Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a rented property

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You do not paint a house every time you get new tenants- you'd go bankrupt in no time flat. Why should you have to repaint after every tenant- this is probably where you and I disagree most- it is *not* normal for a landlord to habitually repaint a house (or apartment) after a letting- esp. if the letting was only for a 2 year period. Restorative work after a tenancy- is expected to last 5 years (according to the Revenue Commissioners) and if while there will be normal wear and tear associated with a tenancy- the idea that you'd repaint after only 2 years, is bizarre in the extreme........

When we moved into our rented property, the landlord had just decorated throughout and put in a new kitchen and new mattresses on the beds.

We've been there nearly five years. And we're in the middle of repainting the house as it was looking a bit shabby. LL's paying for the paint, we're doing the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As stated before the OP should have giving the wall a wash with sugar soap. He would then not be in this situation. A house should only need painting every 5 years, if it requires painting after 2 then that's not standard wear and tear.

OP offer to go back and wash the walls or pay 50 quid for a cleaner do go in and wash them. There is no need for a repaint. If there is and it was painted 2 years ago then the landlord is right in charging you. But she can only hold your deposit if she shows you receipts. She can not charge for her own time. I.e if she does it herself.

If she insists on getting a painter I have a good fellow I use who charges about 50 euro a room, so about 300 for a 3 bed. He is based in Dublin.

Advertisement