Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka T3 Bolt Spare Parts

Options
  • 29-08-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Last night i had a primer pop from back pressure whilst firing. Luckily i was wearing glasses and the fragments hit my cheek instead of my eyes, this is the second time in 3 years. But now im snookered, the Extractor Plunger and parts all went for a walk halfway through the ejection, i now have a bolt that cant eject a cartridge when fired. So do any off you guys with all your knowledge know where i can get the spare parts needed, i have the part numbers etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ardee sports were the importers of Tikka so perhaps if you give Tony a shout and see if they have spare parts left he might be able to repair it for you.

On a separate note what load or primers are you using? Blown primers are a sign of too high a charge, but it can also be down to pierced primers from the firing pin. The only thing that saved you was the bolt held. If that failed to handle the pressure it's a bolt to the face which may not be survivable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

Was just about to email them cass. I think the problem was the primer pocket on the shell case. I reload and this one must have slipped through the net, im normally pretty savvy when loading and when i come across a case that takes the primer too easily, i chuck it, but this was from a batch i had in the cabinet to use and then chuck. LOOKS like i will be chucking them anyway, the load i use is 60 grain spot on 100%, i don't even go over a .1 of a gram. It was the same issue 3 years back the primer pocket was worn from constant use off the case.. I would get a good few reloads out of the cases, Lapua, I don't know what make this case was, i must have a look. Anytime i fire i always look at the primer to see if has mushroomed out, but all have been 100%, so the load works, but the case didn't though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

60gr. What caliber is it? Sounds big like a 30-06, 7mm, etc. However if i'm mistaken and 60gr is the bullet then you're looking at .223 so you're in or around the 24 - 26 grain mark?

"Loose" primer pockets can be an issue. As you said when they seat too easily with almost no resistance in the priming tool it's time to dump them and invest in some new brass.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

mayfly36 wrote: »
    Last night i had a primer pop from back pressure whilst firing. Luckily i was wearing glasses and the fragments hit my cheek instead of my eyes, this is the second time in 3 years. But now im snookered, the Extractor Plunger and parts all went for a walk halfway through the ejection, i now have a bolt that cant eject a cartridge when fired. So do any off you guys with all your knowledge know where i can get the spare parts needed, i have the part numbers etc.

As far as I know Tikka will not supply a new bolt or parts for it.
    It was the case that if you lost the bolt the rifle needed to be returned to the factory to have a new on fitted and then the gun was re proofed.
    This may have changed now but it's not that long ago since I was told about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    As far as I know Tikka will not supply a new bolt or parts for it.
    It was the case that if you lost the bolt the rifle needed to be returned to the factory to have a new on fitted and then the gun was re proofed.
    This may have changed now but it's not that long ago since I was told about it.

Yes but extractors are a part that have a hard job, after all if you get a sticky case , you have someone yanking that case out and its the extractor that does all the work. Surely replacements are available.

All i can suggest is if you can get someone with a similar rifle who can make a dimensioned sketch of the part , you maybe able to get one wire edm'ed or milled from a piece of tool steel or silver steel if there is an engineers near you.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    60gr. What caliber is it? Sounds big like a 30-06, 7mm, etc. However if i'm mistaken and 60gr is the bullet then you're looking at .223 so you're in or around the 24 - 26 grain mark?

"Loose" primer pockets can be an issue. As you said when they seat too easily with almost no resistance in the priming tool it's time to dump them and invest in some new brass.

spot on, load is 24.9g ive had no reply back from Ardee yet.

rowa wrote: »
    Yes but extractors are a part that have a hard job, after all if you get a sticky case , you have someone yanking that case out and its the extractor that does all the work. Surely replacements are available.

All i can suggest is if you can get someone with a similar rifle who can make a dimensioned sketch of the part , you maybe able to get one wire edm'ed or milled from a piece of tool steel or silver steel if there is an engineers near you.
    No you can get the parts, tikka even supply manual and a list of parts for complete gun, i have managed to get a uk comapany who has ordered the parts and will be with him early next week. But i want to get a spare set JUST INCASE THIS HAPPENS in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

What model t3 was it lad.

What model t3 was it lad.

its the t3 lite 1:8 twist

Advertisement