Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China Diary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

thanks coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ror_74 wrote: »
    If you're not counting calories, or following something like HFLC a good tip is decrease your starch portions ( white rice ), increase vegetable portions and keep meat as lean as possible. Its fairly doable without making significant changes.

He said while munching on pastry :pac:

Telling a man in Asia to lower his intake of rice is like telling an American to lower his intake of McDonalds. It ain't going to happen!

Today I had a bowl of rice porridge for breakfast, the new McDonalds rice burgers for lunch and plan on getting the new KFC Kentucky fried rice for supper. :D

2013/14 - Week 14

Mon - straight after doing the diary I did my 25 consec push ups so that's one goal achieved. Glad I started the diary as it's keeping me motivated. Otherwise I'd be getting lazy. Lets hope the rest of the week is good as well. Did 7 pull ups and 8 chin ups and also got in 900 consecutive skips but got tangled up loads at the end as I was sloppy, arms were wrecked. Did a L1W3#5 core workout as well so today was a good core day.
    Tues - good turbo workout. 10 min WU, 15mins @ 230W, 7min easy spinning and then the harder stuff. 1st set of 2min 45sec at 230W followed by 15sec @330W. 5 reps and each rep the 15secs went up by 20W up to 410W. 2nd set was the same only started at 410W and back to 330W. Much tougher starting at a high wattage and working backwards.
    Wed - rest.
    Turs - L1W3#6. super mans a lot easier today but mountain climbers still kill the abs. Must do them a bit more. Max 9 chin ups. Skipping.
    Fri - got in a good workout in the hills today. Didn't really intend on going hard up them but I seemed to be on good form and shaved 4 seconds off my PB on the hospital side of Xiangshan. Strava records will have to take a backseat me thinks for a while and just focus on form. Headed out for the first time since I got here on friday night and I definitely made up for the last 3 months of relative confinement.
    Sat - mother of all hangovers after last night had me bedridden for the day. I had forgotten how bad a headache I get after drinking vodka. When the vodka is being given out for free it doesn't help. Cue lots of self pity and promises of "I'll never do that again".
    Sun - Rest and recovery. I will never drink again.

Weekly Stats
    Avg HR: 57
    Avg weight: 65.8
    Avg body fat: 16.7
    Avg H2O: 60.9
    Z1: 13min, Z2: 69.5min, Z3: 67min, Z4: 78.5min

Goals for this week
    - More PRs slated - 30push ups, 8 pull ups, 9 chin ups
    - 3 x L1W3 core workouts
    - 3 easy turbo sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

Hello Phil,

Metro German Supermarket do an organic range of veg, and they have tons of imported stuff and also 'good' quality chinese food. For example, you can buy giant bags of pasta, and huge tins of tuna etc.

• Advertisement

I'd beware too much Chinese rice or fruit/veg - as the water quality is so bad. Metro, again, is your best bet, plenty of imported rice etc

I haven't heard of that crowd. Will have a look for them. Carrefour is my usual supermarket of choice but I only get some fruit, porridge and milk, occasionally some cereal (I usually end up eating all the cereal in a day or 2 though so I limit that). I usually eat in a Korean restaurant which seems good. The way I judge a good restaurant from a bad one is whether or not I get the diarrhea. So far so good with the Korean ones. I've stopped going to Chinese restaurants as they add too much oil and MSG. All food ends up tasting the same and leaves the mouth as dry as a cork the next morning.

I actually just got a Brita water filter. I was drinking boiled tap water but I noticed this sort of residue/scum on the surface which probably wasn't doing me any favours. The filter gets rid of it and then I boil it for safe measure.

Carrefour is okay in a bind. Metro is a tad cheaper though for most goods. It was a lifesaver to me in my time over there. Addresses available here:

http://www.thebeijinger.com/directory/metro-cash-and-carry

When you go there first, they might make you register for a card(bring ID) as it is a cash and carry, so chinese people need a business licence to shop there. A side effect of this is that it is usually nice and quiet! Where I lived, they always just scribbled a number on a temporary membership card so i never signed up for a card.

Korean restaurants kickass! And are usually good value, wish Ireland had a few genuine ones.

Thanks for the heads up. There's one near me in Haidian district. Carrefour isn't great at all, mainly processed stuff and the meat is gammy apart from the pork. I'd would really love some proper roast lamb. The aul Korean BBQ food is great alright. I'm really missing things like stew or bacon and turnip though. Will bring along me passport so to Metro during the week. What brought you over here?

2013/14 - Week 15+16

Week 15 was complete rest. Was wrecked all week after the night out on Fri. Probably needed to blow off steam but I won't be going as mad the next time.

Week 16 was all about building it up gradually. Still not feeling very energetic. I'm not sure whether college is taking its toll. Studying Chinese is draining. I can't wait to get over this first semester and actually have a chance to review instead of constantly learning new characters.

Wed - cadence drills. All done at low resistance of 150W. Easy does it.
    Turs - cadence drills. Just upping the time slightly on the turbo to ease back in. Included some fast spinning.
    Sun - leg speed. Hunger knock on the turbo after 25 mins. That's a first.

Need to look at my diet here actually. The quality of the food is definitely not the same as back home plus I mainly eat out. I need to get some proper home cooked stuff. I'm going to start a 12 week program shortly which should get me in good condition for March when a race series starts up here in Beijing. I just need to be consistent with it. I won't be able to put in as much of a base as last year as temperatures have plummeted recently here and going out in freezing weather on my own isn't very appealing. I found a good plan on training4cyclists.com which sounds pretty good. Aimed at those whose time is limited. Again, consistency will be key so I need to get back into doing the core workouts again shortly and building things up slowly but surely.

• Advertisement

2013/14 - Week 17+18

Energy levels seem to have come back. Exams done and dusted so have some time to spend with the family and relax a bit from the books for a bit. Have started cooking a bit more for myself having discovered a few places that sell decent pasta here. Diet consistency will be key over Christmas. Being out of Beijing usually means I have no access to the bike and in-laws think I'm weird when I refuse to eat loads and loads of rice and deep fried food. I also want to steer clear of over indulging for once as I have been pretty disciplined the last few months and don't want to let it all go to waste. Started the training4cyclists winter training plan this week with some testing to determine power zones.

Mon - Cadence drills #8 @ 150W on turbo, easy does it. Watched Keane v Vieira while doing these. Pity Vieira's English wasn't a bit better as I thought he wasn't able to express himself as clearly as he'd have liked. Can totally associate with that feeling.
    Tues - L1W3#7. Good strength session and watched Roche win stage 2 of La Vuelta. He did it in some fashion as well. What a Vuelta he had. Hard to keep track of the skipping, push ups, chin ups but I'm continuing to do them but not being as obsessive in recording them.
    Wed - Winter training Week 1/12: 30min performance test. Was targeting an average of 240W for 20 mins and hit the mark. I think I could manage 260 on the road or if I had a bit of encouragement. Doing these tests on a turbo is 80% mental strength find. Got in an excellent warmup though which really helped set the tone.
    Turs - L1W3#8. Lesson to self - don't do intense turbo workout late at night as I don't sleep well after them. Supermans are getting easier as are the side planks. Found a place that serves gorgeous pasta today. Also indulged in some homemade whole meal bread from a bakery nearby ( thoughI really miss the home baked stuff my wife used to make plus my Mams home made bread with lashings of butter). Hamstring stretches.
    Fri - WT Wk 1/12: 5 min Performance Test. Again set a target before doing this test and managed to hit it. 340W for 5 mins. Asked a friend to drop in to keep me motivated as I knew it would be absolute suffering for those 5-6 mins. He's big into his bodybuilding and fitness so was a useful addition to the exercise. Again, a really good WU in which I ramped up the power and them onto the test. Did 3 mins at 330W and up to 340 and 350W for the last 2 mins. Excruciating pain but well worthwhile. Have my zones now for intensity training.

Weekly Stats
    Avg HR: 57
    Avg weight: 65.9
    Avg body fat: 16.9
    Avg H2O: 60.6
    Z1: 3.5min, Z2: 74.5min, Z3: 34.5min, Z4: 35.5min Z5: 3min 20s

Achieved all my goals for the week apart from the push ups. Got in those chin/pull ups somewhere, completed all my workouts, hit my power targets in tests and ate/slept/drank well. An excellent start to the program.

Week 18 was always going to be a much quieter week training wise. Lots of family duties to fulfill and travel. At the same time I should probably be planning ahead for these type of weeks and trying to sneak in a bit of stretching/jogging if possible. Will have to address this problem as it will no doubt be something that comes up again.

Tues - WT Wk2/12: 5x5min sub threshold. Only bike workout of the week. Good session. Not too taxing but not too easy either. Changes in pace are good.

Major complaint for this week has been my diet. Gone out the window and put on 1kg as of today. Talk about feeling guilty. Pringles, chocolate and too much of everything in general. So, from today, I'm back to being strict as the bloated feeling makes me feel like crap. Going to try and get in a few runs this week as I won't be back in Beijing til the new year. Might be good to get some different type of exercise in as well. Will carry over week 2s training to the new year as I have time to catch up.

Weekly Stats
    Avg HR: 56
    Avg weight: 66.9
    Avg body fat: 17.5
    Avg H2O: 60.3

Goals for this week
    - get in 2-3 30min runs (stretch really well in advance and after)
    - 3 x core sessions (which should have me ready for the next set)
    - not eat excessively

2013/14 - Week 19 (WT:Wk2/12)

Very consistent week. Lots of core work and 2 bike sessions, good diet and rest.

Mon - L1W3: Stability & Bike Handling #10
    Tues - L1W3: Stability & Bike Handling #11
    Wed - Rest
    Turs - TT27: 6(4+2) subthreshold/active recovery
    Fri - TT28: Endurance, 1*15min subthreshold. L1W3: Stability & Bike Handling. 6(1*3) chin/pull ups
    Sat: 7(1*3) chin/pull ups. 6(1*100) skipping. 2(1*15) mountain climbers.
    Sun: L1W4: Endurance workout. 6(1*200) skipping.

Moved on to next set of workouts and hope to get them finished in 3-4 weeks. Not a big step up in difficulty but they are quality. Focusing on reps on other exercises. The endurance workout was really heard. Done on the turbo and included 20, 20 and 15mins at 200W which I found very hard. Had some fast spinning in between and my quads were killing me come the end of the 90mins. Had planned on a few runs but never got round to them. Have started using Joe Friels Cyclists Training Diary and Trainingpeaks to track my progress. It's a useful tool to keep me motivated. Have the next 11 weeks of workouts planned and all I need to do is do them. Makes it easier having a plan.

Goals for this week
    - complete all scheduled sessions early in the day
    - maintain good diet
    - include more fast spinning in recovery periods

2013/14 - Week 20 (WT:Wk3/12)

Another consistent week completing all scheduled workouts.

Mon - TT29: Cadence Drills
    Tues - TT30: 3(10+5) Sub-threshold/Active Recovery
    Wed - L1W4: Endurance #2
    Turs - TT31: 8(4+2) Sub-threshold/Active Recovery
    Fri - L1W4: Endurance #3
    Sat - TT32: (1x15) Sub-threshold Endurance
    Sun - L1W4: Endurance # 3 (planned)

Think I need to retest my threshold as the workouts are getting a bit easier. Pencilled in for next Tues and Turs. Completed all workouts this week and eating well managing to bring the weight down to an average of 65.5kg this week.

Goals for this week
    - see if I can average 250W on 30min FTP test
    - try average 350W 5mins
    - average 65.3kg for the week

2013/14 - Week 21 (WT:Wk4/12)

Mon - L1W4: Endurance #4
    Tues - TT33: 4(3+2) Sub-threshold/Threshold
    Wed - L1W4: Endurance #5
    Turs - TT34: 8(4+2) Sub-threshold/Active Recovery
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - TT35: Z2(4xZ3 bursts)

Good intervals this week which I hadn't being doing this time last year with a mixture of high cadence and slower cadence. Should stand to me for when I get back racing. I remember getting dropped on so many climbs last year when if I could have hung on for another few hundred metres I would have been in the mix. Upper body strength is improving a lot as I can do 7 pull-ups now as opposed to 3 max about 1 month ago. Slowly does it. Good diet all week for once apart from Sun night when I ate like a pig. The guilt afterwards.

In terms of goals, I didn't get round to doing the retesting so I just added 10 watts to my intervals. Averaging 65.5 on the scales the whole time which is still a good weight for January considering it was my racing weight mideseason last year. Was reading Matt Fitzgerald's book (also called Racing Weight) and it has some really motivating stuff in it. Diet is so important when you consider how much cyclists spend just to shave a few hundred grams on carbon components when it would better to shave it off the bellies. But that's why marketing exists.

Have a trip to Taiwan planned for March which will take in the Taipei bike show and get in some major climbing here and here. Really looking forward to it.

Goals for this week
    - 8 pull ups max
    - Do 1min 130-140rpm cadence reasonably comfortably
    - Fish on Mon, Wed & Fri

2013/14 - Week 22 (WT:Wk5/12)

Mon - TT36 8(3+1) Subthreshold/Active Recovery
    Tues - Misc. core # 16
    Wed to Sa - Rest
    Sun - L1W4: Endurance #6

Not much time on the bike this week unfortunately as I've an assignment to finish which involves a mountain of reading and a PEST analysis of China. Actually quite interesting what I've learned so far. A trip to the sticks to my wife's family on Thursday will have here until 6 Feb to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Have to be careful not to indulge as much as Christmas. Good news is that I'm averaging really low weight and eating healthy. Had a low of 64.6 kg on Wednesday and 65kg today after 3 days here in the countryside. It currently sounds like mad here with the amount of crackers being set off, like a good Halloween night in Finglas except it will go on for another 4 days at least. That and the 2 stroke Diesel engines passing by outside are enough to drive anyone mad. Will have to work on the core while I'm here and try to get in some running on e I get this assignment finished.

Achieved my goals of last week. Got in 8 pull-ups which is a tough on the shoulders so as long as I'm consistent in doing them I don't need to be going much higher. Great from upper body strength and balance when climbing out of the saddle. A getting more comfortable in the higher cadence ranges and incorporating them into workouts better. Also had plenty of fish last week in the form of salmon. Not sure if it's farmed though. They say the farmed stuff isn't as good for the omega 3 oils.

Goals for the week
    - keep sane in the place
    - 5 core workouts minimum this week moving onto Level 2 by next weekend
    - 2 runs and watch the diet

2013/14 - Week 23 (WT:Wk5/12)

Mon - rest
    Tues - L1W5: Endurance Workout #6
    Wed/Turs - rest
    Fri - L1W5: Optimum Performance #1
    Sat: L1W5: Optimum Performance #2
    Sun: L1W5: Optimum Performance #3

Haven't done much this week apart from the core work and watching my diet. Freezing cold here and if I go for a run I have no warm shower to look forward to when I get back unfortunately (that's my excuse). Not showering for 2 weeks is uncomfortable to say the least. Diet is pretty good though. Am being very conservative with what I eat seeing as I'm not working out on the bike. New low of 63.7kg on Wed. I still am hovering between 15-16% body fat mark however and am far from skinny so there's still plenty of scope for another 3-4kg weight loss but it's really encouraging to see it going down week by week. A pyramid diet works well for me where I have a large breakfast of mainly oat porridge or yellow rice porridge which is a mixture of yellow millet, soybeans, tartarian buckwheat and white rice. Full of goodness and very filling is the Chinese porridge. Taper the intake then for the rest of the day and try not to eat much after 6 but drink plenty of fluids like Chinese tea, water or a lovely sweet drink made from walnut. Heading back to Beijing tomorrow and will ease into the bike again. I'm not really in a rush to be race ready so I can afford to take my time and be peaking for June when I get back. Temperatures are moving up at last so it will be possible to get out on the road soon.

Goals for the week
    - Minimum 3 x high cadence short workouts
    - 3 core workouts
    - Target a low 63.5kg

2013/14 - Week 24 (WT: Wk5/12)

Mon - rest
    Tues - Misc Core: #17
    Wed - L1W5: #4
    Turs - L1W5: #5, Misc Core #18, TT37: Cadence drills #10, 20 mins
    Fri - Misc Core: #19,
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Rest

Didn't get much done either this week as I had one of our girls with me in Beijing so it's entertaining her mainly but she deserves it, similar recipe for the upcoming week. They've adapted really well here and deserve to be spoiled a bit. Just watched the diet mainly. Contacted Beth McCluskey from Peak Endurance who is going to do up a nutrition plan for me. Again, diet has held me back previously and it is probably the biggest factor if I can't get in the hours on the bike so it's worth paying attention to it in more detail. The core workouts are definitely easier and I managed 60 straight mountain climbers twice without keeling over. They really hurt the abs towards the end.

Didn't hit my targets of 3 workouts as I just can't find the time. Had forgotten how time consuming being with kids is. Fair play to anyone doing a RAS with a few babogs (actually fair play to the other half more so). Hit 63.9kg low but back up to 65 again due to lack of routine more than anything else. So easy to just say I'll just eat have a few of my daughters sweets, it won't make much difference. Only problem is I'm doing the same thing an hour later so I'll have to knock that's on the head this week and get into good habits.

Goals for the week

- Minimum 2 x high cadence short workouts
    - 3 core workouts
    - Target a low of 64kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Contacted Beth McCluskey from Peak Endurance who is going to do up a nutrition plan for me. Again, diet has held me back previously and it is probably the biggest factor if I can't get in the hours on the bike

Have you used a nutritionist before? What is she doing for you?

Interested in this - probably my weak point. I fully understand nutrition and what to eat and don't eat crap, but I find getting the weight down awfully hard.

2013/14 - Week 25 (WT: Wk5/12)

Have never used a Nutritionist. As it turns I have to look for another nutritionist unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances. I had been looking forward to getting a plan with Beth.

Had my worst week in a long time training and eating wise. Had our eldest daughter with me in Beijing this week and did no core and ate lots of rubbish, KFC in particular. Planning ahead is the secret here and if I had the nutrition plan it would help so I'll have to sort something out soon.

Lowest weight I hit this week was 64.1kg but I'm half afraid to stand on the scales now. I don't want to become obsessed with weight however and hope to get back on the bike this week and start back up with the training plan which has stalled on week 5 for the last 3 weeks. Family takes priority though.

Goals for the week
    - get back into the training plan on the bike
    - get a nutrition plan sorted
    - 3 core workouts

2013/14 - Week 26 (WT: Wk5/12)

Mon - TT38: 8(3+1) SubT230W/AR120W
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - Rest
    Turs - TT39: 2(8+4) SubT230W 2min bursts/AR120W
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Misc. Core #21
    Sun - TT40: High Intensity Endurance

Had a good week despite the sessions being relatively short. Was expecting the intervals to be much harder but surprisingly they were ok and I was really focused on each one. Got in some quality high cadence work which took me into HR Z5 for just under 5 mins. Added some bursts into the mix for Thursdays session every 2 mins. I find the more I vary the intervals and not have them drag on for too long in the same manner the easier it is mentally to complete the session. Would love to have the Wahoo Kickr and do Strava segments and be able to plan sessions better but the aul Tacx will have to do. Had a very tough endurance session today. Will need a good rest after it.

Signed up with with Barry Murray for nutrition (optimumnutrition4sport.com). Looking forward to seeing the results. Monitoring my diet for the next few days before submitting a report to him. The 3 main improvements I would like for my nutrition to make are:
    1. To lose 2kg by improving quality of diet, not necessarily reducing quantity
    2. To bring body fat down to 10% over 3-6 months (currently hovering at 16%)
    3. To be aware of what to eat, how much and more specifically when to eat it (have a fair idea already - fresh veg, lean meat, fruit, plenty of water and supplements when required)

Only got in one core session which was mainly sets of pull/chin ups followed by push ups and mountain climbers. Whenever I'm below 65kg I find the pull/chin ups so much easier. So losing 2kg would make the hills much easier provided I don't lose power in the legs (W/kg etc). Reqd in Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight book about this weightless running machine he tried. Fit into boots which adjusts your weight (used mainly by athletes when injured so as not to put as much stress on the joints). Even a 10% weight reduction felt like a massive difference. So this is a good area to home in on if I can't get in much time on the bike.

Goals for the week
    - 3 core workouts but spaced throughout the day
    - Finally get onto week 6 of the winter training bike plan which has stalled for the past month
    - Earlier to bed (no studying Chinese after 11pm as my brain does be having characters floating around preventing me from sleeping)

• Advertisement

2013/14 - Week 27 (WT: Wk6/12)

Mon - Misc. Core #22
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - Rest
    Turs - Rest
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - TT41: 230W Sweet Spot with 300+W Bursts
    Sun - Easy Ride

Quiet week. Pollution was terrible, worst I've ever experienced I think. PM2.5 exceeded 500 for 3-4 days straight so I didn't want to even chance training indoors. Cleared up towards the end of the week but college kept me from doing anything. Anyone who thinks college is the easy life is certainly welcome to give Chinese a try and see what they think. Lots of pull/chin ups, push ups and mountain climber reps on Monday. Good intense session on the turbo on Saturday but I nearly bonked again and had to eat a few bananas and biscuits and even a gel, first time in a long time I've had one. Must be my diet timing. I submitted my diet report to Barry Murray and he should have something for me by Tuesday or Wednesday. Was supposed to do a nice 65k loop with a group this morning but abandoned after 1/2 an hour. First spin outdoors in nearly 3 months and only had windstopper gloves on. Hands were numb after 20 minutes so I came back home. AQI isn't great anyway today.

Spot the difference.

IMG_1413.JPG
    AQI/PM2.5>500

IMG_1443.JPG
    AQI: 27/PM2.5: 9

Have an interesting week coming up. Going to the Taipei bike show on Tuesday in Taiwan. Will help me with a project I'm doing for college plus I might throw out a few CVs while I'm there. Would love to get a job in the bike industry after finishing up college and what better place to go to meet people in this industry. Have a few big rides planned also which I hope I'll have the endurance for. The first brings me around Sun Moon Lake which is supposed to a really picturesque place. Day 2 has 4000m climbing and will push me to my limits I think but it will be at a snails pace with plenty of pit stops. I'm going up to 3250m altitude so i hope I don't suffer from altitude sickness. It's the famous summit used for the taiwan hillclimb except I'll be approaching it from the west instead of the east.
    Puli Day 1: http://connect.garmin.com/course/5525439
    Puli Day 2: http://connect.garmin.com/course/5525615

Goals for the week
    - Network at the bike show
    - Complete the 2 planned epic rides
    - Start on the improved diet

2013/14 - Week 28 (WT: Wk6/12)

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Trip to Taiwan
    Wed - Bike Show
    Turs - Easy Spin
    Fri - Muscular Endurance 1 (Strava)
    Sat - Muscular Endurance 2 (Strava)
    Sun - Back to reality

Eventful beginning to the trip the bike show. My wife, youngest daughter and wife's sister were in Beijing and were going to come to the airport with me. Said we'd get a bus to the subway stop as I had a massive bike case and a carry on case so it was handy having a bit of help. Was just about to hop on the bus when the driver decides there's no more room and closes the door and shouts out to get the next one just behind. In the meantime wife, daughter and wife's sis have already got on. Cue scenes of "did you get off at the subway bus stop (it's only 500m down the road)", "no, we'll get a taxi back"....said I'd head out on my own instead. A lost in translation situation which usually happens a few times a day and I'm guilty myself so I can't complain.

Bit of a nutter of a taxi driver. Lots of tailgating on the way and lane switching without indicating. No need for it. The only good thing is taxis are still relatively cheap here. A 30km trip cost me €16 roughly. Was at a Bank of China in the airport getting some Taiwanese currency and I see this fella with a suitcase trolley with bags on it. He's yapping away to another Chinese lad and I see them do an exchange. €50 notes for Chinese RMB. Strange. I get my ticket and enter the queue and next thing he comes up to me asking me do I want to exchange my money with him, he'll give me a better rate than the bank. Gives me his business card. Seems too good to be true. Give the number on the card a call and his phone rings to see if the number is legit. He must have €50,000 cash in lots of denominations including Taiwan dollars, RMB and Japanese yuan but I decided against the better rate and go with the bank. I ask the bank staff is he here everyday and they just nod. China is a bizarre place.

The flight had a bit of turbulence coming into Taibei which was a bit scary but apart from that it was grand. Taibei is so much different to the mainland. First of all no visas are required for Taiwan which makes life much easier. Efficiency is the name of the game here. At the airport entrance there was an airport staff member asking everyone where they were going and making a note of it. He'd then have a taxi pull up that was appropriate for the amount of baggage (5 door/estate/ppl carrier - all span new Toyotas). The taxi driver was bang on. Wasn't tailgating and actually knew how to use an indicator. Driving here is like back home. The mainland is like the Wild West. A free for all with the first person to get to wherever the winner. Arrived at classmates place and didn't have any phone numbers but through the help of a security guard I managed to find my way to the right apartment. Went to the shop for some grub and after paying for it the salesperson thanked me which I thought was strange and gave a little bow. Didn't really know what to do. I'm used to salespeople in China not even looking at me and giving me the change as if it is painful for them to do it the service is that bad. Here is the complete opposite. The customer is king. The next day I went to the bike show and the politeness of everyone is something to behold. Bus driver thanks me when I get off the bus. All very helpful people who go out of their way to assist me. The MTR (metro) is absolutely spotless here, could literally eat your dinner on the floor of it. No pushing either unlike Beijing where you get an elbow if you don't stand up for yourself. I could go on and on about the differences.

The bike show was great. Tested out the Xpedo power meter which looks good although there's still a bit to work to do I'm told. Release date of around September but no price decided. The Teschner frame was incredibly light at about 800g and had a mounting bracket for the rear brake instead of the traditional screw through the seat stays. My favourite frame of the show was made by a Taiwanese company called Step. Lovely profiles and had an aluminium plate so protect the ahi stays if the chain came off. Really clever little design that one. Met a few useful contacts which will hopefully serve me well for the future. Had planned to cycle the hills of Taibei on Turs morning but it was raining and cold and didn't fancy it. Had a train at 2:30pm to Puli so I had to disassemble the bike and repack it in the case. The bike case I got (OGNS) is a great one. It's a monster of a thing size wise but a great asset to have for travelling in the knowledge that the bike should be safe once packed properly. If you want attention in Asia buy a bike case. Everyone was looking at me hauling it around and wondering what was inside. Before going to the train station I went to a shopping centre to get something for the Mrs. Lots of people bowing at me when I passed there shops. I think it is a Japanese influence as Taiwan used to be a colony of Japan until the end of WW2. Got to the train station early and I was offered an earlier train if I liked. I couldn't believe it. Incredible service. So I took a 1:00pm train which arrived bang on time 58mins later. It was a bullet train and covered the 300km journey in that time. Loads of leg room and exceptional service on board. A bus then from Taizhong to Puli. Amazing infrastructure here in Taiwan with highways on giant stilts some 50m above the ground in places. Raining when I got here so I couldn't get out for a spin but I was wrecked from all the travelling. Got in a tour of the town at night.

Had a massive spin on Friday. Luckily the weather was fine. Had a good breakfast of fruit and cereal and had plenty of food or so I thought. First climb hit me hard as it went straight to 14%. I hadn't really any WU before that and was soon panting like a dog. I was wearing a Swords jersey and Castelli Transparente top as well and it was getting really hot. The Transparente top was later hidden in a box I found on the side of the road and stashed away as I was boiling at that stage. Some really nice climbs 2-3km long and I was taking it easy and stopping lots for photos. I got to Sun Moon Lake and the views were incredible there. The water was incredible blue. Was feeling a bit hungry at that stage after about 2 hours on the bike when I got a whiff of sweet potato. In China people bake it on a barrel with a fire in it and this was the unmistakeable smell of the same thing so I did a quick uturn and enquired to see if my nose was right and it was. Weather started to get hot at this stage and the sun came out so the top was discarded as previously mentioned and the tough climbing began. The mountains here are incredible. I had planned going to 3000m slowly today but things didn't quite workout as planned. When I planned the route I tried to get in every hill possible instead of sticking to the main road. This meant that some of the roads I took were not very well paved and had some really steep sections up to 30%. Going down these is probably worse than going up. I hadn't done much muscular endurance work during the winter and it start led to pay on the last big climb of the day. I was saying to myself I'll stop every 500m I ascend but this quickly changed to every 100m ascended. It was just so steep in places that it had me in bits. I might have been able to handle a steadier gradient. So at about 900m altitude I decided enough was enough and turned around. I couldn't face the prospect of another 2000m climbing on a poor surface. I had to collect my jacket on the way back and was keen to avoid one particularly steep part. This was a big mistake and I took a path which I had mapped out on Garmin courses in advance but didn't realise it was so bad. I probably ascended 300-400m on really poor surface covered with dry leaves and was half expecting a snake to bit me at any moment as I read Taiwan has quite a few snakes in remote areas but thank God I didn't bump into anything save for a logger who told me to turn around as the path doesn't lead anywhere. So I wasted a lot of energy there and had to go back and up the steep part I was trying to avoid. Had to walk it and even at that I was nearly in Z4 HR. didn't have any food left at this stage after going through 2 bananas, a bag of mixed nuts and fruit, 8 oat biscuits, 3 gels and 3 bottles of water. I had also eaten a large sweet potato. Was worried I wouldn't make it back before dark but once I got back to Sun Moon Lake I took the most direct route home and it turned out to be mainly all downhill. Tailed a moped for about 5-10km as well which was deadly. Got back to near the hostel and went straight into a Vietnamese restaurant and ordered a big bowl of beef noodles. Was starving. Absolutely gorgeous. Was an epic spin with over 2400m climbing with a few scares along the way. GP4000 tires are the bomb. Took me over some really rough roads today and no punctures.

I'd planned 157km with loads of climbing for Day 2. In hindsight I should have planned a more local route and stuck to good roads with 2000-3000m gain. I also should have got a bigger cog on the cassette. Was using a 2x which wasn't enough for the steep climbs. Even though I wasn't going above my threshold HR, it was really hard to turn the pedals on such a steep gradient. Had planned on going for a really long out and back ride that would have taken me to 3250m. I don't have the muscular endurance for it at the moment however. First climb of the day had a gradient of 14% that seemed to go on for ages and it was difficult to decide whether to remove clothing or leave it on. Stopped and hid my jacket again (this time a light rain jacket). Held onto Gilet and arm warmers. Gradient steadied out closer to the top at about 1000m and then I went through a really long tunnel that wasn't very well lit. Came out the other side and realised I'd gone off course, should have taken a right hand turn before the tunnel. This was the route I was supposed to be on on the way home. I'd switched off the guidance on the Garmin as I find it annoying at times. Didn't fancy going back through the dark tunnel again so went down the other side of the mountain and into a small town. Lots of friendly faces and waves from the locals. Got back on the route and through another tunnel and when I got out the other side it started to rain. Must have been a sign and I heeded it. Thoughts of going deep into Taiwan with nobody with me in rain was kind of worrying. For this kind of spin you'd want someone with you and possibly a support car if resources permitted. The mist was coming in thick blankets also and above 1000m it would probably have been much worse. So I turned around and climbed back up the mountain I had originally planned on. Unbelievably steep gradient which must have been up on 30% for stretches and even walking them had me bent over with a sore lower back. Met a guy in a van on the way up and chatted for a few minutes. Kind of hard to understand Taiwanese Chinese as the pronunciation is a bit different from the Beijing accent, also they use different words for the same thing. For example a 自行车(bike) in China is a 铁马 in Taiwan so sometimes it can lead to confusion. Similarly they don't usually refer to China as 中国 but instead as 大陆 which means mainland. On leaving he gave me his business card and told me next time I'm back to call him and go for dinner at his home. I think maybe the Irish used to be as open as this but not anymore. Reading the Irish news with the amount of murders you can't blame people for not being so inviting to strangers. I finally got to the top and it peaked at 1500m. My average cadence must have been in the low 40s which had given me a bit of a sore knee. Took plenty of photos of the mist coming in. How people live up here is beyond me. On the descent I hit a ridge in the road which blew the front tube. Only had one spare tube (thought I had 2) so it was a good job I didn't venture too far. I was always only about 15km from a hostel I was staying in but the mountains made it feel further. Some dodgy rarely used roads on the way down and it had rained more on this side so I was cautious going down. Several areas where the road had fractured near the edge. Was glad to get back down to level ground again and collect my jacket. Had about 1500m climbing in a little over 50km.

Taiwan is a beautiful place to go with a bike. The whole country is divided from top to bottom with a ridge of mountains and is populated all along the periphery with its capital Taibei in the north and Taizhong (the bike manufacturing centre of the world) on the west coast. I wish I had more time and better weather to explore there. A much better location for a 1.1 world tour event than Beijing with huge mountains, clean air, unbelievably friendly and obliging people, great food, efficient transport, really good national roads for cycling on with great paths which would be more suited to mountain biking but are still doable for a road bike. I couldn't ask for much more. Just in relation to the transport. I travelled from Puli to Taizhong to Taibei to Taoyuan airport, a journey of about 350km in a little over 3 hours today. Taxi from hostel to bus station and got straight on a bus (they run every 15mins) to Taizhong high speed rail station. Had booked a 9:15 train but if you arrive early and there are seats available you can choose an earlier train. Trains run 2 every 1/2 hour separated by 6 mins. It's about 250km and the train travels about 300km/hr so it only took 50mins. Arrived at Taibei train station (all trains run underground coming into the city) and went upstairs. An attendant helped me with my suitcase into the life. When I got out a person was waiting to inspect my ticket and duly clipped it. She must have communicated by earpiece. Small things like this make life so easy here. No need to go through queues. Just so efficient. Out the door and hop straight into a taxi. Driver was a bit unusual in that he was wearing no shoes and the ground was a bit cold and wet. Looked more like a homeless person than a taxi driver. Was a bit wary but he seemed a. Decent chap. 40mins journey to the airport. Dropped me straight at the front door and when I got in the door the check in desks were right there, no looking around for signs or where to go. Everything is just so well planned. Would advise anyone coming to Asia to give the place a visit.

13056278384_3036bdbf99_c.jpg

13056281414_872cf24cf3_c.jpg

13056091563_294285ec1c_c.jpg

13055966725_8b15fe7bb7_c.jpg

13055968325_3e1c38c676_c.jpg

13056288054_898820d99e_c.jpg
    vbulletin13056278384

13056291414_a55118e2c1_c.jpg
    6.6Km to the top. Nothing but twisting winding roads up to 30% gradients I think.

13056294154_0c8b776a76_c.jpg

13056296094_00a9744cd4_c.jpg

13056297824_ab3dbf397a_c.jpg

13056110883_bfb8f69ecc_c.jpg

13056302804_c2579d4c94_c.jpg

13055987695_1bbc836905_c.jpg

13056117703_ff8fe9aeb7_c.jpg
    In Taiwan Beer we Trust

13056120873_3c9e169c09_c.jpg

13056122923_7d94aa26bc_c.jpg
    Had to walk all of this as it was ridiculously steep (about 400-500m long)

13055998975_b5aa4f5a0f_c.jpg

13056000175_c17cb5d518_c.jpg

13056319864_35ac080272_c.jpg
    Let them eat sweet potato

13056134243_39c14fe085_c.jpg

13056324794_db2522e404_c.jpg

13056007525_7df658fe7f_c.jpg
    Sun Moon Lake at about 500m altitude. Beautiful green/blue water.

13056327854_e15a3bf289_c.jpg

13056012485_b3b5f7ba3e_c.jpg
    This guy liked the smell of my legs.

13056013905_d4b61b2b87_c.jpg

13056145323_372cc48190_c.jpg

13056334664_526d6b16ed_c.jpg
    Tea picking

13056335854_2d9b475be7_c.jpg

13056019725_f44a483dc1_c.jpg
    Protein recovery meal

13056152393_3efa977463_c.jpg
    Bullet trains are bang on time in Taiwan. Photo taken 1 minute after arriving.

13056023055_6fdfaedaf9_c.jpg
    Top of the range laptops in the train station with free internet. Would these last long in Heuston train station? Me thinks not.

13056026605_2064133a35_c.jpg
    You know you're not on the mainland when everyone is lining up in an orderly queue and not spitting 2 minutes.

13056346574_6c3dc2d14e_c.jpg

12958420284_49789465cf_c.jpg

12957983485_40ed639e7c_c.jpg
    Magnetic visors are a nice touch to this helmet.

12957983585_fd2e198011_c.jpg

12958422564_e6cc90ece6_c.jpg
    Giant's president King Liu unavaliable for comment to boards.ie due a hectic schedule.

12958421494_5ac2239290_c.jpg
    My fav frame of the show.

12958421944_c6898fc183_c.jpg
    Anyone recognise the Irish rider in this pic? He rode a lot in the Asian circuit and was an ex-teammate of Martin Irvine and also a previous winner of the Taiwan hillclimb.

12958133363_1800bed767_c.jpg

12958422534_85194c4e17_c.jpg

12958133573_ea137a0f46_c.jpg
    Rather similar to my Dengfu frame

12957986275_46f2e3e544_c.jpg
    Bikes without brake calipers look strange. Took me a minute or two to notice the disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye excellent stuff Phil. Looking good in the Swords gear, I heard Smartlamp were trying to poach you?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye excellent stuff Phil. Looking good in the Swords gear, I heard Smartlamp were trying to poach you?

I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Great pics. Fair play on the climbing. That Step frame is sweet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Class pics, Swords jersey was the 1st cycling jersey I ever owned, passed onto me by a boardsie and then I passed it on when I sold my 1st road bike.

What you make of the frames, are they chinese?

Not sure on the Irish guy, is he the 1st lad on the left :D;)

• Advertisement

:) David McCann 3rd from left. That Taiwanese (not Chinese, big difference) guy rode The RAS in 2011. Really nice chap too but wasn't keen on the Irish weather. Frames are Taiwanese made. I'm no expert but to me the majority of carbon frames made nowadays are pretty decent. Granted Specialized and other big brands haven't excellent R&D but the cost of these are mad.

Advertisement