Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering adopting a cat - advice?

• 29-08-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been thinking strongly about adopting or offering to foster a cat for a while.
    I have never had a cat before so just doing my research now.
    Just wondering what theyre generally like to have? Can they be left alone for long? How much playtime do they need?

I have a dog who seems to really like cats. (i must point out that he has zero prey drive so im confident that there should not be any trouble) He has met them on walks n just seems very curious about them - prob too much because he earned himself a bob on the head from one yesterday!

My main issue is that I dont think I'd be comfortable with them outdoors. Am I just being too over protective of my pets or is it possible for cats to live happily indoors?

Do they shed much? (although my dogs sheds like a christmas tree so whats one more animal?) and lastly, I presume their litter box needs to be changed daily but does it smell?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like I need to really know all the facts before I commit to owning another animal.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Hey!

I adopted my first cat there about 5 months ago and it has been such a good experience! I had never had a cat before either!

What are the generally like to have?

My fella is lovely. Very sweet and affectionate, always following me around the house. But then he'll have his moods where he goes off to a different room and I might not see him for half a day!

Can they be left alone for long?

Depends how long you mean I guess. I'm out of the house from 8-6 five days a week and my cat seems perfectly happy. I wouldn't like to leave him alone for too long though. I don't know!

How much playtime?

Depends on the cat. My guy gets out at night for a few hours so he's happy enough to play outside. I'd imagine if it's an indoor only cat they'd need a bit more attention. Cats are pretty Independant though.

Is it possible for cats to live happily indoors?

I'd say yes to this. Some cats a perfectly happy that way. My cat when I first got him never looked to go out, and was actually too scared to go out for a long time. Now that he's brave he'll sit by the door when I get home so I know he wants to go out. Depends on the cat and it's history. The shelter I got mine from said that the safest way to keep a cat is to have them indoors at all times. So it's pretty normal.

Litter box smell?

I change my one every 3-4 days but it's kept in a room I'm literally never in so the smell wouldn't be bothering me. Depends on the situation I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hi OP, I have 2 cats at the moment, although I would consider myself a dog person! They are great, but like dogs, all have their own personalities, some will be playful and loving, some will be aloof and will allow you to feed them, because they are the boss, so it is only right that you go out to work to pay for their food. :D

As for living indoors only, yes, not a problem as long as you give them plenty of stimulation, places for them to climb, you can get some amazing cat trees, and build your own, theres a whole group of people that build cat furniture out of Ikea furniture, and have made some incredible things. Some rescues will actually only rehome to people that will keep the cat indoors, although I'm not sure if there are any with that policy in Ireland.

Some people also build little runs for the cats outside, obviously it needs a roof on it so that the cat can't climb out, but that way they get to go out in the fresh air without all the dangers, such as cars, poison, other cats, dogs, etc.

Great that you're considering a cat, the rescues are all overflowing with them, so I'm sure you will find one that fits your lifestyle perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

Thanks for your replies, will have a think about things over the next few weeks!
    I had noticed that alot of the cat rescue sites that I've been looking at are saying they are full - which is pretty sad!
    I'll prob go for an older cat anyway, just from reading how hard it is for rescues to rehome them. I really dont have many requirements aside from liking dogs. Would probably prefer one thats a bit friendlier though, I do like to have pets that I can interact with! (although I know with cats, its always on their terms!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

I have two cats, twins, one boy one girl. Took them in some 7 years ago, born in a field on a farm, owner unknown. The girl is a bit of a mad yoke at times and bombs around the house, they both have complete free run and usually amuse themselves but love some toys sprayed with catnip, I play chase with her often and she loves it. Quite likes the lazer but gets bored with it. She loves being outside, sits on the shed and surveys everything around.

The other one, the boy, well he is more of a homebird, hates being out during the day, sometimes when I let him out and close the door he legs it back like some monster is chasing him, bit of a wimp during the day but at night he loves to be out, for a while anyway. He on the other hand absolutely loves the lazer.

If I go away for any longer then a day and night, I have a neighbour come in a feed them. For a day, I just keep them in, food bowls stocked up, sinks filled with water and lots of toys around to play with.

I also regularly mind some dogs, two of these say with me when I mind them. They all get on fine, the girl cat even walks up to one of the dogs and hugs him. But the cats are boss and the dogs seem to know it. All cats are different, you never really know what you get until you get to know them. The shelters will know the temperament of the cats and will know how they will be around dogs. I am sure you will find a perfect companion for both you and your dog. Enjoy you new cat when you get them, they will give you many years of loving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have 3 cats and we wouldn't be without them. They are indoor/outdoor cats and we do play with them every day. Most of the animal rescues are desperate for foster homes for cats and kittens so maybe fostering would be a good idea for you. It would give you an idea of what living with a cat is like and you might even end up adopting the cat/kitten you foster.

Cats like people have their own unique personalities and quirks. My 3 are all different from each other. Some cats will be very affectionate and want a lot of attention, others will be more independent. Often with kittens rescues prefer to rehome 2 kittens together. Good luck with it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If you want to make the rescue centre's day, adopt a black cat. They get passed over because they don't stand out, and are usually the ones that have to wait the longest for someone to take them home. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

timshel. wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have been thinking strongly about adopting or offering to foster a cat for a while.
    I have never had a cat before so just doing my research now.
    Just wondering what theyre generally like to have? Can they be left alone for long? How much playtime do they need?
    Depends on the cat but most cats can be left alone for a full day with out problem. Only ensure they got toys to play with, scratch towers etc. but most will simply sleep throught he time. If unsure you can get two cats to entertain each other (not much additional cost or work from doing so but if you do ensure they were paired at the rescue and not pick two random cats).
    My main issue is that I dont think I'd be comfortable with them outdoors. Am I just being too over protective of my pets or is it possible for cats to live happily indoors?
    I've had up to eight cats all living indoor at one time, my own cats (I'm a foster family for a cat rescue organization) have lived indoors all their life. It is not an issue; simply make sure they got a suitable cat tower or two and can access and look out from the windows.
    Do they shed much? (although my dogs sheds like a christmas tree so whats one more animal?)
    Depends on the cat; if you get a Furminator you can reduce it a lot and the cat tends to live the attention of a Furminator as well.
    I presume their litter box needs to be changed daily but does it smell?
    Depends on what you put in it; personally I'd be inclined to go with wood pellets (only do this change a month after you got the cat) as I find they tend to help counter the smell. If you do go with wood pellets do NOT buy "cat toilet wood pellets" but rather normal "burning" once; it's the same stuff but the "cat toilet" branded once tend to be 5x the price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

Thanks for the tip about the wood pellets Nody, i'm killed buying the cat ones. Try the furminator on the cat first. My lad HATES it and I have the scars to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I have had my guy for nearly 11 yrs now. He goes out in the morning when Im leaving for work, and is generally waiting for me when I come from work, he is in and out then during the evening. I wouldn't be with out him. I very much let him come and go as he pleases, I personally think that is better for cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

Just an update - having thought at length about this, my boyfriend and I decided that maybe the timing was not quite right for a permanent addition to out lives.
    So we offered to help foster for a local animal rescue that works in our area.
    We've just recieved a call to help out with two 8 week old kittens with ringworm (they cant stay where they are as their current foster mammy has quite a few animal in her care)

Our situation is this; My dog is currrently mainly at my parents, he is quite a strange little guy and gets very unsettled in new places so we've been slowly introducing him to our new house. (he is going to be staying with my parents on while I'm at work anyway as I do not want him alone the whole day) so my boyfriend walks him during the day, then i go walk him after work n then he comes down to our house a few days a week for a few hours.
    Im wondering if I do take these kittens do I have to keep them confined to one room to stop the infection spreading? We have an empy room that not used in our house so we have the option of keeping them in there. Would this be ok to do?
    I wouldnt keep a dog seperate from the family (but thats because dogs love human companionship - or are cats completely different?) but they will have each other for company.
    I am going to buy latex gloves so that i can handle them / play with them but are there any other precautions that I can take? Also - how long does ringworm generally take to treat? They dont have any symptoms but their foster mam now has a rash from them so the vet thinks that they might be carrying the infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

timshel. wrote: »
    Im wondering if I do take these kittens do I have to keep them confined to one room to stop the infection spreading? We have an empy room that not used in our house so we have the option of keeping them in there. Would this be ok to do?.

This is a really good website here if you're looking for Ringworm advice. Do be careful to limit the kittens to one room until all treatment is finished as spores can still be infective for up to 2 years potentially.Best of luck ;)

Advertisement