Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&H Alcohol Discussion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

jack does not taste pleasant to me at all. jameson and bushmills for loiiiiiiife!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

My new spirit drink, for when cans just aren't doing it, will b brandy and red bull, what a volatile combination!!

As well as that a Captain Morgan and Orange goes down a treat I find!

Ah Supermacs in Eyre Sq, what a unique place, the stuff that goes down there after a night out is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Where would one procure these ciders? The off-licences I've been in have had woeful selections of cider tbh.

MacIvors you can get in O'Briens. It's expensive enough, I think about €2.50 a bottle maybe a little more, I go out so rarely these days that when I do I don't mind spending a little extra and buying something lovely.

As for the others, any decent craft beer pub should have em. My friends are all into their beer so we usually end up in those pubs and I'll get a nice cider or two there.

One thing to point out, if people are going to start drinking craft beers/ciders, keep an eye on the alcohol percentage, we had a few beers in work that were close to 10%.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Warning: long, snobby post ahead! :D

I drink very little these days that isn't considered "craft".

The journey began with Bulmers, Kopparberg and Guinness. I couldn't stand other beers at all. Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg, Bavaria, I hated them all. Still do!

Then a few years ago I had dinner with a fellow C&H Boardsie, her sister and new brother-in-law, and they introduced me to Cobra beer. I enjoyed that one. :)

That opened the door to trying new things. Asahi, Hoegaarden and Blue Moon came next. They're all quite enjoyable, but not special.

Leffe was my first experience of a certain style of Belgian beer. That led to Duvel, then the Trappist stuff such as Westmalle, La Trappe, Trappistes Rochefort and Chimay. These are the strong ones that Pigwidgeon warns about :P (6.5 - 11.3% ABV.). Delerium Tremens, Kwak and Straffe Hendrik are works of art too. The trick is to get one or two bottles and a decent glass and to enjoy them slowly.

The Irish craft scene is exploding too. Galway Hooker, despite the humorous name, is a great one to start with. It's quite affordable now too. Same with the O'Hara's range (same brewery, Carlow Brewing Co.). 8 Degrees, The Franciscan Well and Stone Well (all Cork), Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne (Kerry), The Porterhouse (Dublin), Trouble Brewing (Kildare) and Whitewater Brewing Company up North are all fantastic. They can be hard to get in different parts of the country though.

€10 spent on the likes of the above tends to be a far more enjoyable drinking experience than cheap beers/spirits & mixers. It's a trial and error process, and tastes vary, but it's well worth experimenting with the smaller brands. I still enjoy the odd cider, and Murphy's and Beamish are just as good as Guinness too. ;)

Advertisement