Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Note 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

eagerv wrote: »
    Updated mine a few weeks ago. I'm also with eMobile.

Going great, a few changes mainly camera now on lock screen and a few nice new wallpapers.

I have updated mine now as well.
    It does seem slightly faster , but that may well be because I did a clean out before upgrading.

Camera on lock screen?
    How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

charlesh wrote: »
    I have updated mine now as well.
    It does seem slightly faster , but that may well be because I did a clean out before upgrading.

Camera on lock screen?
    How do you do that?

The icon for camera app appeared at bottom right on lock screen after update.
    Just swipe, very handy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

griffdaddy wrote: »
    hope the mods are okay with this. I'm looking for a second hand Note 3 from someone reliable for about €350 if anyone is selling one. Thanks!

If I didn't already have a note 3, I'd be aiming for a OnePlus One instead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

There's a nice S5 ROM available on XDA.
    Its a port so expect some bugs. Battery life isn't great for me either.

Android System and Exchange Server keeps my device awake all the time, so it keeps draining like a b*tch, but if you want to give the new visual tweaks a go its there.

Quite like it so far anyway. I didn't see much of a difference to the UI just looking at the reviews, but its a lot nicer when using it.
    One thing I don't like is how apps and folders in the app drawer have to be on separate page :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is anyone noticing a problem with Youtube and Twitter force-closing since the 4.4.2 update? When I uninstall individual app updates they work fine again, but once the app updates come through the play store they stop working again

I've been getting that with Facebook a lot. Everything else fine though.

Hmm I'd flashed the UK official stock rom so that might be causing the problem. I did a factory reset today and got an update immediately. Didn't really seem to resolve the problem. I also have a section in 'About Phone' that says 'United Arab Emirates' TA ID and a random number. I'm still completely unmodified though and the phone is still showing as official. Does anyone else have a region name there? What firmware are people using to debrand to stock?

Could it be something with the apps. My missus has the same issues on her nexus 4. Her phone is completely stock so I doubt it's due to the software modifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

The issue I've been having an issue since I updated to 4.4.2 where I cannot dismiss reminder notifications for my calendar. I dismiss them, but they just pop back up 10mins later as if I had only snoozed them. Anyone else have this, know a cure, it's pretty annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Zagato wrote: »
    The issue I've been having an issue since I updated to 4.4.2 where I cannot dismiss reminder notifications for my calendar. I dismiss them, but they just pop back up 10mins later as if I had only snoozed them. Anyone else have this, know a cure, it's pretty annoying

I posted this a page or two ago, i'm having the same issue, got no responce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I use the Kindle app a lot on my Note3 and recently I noticed that in sunshine its very hard to read the screen. Any tips for increasing the screen brightness for sunny conditions for the KIndle app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

banjobongo wrote: »
    I use the Kindle app a lot on my Note3 and recently I noticed that in sunshine its very hard to read the screen. Any tips for increasing the screen brightness for sunny conditions for the KIndle app?

You're into proper kindle territory there. The amoled screens are always going to have some bit of glare in the sunlight, that's just their nature. I was in the same boat as you, so I ended up buying a kindle paperwhite and as you'd expect, they're in different leagues of readability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Thanks. I used to have a proper kindle device but it broke and I started using my note3 instead. Most times its perfect but the odd time if you are out in the sunshine, its not really a good option....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Looking at getting the note 3 next week, should I just hold out for the note 4? any idea when the 4 is out? played with the note 3 in store and loved it. They kept trying to sell me the s4 which I wasn't as mad about. Is it worth rooting the phone? Haven't used android in a few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Upgraded from the s4 to the note3, and no regrets, it's far superior.

I couldn't wait for the note4 but if you can it's obviously gonna be better again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

One small problem I have with mine, it never remembers to dial out using phone.

Ie, if I'm on a website that has a phone number, touch it to dial, and it will ask me if I want to call using phone /Viber etc, I ghost phone, always, but it never remembers it.

Anyone else?

Ie, if I'm on a website that has a phone number, touch it to dial, and it will ask me if I want to call using phone /Viber etc, I ghost phone, always, but it never remembers it.

Anyone else?

Not sure. As long it's the same pattern to your clicking and the applications haven't changed (install/uninstall new call application) you shouldn't see it again.

No, nothing changed. Still doing it even now.

I'm the same. I have two dialler apps installed and it just won't keep to the default, it always asks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone else?

Same thing happens to me with web links and youtube links on my S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

for those of you who have issues with the phone forgetting all the saved wifi, have you tried to do a factory reset? did it resolve the issue?

No. Had several hard resets and it still from time to time wipes the wifi passwords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

No. Had several hard resets and it still from time to time wipes the wifi passwords.

Thank feck, thought I was losing it, between forgetting wifi, the calender forgetting preferences and reminders not going away I was beginning to think it was my fault :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My battery has gone shocking on my phone i don't even get a day out of it anymore and i keep on killing all the apps when i use them.

Only apps i use are
    Music
    Tinder
    Crome
    Family Guy Quist for stuff
    Whats App
    Facebook and Facebook massager

When i 1st got the phone i was getting 2 days out of it and now 8 hours max

What could be the problem ?

Running 4.4.2 on it :/

@samapple.

It's possible the battery just needs replaced. I'm getting 1 day out of mine, and tbh that's what I've always gotten from mine.

I use mine for work. A lot.

I'm also using it for emails, and the net during the day (again for work), but it's possible your battery has just become depleted.

@samapple.

It's possible the battery just needs replaced. I'm getting 1 day out of mine, and tbh that's what I've always gotten from mine.

I use mine for work. A lot.

I'm also using it for emails, and the net during the day (again for work), but it's possible your battery has just become depleted.

Thats what i have been thinking the last few days. Like there on Sunday took the phone of charging. Went 16KM in the car. Took out my phone played 5 mins of family guy and had a look at my emails 12% was gone that was using the phone on 3.5G :/. So like it gos that stage. Was out on a night out there in 5 hours and just using the phone to txt to see where the lads where and to send the odd snap chat 80% of the battery was used.

Like where is a good place to pick up a proper samsung one ?. As i don't won't to spend to much on one as the Note 4 Will be out in less then 2 months so don't won't to be wasting like 50 euros on one

I have emails turned on my phone as well. I am thinking its the location on tinder that could be killing the battery ?.

Would it be worth while to do a fresh install of 4.4.2 on the phone to see if thats the problem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have the Note 2 and love it. I've had it almost 2 years so due an upgrade in about 6 weeks time. The Note 3 is out almost a year so it should I simply upgrade automatically to the Note 3 or not? Is there a Note 4 due out soon?

I don't use the stylus very much on the Note 2. Would I use it a lot more on the Note 3?

As an alternative to being tied to whatever Network subsidises the cost of the handset I am also thinking of just buying a handset (something like the 5.5 inch screen OnePlus One http://oneplus.net or similar spec Oppo Find 7 http://global.oppo.com/en/products/find7) and going with a sim only contract going forward.

I'd sure appreciate the thoughts of Note 3 owners here on what they'd do in my shoes given the benefit of owning a Note 3 already.

Cheers,

Ben

BenThere wrote: »

I have the Note 2 and love it. I've had it almost 2 years so due an upgrade in about 6 weeks time. The Note 3 is out almost a year so it should I simply upgrade automatically to the Note 3 or not? Is there a Note 4 due out soon?

I don't use the stylus very much on the Note 2. Would I use it a lot more on the Note 3?

As an alternative to being tied to whatever Network subsidises the cost of the handset I am also thinking of just buying a handset (something like the 5.5 inch screen OnePlus One http://oneplus.net or similar spec Oppo Find 7 http://global.oppo.com/en/products/find7) and going with a sim only contract going forward.

I'd sure appreciate the thoughts of Note 3 owners here on what they'd do in my shoes given the benefit of owning a Note 3 already.

Cheers,

Ben

I don't use the note 3's pen anymore than I did on note 2. Though my mother which has my old note 2 uses it everyday for designs and stuff to to put into her little clipboard.

I bought the phone outright when it came out. Hefty tag but it's cheaper for me in the long run than a contract.

Been haveing a another problem on my note 3 and I can't work it out lol.

Every now and then my location on facebook chat changes to turkey ?. But I am clearly in Ireland and the amount of my firends have said why am I in turkey ? Lol

Anyone have a clue what might be wrong with it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Every now and then my location on facebook chat changes to turkey ?. But I am clearly in Ireland and the amount of my firends have said why am I in turkey ? Lol

My weather map puts me in Örebro Sweden! My Google + even made a story from my photographs from last Friday where I was at a wedding in Ballincollig and it show's me taking a flight from Cork to Örebro half way through the wedding?

Yep sometimes happens me too, Jesus it's had me in the Azores, Singapore, Taiwan, India, Afghanistan..... (i could go on)

Personally I like to check in at random to these various exotic locations and count how long it is before the nosey ones on fb start asking "Oooh very Fancy, what ye doing in Singapore"?

Or, " Jesus Banjo you get around dude":

All the while I'm sitting in Kildare or Dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

how much bigger are these phones in comparison to say the galaxy s3? might get the note 4 when it comes out

A good stretch bigger. Especially if you have small hands.

ive pretty regular sized hands, are they really unmanageable? the rumored specs for the note 4 are really tempting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'll be used to it within a few days and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it tbh, esp. if you work in IT and you can pretty much do you job from it on the go! :D

Although having said that, i've just bought a oneplus one, so we'll see how that compares very shortly. :)

are they hard to fit into pockets?

Nope.

No worse than an s4 tbh.

Nope.

No worse than an s4 tbh.

I'd arogue that...I'm not short either.

If you wear a jacket you can put it in your side pocket, I wouldn't class it comfortable in my jeans or chinos or work trousers.

Especially if your sitting down, I've no problem handling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I wouldn't class it comfortable in my jeans or chinos or work trousers.

Especially if your sitting down, I've no problem handling it.

ehh... :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

ive pretty regular sized hands, are they really unmanageable? the rumored specs for the note 4 are really tempting
    You're crazy if you don't wait for the Note 4. You're talking just over a month before it's announced.
    I have the Note 3 and it's absolutely amazing, I was in the same predicament to you last year deciding between the Note 2, HTC one, S4 and I even nearly bought a Z1!
    I'm so glad I waited for the Note 3. For the sake of four weeks you're going to have the latest and greatest technology.
    Size wise, I have mine in a red pepper waterproof case and last week I ripped off the waterproof charging cover so I took it out last week to repair the case and I forgot how sleek and amazing the phone itself is, I can't bear to put it back in the case but in my line of work I'm gonna have to or else I'll have no phone if it takes a plunge.
    Patience is a virtue.

You're crazy if you don't wait for the Note 4. You're talking just over a month before it's announced.
    I have the Note 3 and it's absolutely amazing, I was in the same predicament to you last year deciding between the Note 2, HTC one, S4 and I even nearly bought a Z1!
    I'm so glad I waited for the Note 3. For the sake of four weeks you're going to have the latest and greatest technology.
    Size wise, I have mine in a red pepper waterproof case and last week I ripped off the waterproof charging cover so I took it out last week to repair the case and I forgot how sleek and amazing the phone itself is, I can't bear to put it back in the case but in my line of work I'm gonna have to or else I'll have no phone if it takes a plunge.
    Patience is a virtue.

the note 4 is exactly why im asking about the size :D i am saving up for one, i figure with some of the rumours flying around its going to be an amazing piece of kit, 2k screen, newest cpu decent storage, cant wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I rooted my Note 3 a fair while ago and tripped the KNOX counter.

I'm about a year into a 24 month contract and usually sell my phone when upgrading.

I was wondering to what extent the resale value will be affected by this.

Has anybody tried to sell a rooted Note 3 yet?

Certainly won't be going near Samsung again if it's not going to be possible to root the phone and get rid of their bloatware without voiding my warranty.

anncoates wrote: »

I'm about a year into a 24 month contract and usually sell my phone when upgrading.

Certainly won't be going near Samsung again if it's not going to be possible to root the phone and get rid of their bloatware without voiding my warranty.

I doubt it'll affect the resale value. After your two year contract is up, the warranty is up too so the KNOX counter won't really be a big issue to 99% of people. Tripped my KNOX counter too during my second time rooting and to be honest, I'm not bothered.

dorgasm wrote: »
    I doubt it'll affect the resale value. After your two year contract is up, the warranty is up too so the KNOX counter won't really be a big issue to 99% of people. Tripped my KNOX counter too during my second time rooting and to be honest, I'm not bothered.

I generally upgrade early but this time I'll hang on the few months to see out the warranty as I'm more than happy with the phone still.

Seems an exceptionally sneaky thing of Samsung to do to use an Android OS and penalize you for modifying it just so you can't remove their shitty bloatware.

In my work trousers (slacks), it's fine but in more fitted trousers with front facing pockets like jeans, it can be a bit awkward when driving or sitting dawn. I definitely find myself taking the phone out when I'm sitting down or driving.

Your warranty isn't void in the EU if you root your phone. There's a few discussions on this around the internet. Basically if there's a hardware fault it makes no difference what you have running on it. Obviously they might act the ar$ehole when repairing it if they see it's been modded and try to claim you cause the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hopefully the Note 4 will be out in mid September on Three. My Galaxy SII is really on its last legs.

I believe Samsung have a conference scheduled for the first week of September so fingers crossed it will be announced then.

anncoates wrote: »

It may well add value instead of decreasing it.

Sell it as an 'already rooted' device. Put a brief description in an ad as to why this is more beneficial than an uprooted one.

Loads of folk might prefer to buy already rooted, especially someone not confident on rooting themselves.

Anyone recommend a charger for the car that works?

I'm on my 3rd charger now, and they all seem to be the same, taken forev3r and a day to charge the bloody thing.

I've been plugged in this last half hour and it's went from 18-22% :mad:

Also, if I'm on the phone or using the net, it consumes the battery at a greater rate than it charges it. Surely there's something wrong here.

Bought my last one on Amazon, clearly listed as a note 3 charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Anyone recommend a charger for the car that works?

I'm on my 3rd charger now, and they all seem to be the same, taken forev3r and a day to charge the bloody thing.

I've been plugged in this last half hour and it's went from 18-22% :mad:

Also, if I'm on the phone or using the net, it consumes the battery at a greater rate than it charges it. Surely there's something wrong here.

Bought my last one on Amazon, clearly listed as a note 3 charger.

Normally any charger that is rated for 2 amps or more should have no problem charging the note or even a tablet in a reasonable time.
    Here is an example.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Universal-Charger-Smartphones-Tablets-Black/dp/B00A0L4P0A/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1406733312&sr=8-46&keywords=car+charger+2.1amp