Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom removing VOIP on fibre?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭

So i entered into the fibre pilot back in january 2012. We had a few issues due to the wiring in the house setting up the voip. Now at the time of ordering the fibre i was never informed that the voip was a mandatory change as well but we went ahead with it and after 3-4 months eircom fixed the problems we had with it. Now yesterday i got a call from someone at Eircom saying the voip was being removed and we were being returned to a pstn line. She claimed that this had always been the plan and we would have been informed about it when originally ordering it. Since i had never been informed about the voip in the first place how was i meant to know it was eventually going be removed? And whats the point of removing it? Also apparently we have to go without our landline for 5 days for this changeover to occur?
    Is this legit? and if so its a pretty disgraceful way to do business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

VinLieger wrote: »
    So i entered into the fibre pilot back in january 2012. We had a few issues due to the wiring in the house setting up the voip. Now at the time of ordering the fibre i was never informed that the voip was a mandatory change as well but we went ahead with it and after 3-4 months eircom fixed the problems we had with it. Now yesterday i got a call from someone at Eircom saying the voip was being removed and we were being returned to a pstn line. She claimed that this had always been the plan and we would have been informed about it when originally ordering it. Since i had never been informed about the voip in the first place how was i meant to know it was eventually going be removed? And whats the point of removing it? Also apparently we have to go without our landline for 5 days for this changeover to occur?

Hi VinLieger

I will need to look into this and confirm it for you. I should get back to you early next week.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hi Mark, thanks for your help, do you have any news regards this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 m03et005

Hi VinLieger,

I took part in the fibre pilot too. I wanted to avail of the efibre price plans because they are cheaper with for the equivalent speeds and was told I would have to get a copper ie. non VoIP landline reinstalled. The issue seems to be that they cannot migrate a customer to the new efibre billing system without a landline. Surely it would be easier to adjust the price plans for the few hundred existing pilot customers as I suggested. I think I'm now going into my fourth month trying to get my issues resolved. I'd be interested in any response you receive. I would not advise anybody to participate in any future eircom pilot scheme e.g. Their proposed tv service. Wait until the rollout is established. 

Regards

Yeah we had serious billing problems for 4-5 months where we were getting charged for the efibre and our old plan and the same time and nobody within eircom seemed to have a clue how to fix it since it was a pilot program. I guess thats what pilot programs are for finding the cracks in the system but after that experience i deffinitely would not advise anyone i know to participate in one.

Any update on this?

• Advertisement

Any update on this?

Hi VinLieger

I still have not got confirmation. I will follow up again with you,

Mark

Hi VinLieger

I have been advised a manger in our products team will give you a call to discuss the Voip situation.

Let us know if you do not get a call by Tuesday.

Mark

Hi Mark unfortunately theres rarely anyone in the house during the day. I had hoped whoever you had organised might leave a message and i could call them back but that doesnt seem to be the case, however I will be at home tomorrow afternoon if you can arrange a call for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I also have been part of the pilot system since 2012. Had a call from an eircom sales rep a month or 2 ago telling me the very same thing that the VOIP was only temporary during the pilot and was now being taken away unless I wanted to pay €10 a month extra for VOIP and that a letter was on the way in the post to that effect. I told her that firstly I'd prefer to wait for the letter as having a cold caller announce this over the phone was not conducive to me believing it. I also said I was quite annoyed that this was happening as this was in no way indicated to me when I signed up but I was not surprised as I had been miss-sold products from eircom on 2 previous occasions (and in fact lied to on one occasion as I had an email confirming something that turned out to be untrue).

I need my bills to be coming down, not going up and that was why I chose to enter the pilot as it was cheaper than the package I was on.
    She said she couldn't offer a broadband only package but she would talk to her manager the following Monday and check in the meantime the telephone conversation that was had when I signed up to see if it was true that the VOIP being temporary was not mentioned. I never heard back from her and am still waiting for that letter to come... so I think it would be useful to post here what the manager in your products team is phoning the OP to say for clarification on the matter.

Is there any update here? Ive been waiting for a phone call for nearly 2 weeks? Unfortunately there is not someone always in the house during the day but you would think they would at least leave a message so you could get back to them at a better time?
    This is quite worrying as so far i have heard nothing to confirm or deny whether what basically amounted to a threat to cut off our phone line at the end of september will actually happen?

• Advertisement

Is there any update here? Ive been waiting for a phone call for nearly 2 weeks? Unfortunately there is not someone always in the house during the day but you would think they would at least leave a message so you could get back to them at a better time?
    This is quite worrying as so far i have heard nothing to confirm or deny whether what basically amounted to a threat to cut off our phone line at the end of september will actually happen?
    Hi VinLieger

I have sent on another request. My apologies I was advised the call back had been arranged. I hope to get back to you soon.

Mark

Hi VinLieger

I was assured a call back had been done? Can you confirm this.

Thanks, Mark

Yes it turns out one had however for some reason it never showed up in our message system. I had to do router reset last night as for some reason the line had gone dead and then the message appeared after the reset. I'm attempting to get in touch now and have left a message with the person who rang.

Yes it turns out one had however for some reason it never showed up in our message system. I had to do router reset last night as for some reason the line had gone dead and then the message appeared after the reset. I'm attempting to get in touch now and have left a message with the person who rang.
    Hi VinLieger

Ok, I will follow up from here again to the voip migration team.

Thanks, Mark

Okay after contacting several departments and hearing many different versions of what was going to happen it looked like I finally had this sorted .
    Was called by someone organising this on the VOIP team yesterday who said they would initiate the line seizure.
    I asked if I could ring back in 5 minutes just so I could confirm other things regarding this. I do so and I go straight into their voicemail.

Ive tried to call them several times since Lunchtime yesterday and left several voicemails but have had no response. After 5 months of being given the run around by eircom there is apparently only two days left to get this fixed before we lose our landline and unsurprisingly it has all been left to the last minute by your team as I always feared it would be.

Even so I firmly believe as I have stated since this whole thing began to every agent I have dealt with that this whole thing is not going to work due to what was originally changed by your engineers when he specifically said to me "if i change this it cannot be changed back to a pstn line". Yet every time I have requested a technician it has been flatly refused so I fully expect this to not work at all and us to be without our phone for the entire christmas break which after 5 months of dealing with this is quite ridiculous.

So it seems like most of Eircom has gone home for christmas already? Are you kidding me with this service? This issue has been going on for months and now 3 days before the deadline of a problem your teams have strung out there is nobody available to fix it?

So it seems like most of Eircom has gone home for christmas already? Are you kidding me with this service? This issue has been going on for months and now 3 days before the deadline of a problem your teams have strung out there is nobody available to fix it?
    Hi VinLieger

Sorry for the delay in replying. I understand this has been ongoing and I have now escalated this to a manager for you. I will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Unfortunately there is no way I can guarantee before Christmas.  Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Thanks
    Ask

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response I was able to finally make contact with someone in the VOIP department yesterday and apparently we will not be loosing service and will be contacted after christmas with regard to the changeover. However I would also be grateful to have this doubly confirmed by you

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response I was able to finally make contact with someone in the VOIP department yesterday and apparently we will not be loosing service and will be contacted after christmas with regard to the changeover. However I would also be grateful to have this doubly confirmed by you
    Hi VinLieger

I received an update from the VOIP team and they got back to us as follows:

"We have spoke to the customer and have explained the process as regards to the ending of the VoIP pilot project. I advised him that his service will remain in place until the New Year, when we will then, be in a position to organise the switch to a PSTN line which may require an installation from one of our technicians."

Unfortunately as they outlined above we would be unable to get an engineer out before January. However we will follow up with them and we will get an update in the New Year.

Thanks
    Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement