Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand Sata 2.5" Drive

Options
  • 29-08-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can get a second hand sata drive for laptop. Wifes brothers laptop fecked but he hasn't used it in 12 months so don't want to spend too much in case laptop itself is Ducked. Disc size not too important as it will only be used for Browsing and I'll be putting Vista on it so 60GB or so would be fine

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Why don't you create a bootable USB with a lightweight Linux OS on it? That way you can see if it works and if it is only to be used for browsing then the USB OS would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Try CEX if there is a branch nearby, (I am using a second hand 2.5" now 80GB cost me £12 in the Derry branch) and if you use a bootable Linux on USB, then Puppy is the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Where abouts in the country are you? I've a spare 120GB HDD i'd be willing to part from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

+1 for the Linux USB, and I would definitely advise you against installing Vista on anything. A suggestion for a lightweight Linux OS would be Tails. Instructions here: http://tinyurl.com/blogw9x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lads I was thinkin about the USB and linux, but this chap is useless and will be ringing me every day so it'd be easier to just go with the drive and Windows..

Davo, I'm based in Dublin are you anywhere near ?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

excollier wrote: »
    Try CEX if there is a branch nearby, (I am using a second hand 2.5" now 80GB cost me £12 in the Derry branch) and if you use a bootable Linux on USB, then Puppy is the one to go for.

There is one near where I work, I'll drop in tomorrow and see if they have anything, thanks

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

memoryc.ie is cheap
    250GB 2.5 sata drive
    near HP beside celbridge free to collect but you have to order on line before you collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

uch wrote: »
    Lads I was thinkin about the USB and linux, but this chap is useless and will be ringing me every day so it'd be easier to just go with the drive and Windows..

Davo, I'm based in Dublin are you anywhere near ?
    It's a pity that folk are so afraid of Linux, there is nothing difficult about it. Essentially, the gui of some Linux are very "Windows friendly" (Linux Lite springs to mind or Mint or Zorin) and are free into the bargain. Puppy on a usb flash drive is so handy to have in your pocket, and the gui is not so strange to a Windows user........... But anyway, that's my tuppence worth spent.
    But Vista?? I am saddled with it on a laptop as I need Windows for just two programmes (i-Tunes and a satellite channel list editor) else I would be rid of it immediately.
    Hope you manage to get a decently priced hdd, MemoryC.ie looks like a bargain.

Advertisement