Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handbrake (Red) light coming on

Options
  • 29-08-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice again.
    My Handbrake ( Red ) Light on the dashboard is flashing on when I go up some steep hills lately - it goes off when I get back onto level road again.
    I'm told it's probably low on Brake Fluid but I can't see the container for it under the bonnet hood..

Would anyone know where the Brake fluid container is located?
    It's a 1995 Fiat FFB Tabbert - Ducato Campervan.
    Any other advice re this would be welcome also.
    Thanks again

progress.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

False alarm - Think I found it - under the spare wheel under the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    on my 1996 hymer the electric step interlock was wired into the brake light circuit and the light was lit when the step was down,I dont know if your van might be similar but its worth checking.by the way I disconnected my step wiring from the brake after forgetting to raise the step and not seeing the light,its now connected to a xenon alarm flasher on the dash,that does not get ignored
    yours zambo

zambo wrote: »
    Hi
    on my 1996 hymer the electric step interlock was wired into the brake light circuit and the light was lit when the step was down,I dont know if your van might be similar but its worth checking.by the way I disconnected my step wiring from the brake after forgetting to raise the step and not seeing the light,its now connected to a xenon alarm flasher on the dash,that does not get ignored
    yours zambo

Thanks for the info.
    I don't have an electric step so its not an issue for me.
    Thanks thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It doesn't have to be electric , manual steps often are linked to it too.

I topped up the brake fluid container and there's no more red light flashing
    thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Conology wrote: »
    I topped up the brake fluid container and there's no more red light flashing
    thanks for the help

Now, did the fluid go down because of worn brake pads or shoes or is there a leaky cylinder or pipe.
    Brake fluid doesn't just evaporate.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Now, did the fluid go down because of worn brake pads or shoes or is there a leaky cylinder or pipe.
    Brake fluid doesn't just evaporate.

Hi - thanks
    That's an interesting point.
    The cylinder is under the spare wheel and not obviously visible. It has to be screwed out with a wrench and the wheel is quite big and heavy so I would say it was overlooked when being serviced about 2 months ago. I will check with my mechanic just in case though and I'll keep a closer watch out in future and check for any further drop in the cylinder level.
    Thanks for the advice

Advertisement