Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping??

• 29-08-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all, so I'm not exactly new to tattoos, I have 3 already (1 of which is pretty substantial) but I'm getting work done tomorrow and it's going to be free (don't ask, I'm not telling) and I want to tip my artist at least something for being a sound bloke, but don't know how much to be going about it...

How much should I tip, or even at the very least, whats the best rate to tip?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I would tip, and at the very least cover the price of the materials. If it were me, I'd probably throw about €50 their way, maybe more if it took a while and a few sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Like jenizzle, if it's something that's going to take more than an hour, I'd tip about fifty euro. Covers their materials, at least, and it also means they know you're sound, so you might get more free tattoos coming your way after. :pac:

Yeh I'd definitely be throwing 50 quid their way unless you're being a total guinea pig and it turns out awful :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Then again, if you are a ruthless sonofabitch like myself, pay nothing and steal a few things too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 daywalkerx10

Well I'm falling into the "pretty sound" bracket anyways what with bringing the lads muffins (double chocolate devils food) and I'm gonna tip about 40quid it's all I can afford ATM.

Reckon I'd be ok there?

• Advertisement

Well I'm falling into the "pretty sound" bracket anyways what with bringing the lads muffins (double chocolate devils food) and I'm gonna tip about 40quid it's all I can afford ATM.

Reckon I'd be ok there?

Sounds fine to me. How big is the piece? Like, several hours worth of work, or a few hours? If it's just an hour or two, 40 quid sounds fine.

Tbh, I doubt they'll be expecting much anyway, since they've offered to do it for free. Plus, chocolate cake will sweeten them all up. :pac:

Well it's an apprentice so it's gonna be a bit slower than the average but it is in essence an hours work. Like if I was having it done by a fully qualified artist it would be an hour. It's line work all in black, nothing complex at all!

Everybody loves cakey yum yums!

Well it's an apprentice so it's gonna be a bit slower than the average but it is in essence an hours work. Like if I was having it done by a fully qualified artist it would be an hour. It's line work all in black, nothing complex at all!

Everybody loves cakey yum yums!

Ah, then you're fine, 40 euro and cake is grand.

I hate cake, not everyone loves it. :pac:

40 is more than enough in that case.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Ah, then you're fine, 40 euro and cake is grand.

I hate cake, not everyone loves it. :pac:

You've never had my cake, though! My cake is moist and chocolatey and full of calorific goodness! I love my cake but I can't ever have it. The lads are so in for a treat!!

• Advertisement

40 is more than enough in that case.

Yay! Mind eased. Now... For the needles! Eep!!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You've never had my cake, though! My cake is moist and chocolatey and full of calorific goodness! I love my cake but I can't ever have it. The lads are so in for a treat!!

Feck the free tattoo I now have a massive desire for some chocolate cake :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cake me, day walker!!! :D

Would the price you're paying for the tattoo not cover for the materials? Honest question.

Would the price you're paying for the tattoo not cover for the materials? Honest question.
    Not in this instance...
    I'm getting work done tomorrow and it's going to be free (don't ask, I'm not telling) and I want to tip my artist at least something for being a sound bloke

Not in this instance...

Ah apologies, missed that part. In that case, definitely €50. Got a bit scared when people were saying they tip €40-€50 on top of a tattoo. Think the most I ever tipped was a tenner.

I gave an extra €50 before, when the artist took much much longer than he'd thought it'd take, and really spent loads of time making sure it was all looking great, and didn't look for any more money than he'd said originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

What is the going rate for tips these days?

I used to tip about 20-25% at my go-to piercer. I know that's probably a little high, but I liked the crew there, and liked their work. And the jelly beans after! And on the odd occasion I'd come in for a walk in, they'd usually try and squeeze me in pretty quick.

LD 50 wrote: »
    What is the going rate for tips these days?

I used to tip about 20-25% at my go-to piercer. I know that's probably a little high, but I liked the crew there, and liked their work. And the jelly beans after! And on the odd occasion I'd come in for a walk in, they'd usually try and squeeze me in pretty quick.

I don't know what the going rate is, but I've only had small enough pieces done, ranging from 80-200 euro in price. Each time, I've given around 20 euro as a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i gave sean from snakbite a hundred euro tip.he quoted me a price but it ended up taking a lot more sessions than we thought but he only charged me the original price.he even used his own personal freetime after the shop closed to work on it which i thought was pretty sound.he seemed to enjoy workin on it but i felt he deserved a tip nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd generally give the artist the cost of a few pints after they finish up tbh. Just a way of saying a little thank you to them

• Registered Users Posts: 33 K.r.a.t.o.S

Cake!! Nice touch! I wish more people would bring me cake in exchange for stabbing them repeatedly with a bunch of needles!!

Advertisement