drag another docked application to its right. Any ideas? Apart from getting a different launcher, wouldn't mind giving touchwiz a go for a few week s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    I just got a note 3 yesterday - love the phone but Im having one very minor, but annoying issue with touchwiz. The "apps" button on the dock has defaulted to the right position....and it won't move central if I drag another docked application to its right. Any ideas? Apart from getting a different launcher, wouldn't mind giving touchwiz a go for a few week s!

Press the options button and then edit page and then at the top of all the pages you'll see a little home icon so press that on the page you want to set as your home page

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Press the options button and then edit page and then at the top of all the pages you'll see a little home icon so press that on the page you want to set as your home page

Thanks for the reply...but thats not really the problem. The home page I have set is grand, its just thd dock im having the problem with. Im trying to set the applications button in the dock to be centred (circled in my screenshot - S pen is awesome! :) )

So im looking to swap the app button with the messages button - circled in the screenshot - but its not letting me. Its only a small problem, but its just annoying me!

Damn - forgot to attach screenshot. Cheers for the help, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    Damn - forgot to attach screenshot. Cheers for the help, much appreciated.

Don't think that's possible in touch wizz. You'll have to use another launcher to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi, can someone tell me how I can check for updates? I've gotten none yet. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi, can someone tell me how I can check for updates? I've gotten none yet. Thanks

One way is to plug the phone into your computer and use Samsung Kies. The other way is to go to:

Settings -> General tab -> About (last on the list) -> Software Update -> Update.

This will do it for ya.

Have a question of my own for ye. I've had the Note 3 since November and from the day I got it, up until sometime in February maybe, the battery was great, giving me 2 days use easily. It's gone to shite lately though, giving me less than a day of use.

I'm with eMobile so still running 4.3. I've been rooted since the first week but I don't think that's having any bearing. My top battery killers are Android OS, Google Services (I've even turned off Google Now and location services) and Android System. It's getting very annoying having to charge it by 6pm after being used to such great battery life.

Is there anybody else in the same boat? Any news on an eMobile 4.4 update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm on 4.4.2, and I've had crap battery since day one (came with 4.4.2). I've read on other forums that a recent Chrome update messed with battery life, and many people saw improvements by uninstalling Chrome updates and reverting to the factory install. Didn't help me, but YMMV.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm on 4.4.2, and I've had crap battery since day one (came with 4.4.2). I've read on other forums that a recent Chrome update messed with battery life, and many people saw improvements by uninstalling Chrome updates and reverting to the factory install. Didn't help me, but YMMV.

Willing to try anything out so I'll give it a go, cheers.

• Advertisement

So, i get a big fat 10,000mAh zerolemon battery to show off and right at the same time, i get the camera bug and it still eats through the battery. :(

http://www.ibtimes.com/google-working-nexus-5-battery-drain-fix-affects-all-android-devices-kitkat-qualcomm-chips-1559771

302254.png

i've tried removing and re-installing skype, but i don't know if that'll work as skype claimed to have got a workaround for the bug with an update of their own (at least for skype) but even though skype was up to date and i only ever use skype or the default camera app, the bug was still there today even right after restarting the phone.

time will tell i guess, but it's apparently affecting all kitkat android devices with the qualcomm chipset, so at least i'm not alone. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Serephucus wrote: »

How do you uninstall the chrome updates?

How do you uninstall the chrome updates?
    go into application manager (under the general tab in the drop down menu), choose chrome and then tap on uninstall updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There yesterday i got 4.4.2 sent to me from eMobile about time i got the 4.4 Kitkat update.

Phone is a lot faster and just runs a lot better since its been updated from 4.3.

Anyone else with a stock eMobile build get the update as well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

There yesterday i got 4.4.2 sent to me from eMobile about time i got the 4.4 Kitkat update.

Phone is a lot faster and just runs a lot better since its been updated from 4.3.

Just saw your post so checked for software update - downloading now! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Am tempted to get a note 3 off amazon,it says its region locked though,will my irish sim work in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Well its updated. Guess its too early yet to comment properly, but straight off the bat I hate that the data transfer arrows and battery indicator are all now white/grey - isn't monocromatic an apple thing? :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

are expansys.ie reliable to order off of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Top Dog wrote: »
    Well its updated. Guess its too early yet to comment properly, but straight off the bat I hate that the data transfer arrows and battery indicator are all now white/grey - isn't monocromatic an apple thing? :mad:

I like the uniformity. Over the years with Samsung got sick of those green indic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

are expansys.ie reliable to order off of?

They are usually very expensive, but never had a problem with them before. It's region locked to the continent you are in, and only means you have to put a European sim into it. I bought mine from Handtec who I've used a couple of times and always worked out well, it was the cheapest place at the time although I'm sure you'll find it cheaper now.

Zagato wrote: »
    They are usually very expensive, but never had a problem with them before. It's region locked to the continent you are in, and only means you have to put a European sim into it. I bought mine from Handtec who I've used a couple of times and always worked out well, it was the cheapest place at the time although I'm sure you'll find it cheaper now.

How long were you waiting with handtec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well, it's difficult to say exactly. I was waiting because it wasn't in stock as I got it as soon as it came out, came out very quick once they had it -a day or two. I use Parcel Motel too which I think helps.

Has anyone found any issues that should stop me upgrading my eMobile N3 to 4.4? I'm about to unroot and go ahead with it but some feedback would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

dorgasm wrote: »
    Has anyone found any issues that should stop me upgrading my eMobile N3 to 4.4? I'm about to unroot and go ahead with it but some feedback would be handy.

Just my experience but 4.4 working perfectly for me. I'm Vodafone btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

dorgasm wrote: »

Only upgraded yesterday but so far no issues. There are a few updates after the main one so set aside some time to do it. On Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Considering making this my next phone purchase. I like the big screen and the battery life but the last few posts on this page make me question the battery life. What's peoples opinions on it?

Also for people who have had it a few months have you noticed much of a slow down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Ive had the phone a few months now and by and large am very happy with it. I have NEVER used the pen device at all. Has anybody else used the pen feature and if so, would you recommend using it for anything or is it just a useless gimmick?

banjobongo wrote: »
    Ive had the phone a few months now and by and large am very happy with it. I have NEVER used the pen device at all. Has anybody else used the pen feature and if so, would you recommend using it for anything or is it just a useless gimmick?
    my two year old loves scribbling on the screen with it, but other than that and to show people how cool it is that it knows if the phone and pen are separated by more than a few feet and warns you, no not really. i'm sure i'm just missing out on something(s) really cool with it though as a result. :D

That's good to hear. I don;t think I'd use the pen either. I just like the screen, battery and the fact that it look slike it would take a lot to slow this phone down. But I'm not sure about the last part as I've had a lot of phones get slow on me after a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I don't use the pen either. yes it is a bit of a gimmick unless I just don't know how to get the most out of it.

I need to charge it every night, it would not last 2 days running but I do use it a lot during the day (can't keep my hands off it!) So battery life depends on how much you use it. But why would you need such an advanced phone if you were just going to use it for phone calls? It is a miniature computer in your pocket.

The biggest attraction for me is the speed. If yours slows down it's probably clogged up with cached files, keep clearing these and it won't slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

When I'm on call I use the pen to write down phone numbers while on speaker. I can then use the s-pen to call the number. It's very handy for that.
    I find it handy for written notes too.
    Could I live without it....yes, but It's a great feature.

markad1 wrote: »
    When I'm on call I use the pen to write down phone numbers while on speaker. I can then use the s-pen to call the number. It's very handy for that.

that does sound handy.....how does it work?

To use action memo for making calls...

Select action memo.
    Write the number on the pad.
    Select the 3rd icon (link to action), this put's a box around the number and from here select the phone icon. This put the number into the phone keypad for you to make a call.

To use action memo for making calls...

Select action memo.
    Write the number on the pad.
    Select the 3rd icon (link to action), this put's a box around the number and from here select the phone icon. This put the number into the phone keypad for you to make a call.

thanks....but is this based on using a headphone? If you are not using a headphone set, you need to hold the phone to the ear to hear the number and then hold it in your hand to write down the number....
    I must try it!
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

thanks....but is this based on using a headphone? If you are not using a headphone set, you need to hold the phone to the ear to hear the number and then hold it in your hand to write down the number....
    I must try it!
    Thanks!

I use the speaker when I need to write a number not a headset.
    When on a call the option to use the speaker is available.

If I get one an unlocked one in Ireland will it work with a Canadian sim? Or possibly Australian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

I use the S pen to scroll Web pages and type on the keyboard - I find this easier on the fingers - useful if you have an arthritic condition.

Also use it for Google search via handwriting recognition. Simply write into the Google search page.

Another use is writing on pictures I've taken. If I need to measure something I take a picture and write the measurements on the picture.

Also useful for drawing and writing on the scrapbook. Create a note and write, draw etc. For example room measurements.

Also useful for saving portions of Web pages etc as snapshots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Ya I second this, I get a great kick when I have to use it. I've ADD so I've always had the "business" version phone like the Nokia e71 or Blacberrys to help organise my everyday tasks. The Note 3 has made this even easier, to do's, shopping lists, brief notes the lot.

Quick question though for everyone:

Since KitKat when I add a new reminder in the stock Samsung calender app when it goes off and I swipe the X to cancel the alert it goes away but about 10mins later it comes back again, and it keeps doing this until I delete it!

Is anyone else having this issue?

I can't seem to get on with Google's calender app on the the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

wandererz wrote: »
    I use the S pen to scroll Web pages and type on the keyboard - I find this easier on the fingers - useful if you have an arthritic condition.

Also use it for Google search via handwriting recognition. Simply write into the Google search page.

Another use is writing on pictures I've taken. If I need to measure something I take a picture and write the measurements on the picture.

Also useful for drawing and writing on the scrapbook. Create a note and write, draw etc. For example room measurements.

Also useful for saving portions of Web pages etc as snapshots.

I discovered recently that you can use handwriting pretty much anywhere you use the regular keyboard like in messages --->

zd1t.png

Isn't there some site where you can get an unlocked Note 3 new for E425? Some Chinese site I think it is... Does someone have the link and also would that work in both Canada and Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

i use the pen all the time and am looking for a spare if anyone is interested in selling theirs pm me.
    the kitkat update is available on emobile now.
    has anyone tried it on emobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

charlesh wrote: »
    i use the pen all the time and am looking for a spare if anyone is interested in selling theirs pm me.
    the kitkat update is available on emobile now.
    has anyone tried it on emobile?

Updated mine a few weeks ago. I'm also with eMobile.

Going great, a few changes mainly camera now on lock screen and a few nice new wallpapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

hope the mods are okay with this. I'm looking for a second hand Note 3 from someone reliable for about €350 if anyone is selling one. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

griffdaddy wrote: »
    hope the mods are okay with this. I'm looking for a second hand Note 3 from someone reliable for about €350 if anyone is selling one. Thanks!

They still all look to be fetching 400+ on adverts, I was looking myself. You might get lucky though, keep trying.

On the subject of pen uses, mine gets 95% of its use on Snapchat :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement