Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I was just onto O2 again to ask about my order as I was being told two different things.

He checked and confirmed it was in the warehouse and would be delivered by Friday. Really not sure what is going on with O2 and if there is actually a delay.

Here is to hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Thor wrote: »
    Not sure on bill pay, but it's €659 on prepay. Got it for €527.99 with the priority discount deal as well.

Is this priority discount to do with their priority moments or something else? Looked at the priority moments deals but couldn't see the note 3 listed

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anitajinks

Was at the ploughing today. Samsung had a note 3 on display , I had a quick play with it. loved it .:D

lemeister wrote: »
    Is this priority discount to do with their priority moments or something else? Looked at the priority moments deals but couldn't see the note 3 listed

Yeah, it's the 20-percent off on upgrades. It's an O2 Priority moments discount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Anitajinks wrote: »
    Was at the ploughing today. Samsung had a note 3 on display , I had a quick play with it. loved it .:D
    They had a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 at the Ploughing Championship?
    That's like having a Condom Machine at Comic con!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I ordered mine yesterday from handtec, was the cheapest place I could find with no upgrades available. Not sure exactly when I'll receive it but probably haven't done myself any favours by requesting the S view cover be shipped with it -God knows when that will be available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Any idea if the prepay version will be locked to it's network?
    At the moment it looks like the cheapest option if it's sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

lafors wrote: »
    Any idea if the prepay version will be locked to it's network?
    At the moment it looks like the cheapest option if it's sim free.

"Usually" the first phones out are not network locked

markad1 wrote: »
    "Usually" the first phones out are not network locked

Well if someone wants to take the risk buy one, let us know how you get on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Well if someone wants to take the risk buy one, let us know how you get on ;)

Just so a network unlock code check on the phone before leaving the shop.

Granted, this can't be done buying online, but a bricks and mortar shops shouldn't have a problem with this.

• Advertisement

See O2 has changed it's date...

http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/product/ql_catalog/catdevice/N9005

The Galaxy Note 3 is expected to arrive the week commencing the 30th September. :(

markad1 wrote: »
    See O2 has changed it's date...

http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/product/ql_catalog/catdevice/N9005

The Galaxy Note 3 is expected to arrive the week commencing the 30th September. :(

Yeah. I think Samsung pushed the date back. At least in Ireland.

Three haven't posted their pricing which suggests they are a few days out as well.

I did confirm with two separate reps at o2 that they had the stock in the warehouse. So this is not a real delay, but rather them pushing the launch date.

Still a little annoyed they would push it for real reason, or at least one they are telling us.

Okay, I got of the phone from O2 and they are in fact still waiting for the stock to arrive into the warehouse, the warehouse has the orders but they are still awaiting the stock to arrive.

I was told they were expecting the stock next week and will be shipping orders out as they were ordered, so the earlier you have pre-ordered the higher on the list for shipping you are.

No something a little more annoying is that the people in the warehouse told her to tell me to expect delivery by the second week of October. We are now going to two weeks delay.

I know they have the 20-percent discount, but being told two days after ordering that it would be next week and now be told it might even be the week after that, is very disappointing to say the least.

In other news, apparently any Note 3 purchased in Europe will only work with mobile operators in Europe. Not really sure why the hell they would implement this type of restriction and why it's only being announced now, but Samsung will get a lot of heat for that choice.

I posted about it shortly ago.

http://geektech.ie/index.php/european-version-of-samsungs-galaxy-note-3-reported-to-not-work-outside-of-europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thor wrote: »
    In other news, apparently any Note 3 purchased in Europe will only work with mobile operators in Europe.[/url]

Bye bye my interest in purchasing the N3. I do a bit of travel to Asia on business and always purchase a PAYG sim on arrival in a new country as VF's roaming rates are punitive.

What an odd decision.

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Bye bye my interest in purchasing the N3. I do a bit of travel to Asia on business and always purchase a PAYG sim on arrival in a new country as VF's roaming rates are punitive.

What an odd decision.

Ben

Exactly, while i don't do a lot if any real travelling outside of Europe. I can imagine a lot of would be Note 3 users would do, considering how business focused the device is on top of everything else.

The fact they didn't announce this before the launch is probably the stupidest thing they could have done besides actually doing it in the first place.

So many people import their phones from the UK to Australia and the US and now this happens. I do believe it will be easy to remove said restriction(I would say chanfire will look into it), but again it should never have been there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

We're not alone waiting in the dark. The folk on Vodafone UK forums seem mighty peeved with how they dont have an answer on Note 3 stock.

Check out the latest page here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

O2 website: 18 month contract at 55 a month and the phone costs 400!

F*ck that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dermighty wrote: »
    O2 website: 18 month contract at 55 a month and the phone costs 400!

F*ck that!

It's more than that - 470!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

They should be giving the phone free with a 24 month contract. What planet are these people living on !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I thought it was 400 for the phone and the rest was set up and the first bill.

That's extortionate, a 32gb iphone 5s probably wont cost that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Due a upgrade from emobile myself and i have had every iPhone from the 3G and going to change over to Note 3 as i like the idea of having a bigger screen and the specs look like a huge upgrade over a iPhone 5

Whats the biggest miro SD card can i put into it 64GB ?

Also is the barratry life going to be better then the iPhone 5 ? as i say i use the phone for about 4 hours a day between emails, facebook, twitter, phone calls, txts and internet and i when i wake up its 100% and by when i head to bed its useably died will there be major difference ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm basing this on the Note 2 but it will take a 64GB card and you will notice a huge increase in battery life. I could get two days sometimes.

Will the N3 work with VF's soon to be released 4G (LTE) network??

That's about the only thing which would tempt me to get it given the silly SIM card restriction.

Ben

It will, but do you think it will be available within the lifetime of this phone?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Well Meteor went live with 4g this morning, so surely VF etc can't be "too" far behind.... right? :(

• Advertisement

Splinter wrote: »
    Well Meteor went live with 4g this morning, so surely VF etc can't be "too" far behind.... right? :(

Fair enough, I hear that it's supposed to begin role out end of next month. All networks in a fairly limited way though, as in Dublin (city) and a few large towns

Zagato wrote: »
    Fair enough, I hear that it's supposed to begin role out end of next month. All networks in a fairly limited way though, as in Dublin (city) and a few large towns

"Dublin, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Limerick and large towns in the South East and South West of Ireland will all be covered from October, according to Vodafone’s head of networks, Sheila Kavanagh. This would represent between 40pc and 55pc of the country’s population at the time of launch, she said."

I probably spend 95% of my time in the Dublin area or areas covered by the initial launch so even a limited roll out out would give me a significant performance improvement 95% of the time ;)

Ben

Oh don't mind me, I'm just b!tching because I'm in Fingal, sitting in one room with my phone in another so that it has one bar of 2G coverage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Vodafone finally have a pre register page for the Note 3.

However, if the restriction regarding overseas is true they will be on a hiding to nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

As said before the new Galaxy Note 3 is region locked
    http://gigaom.com/2013/09/26/seriously-samsung-sorry-european-roamers-but-the-new-galaxy-note-3-is-region-locked/

samsung-sim-lock.jpg

Going to put a serious dent in their sales, turned me off for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That's just plain silly on what will be used by many as a business phone.

I have to say people are making too big a deal of this. I have 2 business phones and have never changed my sim to a local one. I need to receive calls on both numbers all the time so can't afford to take them out. I've been away in the US, Europe and Japan for the last 9 months and I've been using viber/Skype/facetime to reduce costs to practically nothing.

So really what we're seeing is that there is no European sim unlocked phone. It's just a partially sim unlocked (European only) phone. It won't stop me getting one anyway. Guaranteed it can be sim unlocked like any other phone, just make sure you get the LTE octa band version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pre-register on vodafone here: http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/samsung-galaxy-note-3 and enter for a chance to win a Note 3 and a galaxy gear watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Sorry if this is a stupid question but you will obviously will be able to roam outside the EU yes?

yes, with your own or another EU based SIM, you just can't put in a non-EU based SIM card (US, Aisan etc.) and use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Apple are slowly morphing into android, (see the comparisons with the latest ios)

Samsung are slowly morphing into Apple (locking down regions)

Silly decision.

fbrw.jpg

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes, with your own or another EU based SIM, you just can't put in a non-EU based SIM card (US, Aisan etc.) and use that.

I think that your statement is incorrect, according to this info below :
    http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-regional-sim-card-locks-explained-20130926/

Or I got it wrong?

iwo wrote: »
    I think that your statement is incorrect, according to this info below :
    http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-regional-sim-card-locks-explained-20130926/

Or I got it wrong?
    that seems to indicate that as long as you have initially used an EU SIM in the phone it can then be used with a non-EU SIM, but i honestly don't know now.

either way, it's a PR clusterflock from Samsung.

that seems to indicate that as long as you have initially used an EU SIM in the phone it can then be used with a non-EU SIM, but i honestly don't know now.

either way, it's a PR clusterflock from Samsung.

To stop people like me buying stuff from Hong Kong etc... ^_^

• Advertisement

surely an easy solution to that would be for anyone selling one for export will just stick a local sim in it to activate it initially?

surely an easy solution to that would be for anyone selling one for export will just stick a local sim in it to activate it initially?

I wouldn't be happy to buy opened box. Plus, it's more hassle for sellers too. Especially when they don't stock items - which is very common these days.

iwo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy to buy opened box. Plus, it's more hassle for sellers too. Especially when they don't stock items - which is very common these days.
    you'd be a lot happier with an opened box than you'd be if you got it delivered and it wouldn't work until you took it back to the country you bought it from to activate it. :pac:

you'd be a lot happier with an opened box than you'd be if you got it delivered and it wouldn't work until you took it back to the country you bought it from to activate it. :pac:

You just need a sim from the any EU mobile provider to activate, no need to actually be in the country and once it's activated you can use any sim regardless of region.

If you don't have access to a sim card from the original region then Samsung will unlock the device for you, but not sure how someone goes about doing that.

Im sure it will be very easy to buy a sim card on eBay etc... Anyway, it is a thing that made me angry about Samsung. Note 1 i bough from germany few days after releasing it, note 2 immediately from Hong Kong and now i will wait for note 3 for few weeks. I hope that sales will be bad so they will rethink their strategies. 700euro for a phone is too much. I paid 600euro for note 2 which was expensive enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I have to say people are making too big a deal of this. I have 2 business phones and have never changed my sim to a local one.
    Neither have I - but it's the principle of the thing. If they get away with this, will they do something next time that does affect me. It's a pity, I was going to get the Note 3 but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any one else think that the design of the note 3 is brutal, especially the back of the phone. It just lacks any class, their fake leather plastic only makes it look worse with the big camera nipple. Front of the phone reminds me the S2 that was enlarged.

Rally want to get it, but the looks throwing me of.

Any one else think that the design of the note 3 is brutal, especially the back of the phone. It just lacks any class, their fake leather plastic only makes it look worse with the big camera nipple. Front of the phone reminds me the S2 that was enlarged.

I couldn't disagree more, I loved the look of the S2 and the original Note and then Note 3 has gone in their footprints. The design is more symmetrical and overall I think it looks nicer.

Also considering how slim it actually is and it's even lighter than the Z1. I can't really speak to the leather plastic back, but nearly every review/report/experience has given it praise as being better than the glossy plastic as before.

If you are in doubts about the design, wait until it's in store somewhere and check it before buying and see what it's like in person.

I wouldn't care about the back - you can replace it with different type... The thing that bothers me is the "silver" rounding made of.... Plastic ^_^

• Advertisement

Anyone getting put off with all the bad press?

Advertisement