Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo healing stage: peeling

Options
  • 29-08-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Ok, got my tattoo on Saturday, healing is going great I've reached the peeling stage now. I've been using Bepanthen and it's grand, but I was just wondering should I be using something lighter at this stage? Like a moisturiser rather than the medicated 'ointment' kinda thing? I was thinking of getting myself some tattoo goo tomorrow, to help with keeping colours bright, or is that just an old wives tale? I've read the tattoo goo vs bepanhthen thread and there's differing opinions I know... Just wondering if the bepanthen is a bit thick to be putting on when the peeling has started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

You could try Johnson's Baby Lotion?

I know Hellrazer has often suggested it (right?), though you need to LATHER it on. Apparently I used it like bepanthen only putting a small amount on which meant it dried up pretty damn quick, so I didn't have a great time with it and stuck with bepanthen :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I find Aveeno lotion amazing for this stage of the healing process. I have dry skin and itch a lot, but Aveeno nearly stops the itching completely. It soaks in really quickly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Some tattoo studios recommend e45 lotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I usually switch to E45 lotion at this stage in the healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    You could try Johnson's Baby Lotion?

I know Hellrazer has often suggested it (right?), though you need to LATHER it on. Apparently I used it like bepanthen only putting a small amount on which meant it dried up pretty damn quick, so I didn't have a great time with it and stuck with bepanthen :o

Yep, using this at the minute, although I'm at the horrible itchy phase and it's driving me nuts!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cool, thanks guys! I guess the consensus is I can switch to a lotion rather than the ointment. Something to take the itch away would be great it's driving me insane!!! I don't think I have any in the house, i'll have to wait til tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The ribs are peeling a bit on me too at this stage, not itching yet though (touches wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

P_1 wrote: »
    ... not itching yet though (touches wood)

TOUCH wood?? Pffft, I use a 4 x 2 to scratch me itch!!! :p :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

P.K.M. wrote: »
    TOUCH wood?? Pffft, I use a 4 x 2 to scratch me itch!!! :p :pac: :pac:

Oh matron :P

I'm actually surprised how well it's healing for me, going to play some golf tomorrow, thought I'd have to wait a few weeks before I could swing a club without wincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

AFAIK, Hellrazer suggests Johnson's Baby Lotion over E45 because of E45 containing lanolin.

If you're using any lotion, whichever it is, lather it on, and lather it on frequently. It'll soak into the skin much faster than Bepanthen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is that only because most people are sensitive to lanolin or would it effect the tattoo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Can't remember for sure, but lanolin can cause allergic reactions/skin reactions in quite a large amount of people.

Advertisement